FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
What's your latest rum purchase?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-02 6:32 pm   Permalink

just use 2 oz of the V/X for your mai-tai, it will be great.

W&N Overproof is known as tasting like kerosene and being an acquired-taste. Many folks use it solely as a preservative in their home-made syrups and tinctures. jamaicans add it to their milk at bedtime (i like this, with cacao added as well). it tastes to me like karo syrup.

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2014-02-02 18:33 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-03 09:31 am   Permalink

I love J Wray Overproof but it is very much an acquired taste and it's a challenge to tame the beast in cocktails. It makes a great combination rum in Planters Punch style drinks and it pairs superbly with the "Jasper's Mix" combination of lime juice, sugar, Angostura Botters and nutmeg. I'm also fond of H Wray and Ting Jamaican grapefruit soda with a good squeeze of lime.

I have to admit I have not tried it in milk and my stomach just turned a little thinking about it. But there are plenty of milk punch cocktails I love so maybe I need to give it a try.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-03 3:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the suggestions!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-03 4:10 pm   Permalink

I agree with thePorpoise. 2 oz of V/X will make a fine mai tai. I personally don't think it is absolutely necessary to use two different rums at all, especially if the one you use is good to start with.

And W + N is definitely an acquired taste. As is Chartruese, but the two of them together with falernum and lime juice in a Nuclear Daiquiri make a damn tasty, albeit strong, drink.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2014-02-03 16:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2014-02-03 16:13 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-04 08:03 am   Permalink

If you like Smith & Cross, you should check out the J Wray Overproof(or vice versa), it's brings the funk/hogo I like in a Jamaican rum. Really like it in the Jasper's Jamaican, as outlined in Haigh's "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" book

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-05 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-02 16:20, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Today I bought Appleton V/X and Wray & Nephew...

Good choices Lori!

I originally made my mai tais with straight VX, its got a kick! I figure it should a luxury drink so I make it a bit softer nowadays. VX is one of those rums I try out in different drinks again & again.

W&N tastes exactly like what it is - 'white' 'overproof' 'jamaican' rum.

You dont need to put huge amounts in a drink to give a flavour, a half shot of W&N & a shot of normal rum will add something.

My girlfriends favorite daiquiri is equal parts W&N & triple sec, 1 part lime, 1/2 sugar syrup... enjoy

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-13 09:48 am   Permalink

Latest rum purchase: Received two bottles of Cana Brava 3 year today. Gonna spend some time with Beachbum's new book this weekend.

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 5:03 pm   Permalink

Got a bottle of R.L. Seale's 10 yrs. from a friend last night.
I have no idea what to do with this and what recipe to use it in. I think it is a sipping rum, any suggestions?
It says the company started making quality rum in Barbados during 1620's. and the island inhabitants, Bajans, (love that name, it is mentioned a lot in Beachbums new book) favor this rum.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 7:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-13 17:03, hiltiki wrote:
Got a bottle of R.L. Seale's 10 yrs. from a friend last night.

It says the company started making quality rum in Barbados during 1620's. and the island inhabitants, Bajans, (love that name, it is mentioned a lot in Beachbums new book) favor this rum.

iirc, they make Doorly's; Taylor Velvet Falernum; and many other product brands

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 7:58 pm   Permalink

cruzan black strap.

i had hoped my recollection of this being a lousy rum was merely the product of a foggy memory; but alas, this rum still sucks.

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 8:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-13 19:58, thePorpoise wrote:
cruzan black strap.

i had hoped my recollection of this being a lousy rum was merely the product of a foggy memory; but alas, this rum still sucks.

Cruzan Blackstrap is absolutely indespensible in Corn 'N Oils. Equal parts Blackstrap and good homemade Falernum with a nice ginger and clove bite is one of the best drinks you'll ever have.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-02-13 20:25 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 8:47 pm   Permalink

I prefer mine with Gosling's Black Seal.

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 10:03 am   Permalink

I, too, use the Blackstrap for Corn N Oil. I think I recall somebody here saying they occasionally use it as a float in their Navy Grog as well.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maitai Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-14 3:14 pm   Permalink

Finally got hold of this stuff. Best sipping rum ever!

View Profile of Maitai Mike Send a personal message to Maitai Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 4:25 pm   Permalink

Two winners right there. I prefer the 15 as a sipper (one of my favorites), but a Mai Tai made with ED 12 and Appleton 12 is pretty much perfection.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation