FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 )
What's your latest rum purchase?
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-26 5:25 pm   Permalink

Well, I'm drinking probably the first authentic Mai Tai of my life with Smith & Cross, Barbancourt, Cointreau, (and unfortunately Toroni orgeat, which may be negatively affecting the balance of my drink). That aside, it's fascinatingly different than any other Mai Tai I've ever had, including the ones I've made myself. It's almost like a tequila-based drink, I guess that's the Barbancourt? I'm going to try round 2 with Smith & Cross and something else, maybe Doorly's, though I kind of miss the darker rum or demerara flavors I associate with this drink (probably from making the Surf Room or Royal Hawaiian versions).

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-07 10:14 pm   Permalink

A good buddy brought me back a bottle of Koloa spiced from his honeymoon in Hawaii. Said it's the best rum he had out there. I see there's a 5 min of rum episode dedicated to it which I'll listen to tomorrow. Anyone else have any recipe suggestions? I hardly ever use spiced rum and this makes a fifth bottle in my collection.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CongoPete
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-04-07 11:00 pm   Permalink

Its my birthday in two weeks so i ordered myself something fun.

have only tried the Polynesian-inspired so far.. wow its almost like drinking whisky..

View Profile of CongoPete Send a personal message to CongoPete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2015-04-08 05:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-07 22:14, mikehooker wrote:
...a bottle of Koloa spiced...
...Anyone else have any recipe suggestions?...

I haven't been able to bring myself to buy their spiced yet, the Koloa line is available at my local Total Wine here in Florida. I don't often have spiced rums, but when I do, I try to make very simple rum-forward drinks to showcase the spices. You may try a Derby Daiquiri and see how that goes, and don't be afraid to boost the rum ratio a bit (1/2 oz or so to start) to bring it further forward in the drink.

One note on my experience buying Koloa -- it's MUCH cheaper for me to buy Koloa from Hi Times in Costa Mesa CA and have it shipped to Florida than it is to buy it locally from Total Whine. Total Whine charges $42/bottle and Hi Times is more like $29-$32 a bottle right now. Coincidentally I checked on Koloa yesterday and found that I can get six bottles shipped from Hi Times in California to Florida for $31 in shipping costs.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-11 09:59 am   Permalink

That Koloa spiced rum looks nice, wish I could try it.

Recently I was on a work trip to Mauritius, an island that takes it's rum and vanilla rum seriously, so the latest rums come from there.

Ti Rhum Vanille
I meant to drink it with Coke but it was so good I just let it keep me company while I worked. This is now one of my favorite rums and I regret I couldn't find a bottle to take home at the airport.

I brought back Gold of Mauritius, which is smoky like a Scotch but still a dark rum and St. Aubin 1819 vanilla rum, which is inferior to the Ti Rhum Vanille.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-21 4:23 pm   Permalink

I hit up Hi Times Wine after the Int'l Tiki Marketplace and acquired:

Coruba Dark
Hamilton Demerara
Hamilton Demerara Overproof

I'm excited to throw the Hamilton into a Jet Pilot and a 151 Swizzle, though I don't feel the need to rush into things. I've been fortunate to try the overproof at Tonga Hut and it knocked me out. It feels good to know there's an alternate to Lemon Hart.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiwattowner
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 24 days ago; 6:29 pm   Permalink

What's the name of that feeling when you open that box in your basement closet and realize that you had bought just a bit more than you had remembered?

View Profile of hiwattowner Send a personal message to hiwattowner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 24 days ago; 10:00 pm   Permalink

Hamilton procured in Texas.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 15 days ago; 9:25 pm   Permalink

Wow, poor lighting. Went on a little spree today. Highlights include Clement XO (no longer bing produced), Don Pancho origenes 18yr, Hamilton St. Lucia, Angostura 1919, smith and cross, Abuelo 7, Hamilton gold Jamaican, lost spirits Polynesian, and the rest are for mixing.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 10:04 pm   Permalink

Steve, any clue what a similar rum to Angostura 1919 is?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 13 days ago; 2:13 pm   Permalink

Angostura 1919 is fairly sweet and exceptionally smooth, with strong vanilla notes. I would compare it's simplicity to both el dorado 12 and diplomatico reserva, both of those having a lighter, sweeter profile. Angostura's 1824 definitely has more complexity, and is worth the extra few bucks.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 13 days ago; 6:28 pm   Permalink

A friend of mine just got back from a Caribbean cruise. He brought back 1 bottle of Havana Club 7 which I told him he MUST buy, and then four other bottles of CRAP he could have bought in the US for $3-4 more apiece. I was sooooo disappointed. I will blame his girlfriend - she wanted "fruity vodka" and they got it...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wichita Lime Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 10 days ago; 06:51 am   Permalink

Things may be looking up in flyover country. We visited a newly-opened store yesterday and I picked up a bottle of Rhum Barbancourt 8 and a bottle of Ferrand Dry Curacao, neither of which I had seen in other local stores previously.

View Profile of Wichita Lime Man Send a personal message to Wichita Lime Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 10:42 pm   Permalink

Some things I grabbed in Vancouver...

Talking to the locals, no one seems to be fond of the Lemon Hart. At all. Perhaps as reported on here, the Canadian versions are not the same as what we used to have in America. In fact, someone told me the Havana Club they have here is not even close to what they're serving in Cuba. And it's hella expensive in comparison. Bummer.

Was tempted by this but passed as my luggage is too heavy going back home as it is.....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation