FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 )
What's your latest rum purchase?
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-08-02 12:10 pm   Permalink

I took a recent trip to California and made sure to make a few tiki stops on the way. This included a trip to the Tonga Hut and Hi-Time Wines. Since we drove, I was able to bring back a nice haul to Texas.

For the rums, I grabbed a few different Rhum Agricoles that I can't find in Texas. I am very excited to try the Clement Canne Bleue. Skipper showed out of stock on the Hi-Time website so I was pleasantly surprised to see it on the shelf to add to my demerara collection. Coruba is hard to find here so I figured I would grab a 1L bottle.

At Hi-Time, I also bought some Zombie glasses and cherries (red and green for garnish). At Tonga Hut, I chose a rum barrel mug over a t-shirt as I figured it would last longer (and probably get more use).

Rick in Texas

View Profile of rbeyer68 Send a personal message to rbeyer68  Goto the website of rbeyer68     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-08-02 1:52 pm   Permalink

Nice haul Rick. Are you from the Dallas area? Coruba is pretty easy to find here in Austin and I know I've seen the Canne Bleue on shelves of atleast one store and possibly Neisson as well. I think Spec's are statewide and it would be worth inquiring with them about making special orders for you or becoming friends with the owner of an independent store. Some really go out of their way to cater to people's needs.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-08-03 06:10 am   Permalink

I live in Plano just north of Dallas. I did find Coruba locally in the past but it was not easy. When I saw the 1L bottle for $16 I knew it was a must buy.

Canne Bleue showed available at Specs in the past but when I went to the store they said it was not available in North Texas. I have never seen Neisson up here as well. I do have an independent store a few blocks away that I have talked to in the past and will see what he can do to order some of the new (old) products coming on the market. The adventure of traveling and finding those hidden gems is one of my new favorite things.

View Profile of rbeyer68 Send a personal message to rbeyer68  Goto the website of rbeyer68     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Warboys
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-08-03 10:49 am   Permalink

Hey all, it's been a while!

Was in duty free the other day and picked up some Zacapa 23. I always thought of Zacapa as a rum to drink straight... but honestly I didn't like it that much so I'll start using it in my cocktails.

What category does it fit into? Are there rums in the same category that I can replace with Zacapa? I've read somewhere about someone sticking it in a Mai Tai (although what can you NOT stick in a Mai Tai!).

View Profile of Warboys Send a personal message to Warboys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-08-03 11:10 am   Permalink

In his new book Smugglers Cove, Martin Cate has Zacapa 23 under the Column Still Aged (4) category. He seems to use it mainly in cocktails that he created.

Rick in Texas

mmaurice

Posted: 2016-08-03 1:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-03 10:49, Warboys wrote:
Hey all, it's been a while!

Was in duty free the other day and picked up some Zacapa 23. I always thought of Zacapa as a rum to drink straight... but honestly I didn't like it that much so I'll start using it in my cocktails.

What category does it fit into? Are there rums in the same category that I can replace with Zacapa? I've read somewhere about someone sticking it in a Mai Tai (although what can you NOT stick in a Mai Tai!).

I used it the other day in a high end Trader Vic Style Navy Grog

2oz Homemade TV Grog Syrup (http://5minutesofrum.com/blog/2014/4/10/spice-syrup)
1oz Lime
0.5oz Grapefruit
1oz Zacapa 23
1oz Appleton 12yr
1oz El Dorado 12yr

Damn tasty!!!

View Profile of mmaurice Send a personal message to mmaurice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-07 9:56 pm   Permalink

I was browsing the rum shelves at my local Von’s and the store was clearing out their stock of Kozi Bay gold and silver . At $2.97 I thought I would give it a try. As expected it’s on the harsh side with a strong alcohol nose. But, it worked well in a Miehana. I use the recipe that Hang10 posted some time ago. It use to sell for a about 15 bucks - I thought it was a store brand rum.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 2:35 pm   Permalink

I don’t use Kraken much cept in a false “Painkiller”. I was browsing the holiday liquor promos and spotted this one
15 bucks at Albertsons (La Habra, Ca.)15 bucks is the regular price for just the rum so I grabbed a couple. I saw em the next day for $21 at the new BevMo in Whittier. Btw, some of the mugs have much crisper detail than others. I don’t know if these are new this year-I did see one on an Etsy site yesterday.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 15 days ago; 3:02 pm   Permalink

Plantation OFTD was suppose to hit the Austin market yesterday but didn't show up. I picked this up as a consolation.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 6:49 pm   Permalink

Found this at the back of my bar. I think a barkeep gave it to me a long time ago. Has a nice nose-gonna go with me down to Shelter Island (San Diego) this weekend.
Cheers

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 6:49 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-11-23 18:50 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation