FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
What's your latest rum purchase?
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 5 days ago; 11:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-22 22:04, wupput wrote:

Nice onions... I think?!

Hope you like the El Dorado 8 & 12!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 5 days ago; 2:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Nice onions... I think?!

Hope you like the El Dorado 8 & 12!

Thanks AdOrAdam. I have been experimenting with onion tiki drinks quite extensively. It started out with simple Onion Daiquiris and Punches and moved on to some special drinks I've made myself, like the Flaming Onion Death Star:

Cut the top third off a red onion, scoop out the onion inside and set aside. Fill the now hollow onion shell with:
2 oz Overproof Demerara
1/2 oz cinnamon syrup
1/2 oz Falernum
1 tsp fresh gunpowder

ignite, sip, and throw.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 5 days ago; 2:26 pm   Permalink

OK, that's a pack of lies.

Those are fresh passion fruit, $5 a pound, from a local farmer's market. Last night they were transformed into about 2 cups of delicious passion fruit syrup. While it may not be quite as good as Aunty Lilikoi it's getting there...

My rum purchases, picked up a bottle of Coruba Coconut and Coruba Spiced because they are on close-out a Hi Time - $4.99 each. I doubt I'll use them much but I do see the occasional cocktail calling for spiced or coconut rum.

I loved the El Dorado 12 but the big surprise to me was the El Dorado 8 which I really enjoyed even as a sipper.

My disappointment so far was the Cruzan white. I thought it could become my standard mixing white but after making some Rum Kegs with it last night I'm not sure. I had been using El Dorado 3 year white before and the flavor difference switching to the Cruzan was noticeably bad, for me, though my wife didn't seem to care. At half the price, I guess you get what you pay for.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 5 days ago; 2:55 pm   Permalink

@wuppet:

Yeah, I had a bottle of Cruzan White once upon a time - I rate it almost on par with the Bat (!), not to my taste...

El Dorado 8 is my demerara rum of choice in most situations (not requiring overproof) - I got a bottle out of curiosity & it blows the 5 year away. It's one of my 'go to' rums I restock when multiples of when I see it cheap.

Flaming Onion Deathstar, I gotcha

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 5 days ago; 3:01 pm   Permalink

Hi Time is selling the 8 year for the same price as the 5 year which makes me wonder why I picked up the 5 last time? And that's only a dollar more than the white. So the 8 year is a great deal. Looks like you're in the UK though so that might not help.
http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-101816-0000-el-dorado-8-year-old-fine-cask-aged-rum-guyana

Loki-Tiki

Posted: 4 days ago; 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

...Flaming Onion Death Star:

ignite, sip, and throw.

LOL, might I suggest revising that to: Sip, ignite, and throw

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation