FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Has anyone barrel aged their Rum, other spirits?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Has anyone barrel aged their Rum, other spirits?
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-17 7:24 pm   Permalink

I've barrel aged cocktails before in used casks, but I wouldn't really bother with trying it for rum mostly because there is more to the aging process than simply throwing it in a cask. Things like temperature, humidity, etc. come into play as well as you would then need to re-balance the proof since some of the water would evaporate.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
porco
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-19 09:15 am   Permalink

we were fortunate enough to get 2, 11L, new american white oak, lightly toasted barrels from our 10 cane rep (we buy a lot). spiced up 11L each of 10 cane and myers light in the bottles for a week or two, and just poured it off into the oak. will let you know the results come mid january.

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-19 2:35 pm   Permalink

Hi Porco,

That sounds (and looks) like a fun project. I will look forward to the results.

Question... Did you fill the barrels with warm water for a few days first to get the wood to expand? Seems like I've heard that it was necessary with a new barrel.

Cheers and aloha!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 06:53 am   Permalink

Just to chime in, yes, you're supposed to immerse barrel in water for a 24 hr period to "cure" it, as a 'real' barrel's staves are not glued but held in place by metal hoops

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-22 06:24 am   Permalink

Thanks KillDevil. I thought it had to be soaked and you confirmed it. I would love to try a small batch of aged cocktails at some point. Probably with a very small barrel so I don't ruin too much if it goes badly.

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-27 10:33 pm   Permalink

Great topic! I barrel age a lot of stuff -- cocktails, rum, you name it. But my finest achievement so far has to be my "solerish" aged J Wray. Freaking fantastic. I wrote up a pretty lengthy dissertation on it: http://inuakena.com/misc/solera-aging-rum-at-home/

Cheers

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-01-20 3:02 pm   Permalink

Hi all

"I have got my hands on a barrel & Im ready to go!"

That's what I should have said 2 weeks ago - Im a bit late to posting what I've been up to

I thought Id document the process for fellow TC'ers

So I got
a barrel:

I filled it with water & left it for 24 hours. Then I turned it over & left it another 24 hours. There was some leakage in the first 12 hours of each side but it stopped pretty quickly.

In preparation I picked up some supermarket 'better than average' sherry:

I chose that one mainly to try it out as alternative to Bristol Cream sherry as recommended in an article I saw about the Fog Cutter.

I emptied the water & re filled the barrel with the sherry (I kept a little for comparison). I sampled the water:

As you can see it gained a white wine colour but it tasted slightly smokey.

Its been 2 weeks now, going from the tips on the Master Of Malt website, it's good to be filled with the intended end product.

I think Im going to fill it with a spiced rum Im making - Im not a big spiced rum drinker so the choice is partly because I think I'll have a patience to let it age!

Also I picked up a home ageing kit:

The kit has 2 ageing sticks - Im thinking you can use them more than once but the effects will diminish (but you just leave the stick in for longer).

I figure the contents should be spirits & liquors (i.e. not fruit juices or sweetners) but would think blending the rums used in a particular cocktail would have an effect.

I'm not short on ideas but thought I'd open it up to debate, my ideas were either:
- a mai tai rum combo
- a navy grog rum combo
- a regular rum
- a whiskey old fashioned

I lean towards rum or whiskey over 'classic cocktails' with other spirits (like the Martinez or Negroni), any other suggestions?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-20 3:51 pm   Permalink

I have a 1 liter aging barrel that I have aged a few things in already. My first attempt was the Ballast Point white rum. It turned out better than their aged in my opinion. At about the 2 1/2 month point we noticed that we had drank it all as samples. I guess it went really well for the first attempt.

I also did 2 months on some Mezcal. Didn't make it amazing, but it was horrible when we put it in and aging made it tolerable.

Now I am aging some Moonshine into Whiskey. Added a little water to cut down the proof and it has been in there for a few weeks. I think I want to do a full 3 months on this one just to give it some character.

I don't know what I will do next, I might try for an aged cocktail. We will see. I still have a couple months to decide.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-20 4:16 pm   Permalink

I am testing the lengths of time to keep them in I know. I hear in a barrel this size it will age the equivalent of 1 year in 1 month, but there is no way to test that theory. I think I lost about 10-15% of the Mezcal in 2 months time to evaporation.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-01-25 11:30 am   Permalink

Encouraging words Luna - did ageing different spirits leave a taste in the barrel for the next batch?

I drained the sherry out of my barrel at the weekend (meaning it had had 15 days in there in total). It looked like this:

The one on the bottom was the aged sherry. It had a very very slight darker colouration & very very slight woody spice to it - not smokey like the water had been previously.

There had been some evaporation in the 15 days (about 1-2%)

I promptly filled the barrel with some spiced rum I have been making (
see this thread - I have kept a sample for comparison).

I have set it up in cold shed to see what happens in 3 months!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-25 12:43 pm   Permalink

Just getting started (finally) myself on this barrel aging thing. I have been putting it off way too long, partially out of skepticism.

I have three barrels now, a 2 liter and two 1 liters. One arrived a week before the other two, so the aging is staggered a bit. The barrel labeled "1" (after soaking in water for several days as per instructions) has been aging El Dorado 151 for nine days at this point.

I filled barrel no.2 with Wray & Nephew Overproof and barrel no. 3 with Beefeater gin two days ago.

I am reading different opinions on how long to age spirits in these small barrels. Some said to check it within 5 days and that 10 days may be a good maximum. others say start tasting in two weeks.

Anyway, I poured a taste of the 9 day aged El Dorado 151 and provide a photograph as follows. The glass on the left is plain old ED 151. My aged rum is on the right. There is a very noticeable change in color as you will see. There is also a striking change in flavor. It's mellowed out tremendously to a nice sipper with lots of tannins. I get wood and custard on the nose with oak, walnut and butter in the flavor. I am finding the results encouraging, and of course, different than I expected. I was hoping to come up with a good Mai Tai float ingredient. I might just try that test in five days. There's none of that smoke and dark brown sugar found in Lemon Hart. Maybe with more time I can get something darker?

Cheers!

Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-28 3:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-25 11:30, AdOrAdam wrote:
Encouraging words Luna - did ageing different spirits leave a taste in the barrel for the next batch?

No, I was not able to tell at all that there had ever been other spirits in the barrel. I did wash it out just with water quickly after emptying the contents. I was not worried about any flavors combining though, so I may taste it in this new batch of Whiskey, but I doubt it.

I want to age some ED 151 as well, so please keep me posted on how that goes Tabuzak. I think 10 days will not be enough and I think you should start tasting at 2 weeks.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation