FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Has anyone barrel aged their Rum, other spirits?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Has anyone barrel aged their Rum, other spirits?
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-17 7:24 pm   Permalink

I've barrel aged cocktails before in used casks, but I wouldn't really bother with trying it for rum mostly because there is more to the aging process than simply throwing it in a cask. Things like temperature, humidity, etc. come into play as well as you would then need to re-balance the proof since some of the water would evaporate.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
porco
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-19 09:15 am   Permalink

we were fortunate enough to get 2, 11L, new american white oak, lightly toasted barrels from our 10 cane rep (we buy a lot). spiced up 11L each of 10 cane and myers light in the bottles for a week or two, and just poured it off into the oak. will let you know the results come mid january.

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-19 2:35 pm   Permalink

Hi Porco,

That sounds (and looks) like a fun project. I will look forward to the results.

Question... Did you fill the barrels with warm water for a few days first to get the wood to expand? Seems like I've heard that it was necessary with a new barrel.

Cheers and aloha!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 06:53 am   Permalink

Just to chime in, yes, you're supposed to immerse barrel in water for a 24 hr period to "cure" it, as a 'real' barrel's staves are not glued but held in place by metal hoops

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-22 06:24 am   Permalink

Thanks KillDevil. I thought it had to be soaked and you confirmed it. I would love to try a small batch of aged cocktails at some point. Probably with a very small barrel so I don't ruin too much if it goes badly.

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-27 10:33 pm   Permalink

Great topic! I barrel age a lot of stuff -- cocktails, rum, you name it. But my finest achievement so far has to be my "solerish" aged J Wray. Freaking fantastic. I wrote up a pretty lengthy dissertation on it: http://inuakena.com/misc/solera-aging-rum-at-home/

Cheers

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation