FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Polynesian, Seymour, CT (restaurant)
The Polynesian, Seymour, CT (restaurant)
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 7:52 pm   Permalink

Name:The Polynesian
Type:restaurant
Street:Rte 34
City:Seymour
State:CT
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
From the back of a postcard :
Featuring the delightful "Tiki" Dining Room Exotic Polynesian and American Cuisine Prepared by the famous "Chef Reeves" Dining every eve. - Tues. Thru Sunday Dancing to Hawaiian and American Bands Indoor Swimming Pool - Heated year round Banquet facilities for 400 The "Matu" Cocktail Lounge Rte. 34 - Seymour, Conn.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 7:58 pm   Permalink

I bought this ashtray off Ebay and couldn't find anything listed on TC so I Googled and found this postcard

The ashtray is plastic and rather large. At first I thought someone just stuck the coaster onto it but it appears the design is printed onto the plastic.

DustyCajun I posted the ashtray photo on your Facebook a few days ago to see if you had any additional info.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 10:24 pm   Permalink

Whoa! So is this a mid-century location newly discovered on Tiki Central? That's so cool! And exciting! Congrats, SandraDee! Interesting how they actually use "Tiki" in the name. AND the postcard has a tiki on it!

Interested to see if any images of The Matu Cocktail Lounge surface anywhere.

Thanks for posting!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 09:09 am   Permalink

I wonder what prompts the banging of that big gong?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-11 09:17 am   Permalink

The arrival of the health inspector.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 10:14 am   Permalink

Maybe the gong is involved in their version of the mystery bowl ceremony.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 1:16 pm   Permalink

Tobunga I don't think I have ever contributed to the Locating Tiki thread before so I am stoked

There is this same postcard on Critiki but I only found that after I posted this entry.

The message on the card said the restaurant was in an old Russian hotel.

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-12 6:24 pm   Permalink

I'll be selling in Conn. 3 times, this month. Maybe I'll find Seymour & do a drive-by just to see what's there.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-14 09:24 am   Permalink

This is the only place near Seymour and on 34 I could find that was a hotel and it does have meeting space,

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-29 10:42 pm   Permalink

Liz,nice find on the ashtray, very unusual looking. I had seen that postcard years ago and have not come across another. This was likely a flash-in-the-pan Chinese Tiki joint.

Here is a matchbook from my image library.

The old phone number suggest a very early use of the "Tiki Room" theme.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-29 10:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks DC...took you long enough to contribute but I knew you had to have something in your stash

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-30 06:54 am   Permalink

Hmmm! Just spent the weekend doing a bit of a retro road trip, in CT. Not sure where Seymour is, but I like to drive by locations just for the heck of it. That Tiki has an interesting look. Wish I could see the whole thing.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation