FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Fall 2013 Mug Swap
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Fall 2013 Mug Swap
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 2:26 pm   Permalink

Lori,

Take a good look, one of those items yields an additional surprise.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-11-20 2:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 14:26, TikiTacky wrote:
Lori,

Take a good look, one of those items yields an additional surprise.

Wow, the matchbook does hold an awesome surprise! Thank you very much. So many excellent choices...

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 09:47 am   Permalink

TikiTacky, got my box and thank you for the great mug and HH chocolates! I always get some of these when I'm in Hawaii (but it's been almost 2 years since my last trip there.) Love the Mr. Bali Hai. One of those iconic mugs that is a welcome addition to my mug family.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 09:51 am   Permalink

Forgot to mention something that intrigued me about the Mr. Bali Hai in the picture from my post above. The left and right sides of the nose bone on the mug I received from TikiTacky protrude a bit further from the sides of the mug than in other versions I've seen. It's a small thing, but the extra definition of those delicate pieces really make the bone more pronounced. I dig it!
Quote:

On 2013-11-21 09:47, finky099 wrote:
TikiTacky, got my box and thank you for the great mug and HH chocolates! I always get some of these when I'm in Hawaii (but it's been almost 2 years since my last trip there.) Love the Mr. Bali Hai. One of those iconic mugs that is a welcome addition to my mug family.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-11-21 09:56 am   Permalink

Finky, one of the other items in your box contained an additional prize as well. Don't overlook it!

And glad you like the mug! I think it was one of Tiki Farm's better productions.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 10:10 am   Permalink

Chypes, how'd I miss all this great stuff, TT! So glad you said that. I saw these in the other package you sent and was trying to get a better look at that "Territory of Hawaii" map (I have a touch of cartophilia) - way cool! The Don's repro menu is fantastic and big thanks for the DtB matchbook, including the inside surprise.

Cheers and big mahalos!
Ryan

TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-11-21 10:17 am   Permalink

Glad I said something! Guess the bubble wrap was hiding it.

TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-11-21 12:13 pm   Permalink

Oh, and the map you referred to was from a great cartographer and illustrator by the name of Ruth Taylor White. She put out a series of maps of all the states in a very collectible and rare book called "Gay Geography." She also did maps of the individual Hawaiian islands showing many of the attractions of the day. I also have a high-res scanned version of the Maui map, if send me your email in a private message I'll send you a link to the file (it's 160 MB). It's out of copyright.

Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 3:28 pm   Permalink

Looks like some great boxes!
Holler Waller
TikiTacky
yours are on the way!
(So's mine!)

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 11:21 pm   Permalink

TikiTacky, that's great, thanks!
I've been trying to get some Covarrubias maps of the Pacific (at least, some for less than $200-$300), but so far no luck.
Quote:

On 2013-11-21 12:13, TikiTacky wrote:
Oh, and the map you referred to was from a great cartographer and illustrator by the name of Ruth Taylor White. She put out a series of maps of all the states in a very collectible and rare book called "Gay Geography." She also did maps of the individual Hawaiian islands showing many of the attractions of the day. I also have a high-res scanned version of the Maui map, if send me your email in a private message I'll send you a link to the file (it's 160 MB). It's out of copyright.

[ This Message was edited by: finky099 2013-11-21 23:22 ]

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-22 07:22 am   Permalink

Why am I so lucky? Wendy/Danlovestikis had my name and look at what she sent me:

Thanks Wendy!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-11-22 10:35 am   Permalink

That's awesome! Love the shipping crate.

What are the two glasses? I can see the tikis on the black one, but can't read the text on the other.

TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-11-22 12:41 pm   Permalink

Got my package today from Brenda's Tiki Hut. A veritable treasure trove of tiki!

First, a collection of coasters, swizzles, magnets, postcards, etc:

This is great! I've been trying to get a good collection of tiki swizzles together, and you not only got me started you pretty much finished me off. Don the Beachcomber, Smuggler's Cove, Trader Vic's, plus a variety of other marked and unmarked tikis. Also I get to try the Voodoo Rum, which isn't sold around here:

A fun Dynasty monkey mug, a classic Harvey's surfer mug, and some sort of coconut/feathered something that is hopefully not part of a voodoo curse:

A shirt with a great traditional pattern reminiscent of aloha shirts of yesteryear:

A very soft aloha shirt with hibiscus stars and fireworks, perfect for the fourth of July:

It was lot of fun going through it all to see what was in there. Great! Thanks, Brenda!

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-22 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-22 10:35, TikiTacky wrote:
That's awesome! Love the shipping crate.

What are the two glasses? I can see the tikis on the black one, but can't read the text on the other.

In addition to the "artist's proof sculpture" by Wendy that she sent me, are a "danlovestikis" custom rocks glass, (with the tiki images), and the hurricane is printed with "Harrah's Hawaiian Christmas, December 8 thru 18, 1988". All too cool!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-11-22 2:09 pm   Permalink

TikiTacky,

Cool stuff!
That is a miniature Hawaiian warrior helmet. Ikaika in Hawaiian. I thought the same thing when my Hawaiian in-laws gave me one for Christmas. After reading about them I bought a bigger one and happily made it part of my decor.

Here's a picture for reference. They're typically made from gourds, feathers and plant life.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation