FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » What does tiki mean to you?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
What does tiki mean to you?
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-23 10:47 am   Permalink

Welcome to Lucas Central!

(Ben I think this might be the last nudge needed ---- I'll collect my twenty dollars from you this weekend. If he lasts another week, I'll get that twenty to you next weekend.)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2013-10-23 10:48 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 11:09 am   Permalink

Lucas, 10.00 in it for you if you last another week!!!

p.s. I don't hate you

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-23 11:10 am   Permalink

Lucas. $10 for you if you quit this week. GROG not hate you either.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2013-10-23 11:12 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 11:31 am   Permalink

Maybe Tiki Central should have a "banish Lucas from the forums" fundraiser. $1 per hour that Lucas can't log in. Anyone can contribute via PayPal and make Lucas horribly conflicted as he both supports the website he loves and is unable to log into it.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 11:45 am   Permalink

Grog,

Get to work, stop baiting lucas.
Lucas get to work, yer eating tax payers money.
Me, get to work, sun light wasting.

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 12:41 pm   Permalink

I don't get it: It is now punishable if you write too many posts, as opposed to having nothing to say at all - and leaving the forum dead?

If I would have opted for the "this member is a whiner, and this guy an ignorant idiot, and..." way of thinking, I would have quit this forum years ago. It takes tolerance, patience, the ability to see things from other points of view, and most of all, dedication to the subject at hand BEYOND personal quarrels and egos to maneuver through the s#!%storms here. Kudos to anyone who still cares enough!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 1:19 pm   Permalink

Well said, Sven. I've been following this discussion and have been enjoying the back and forth between Lucas and Sven. I don't see any problem with either side. Opinions are what make this forum work.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns 2013-10-23 13:19 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 3:31 pm   Permalink

I CARE DAMMIT! now what's for lunch?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 6:40 pm   Permalink

Well said Sven!!

It too often seems that tolerance takes a back seat when confronted with differing viewpoints. If the internet has accomplished anything it's bringing this fact to light. It is truly disheartening to see such unnecessary animosity and drama. I've used this forum for years and have seen all matter of childish, abusive and pathetic behavior. I don't know too many folks on here personally, so I would never pretend to know someone well enough to define or label them. I also don't know what past issues and events might be fueling folks animosity. What I DO know though, is that differing opinions or viewpoints is about the worst reason to disparage someone.

I have also seen some great things on this site, and talked to some good folks. It just seems like a shame to allow pettiness to pollute the waters here at Tiki Central. We can all disagree about whatever, what difference does it make? Who cares? Homogenized thought does not enhance or increase knowledge, in fact it has quite the opposite effect. I'm much more interested in the motivation behind beliefs and opinions that I don't share. I don't want to convert anyone, but rather understand why they feel the way they do. In putting effort towards understanding others, we often find that we end up better equipped to understand ourselves as well as our relation to the world in general.

Sorry about the rant...

-Derick

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 7:24 pm   Permalink

Lost island, no need to apologize for stating how you feel. I sure as hell won't apologize for how I feel, either.

I like how you said that you are interested in the motivations of different view points. You know what? So am I? And if I meet some one who is adamant that they love Limburger cheese, for example, I want to know why. And just because they like it and I think they are kinda nuts, doesn't mean I hate them or ostracize them.

You mentioned past issues....well, I have never had a run in with anyone on this forum in person, except for one member so motivated by hatred that they would send me vile PMs.
So, there is really no past history in my case except that I have some strong opinions, and have posted about them, and people who don't agree either end up taking it personally and hating me for it, or they pack up their toys and leave in a huff. Either way, I don't get it.
Yes, Tiki is meant to be fun...but for some of us, it is also a semi-serious pursuit. Hell, some of us have written books about it! Others make some sort of income out of it. Others just love the genre, and want to see it stay the same for ever...even if they realize that really isn't possible.
Imagine a person that sells mugs, takes a bunch of orders from people here, collects their money, then never delivers the mugs and even worse, avoids their emails. Would that person be deserving of a PM like the one I got? You bet! I would say if they are an evil person, ripping others off...hell yes!
Now, what if all you are guilty of is saying things (sometimes even in just a joking way) that you don't like the Beatles, don't like hippy culture, or you are questioning why country western bands are performing at a large tiki event?
Because that is all that I have done wrong on this forum. And did it deserve the response I got? really? And does it mean that every post I make from then until now deserves to be ridiculed?

I will be at the international tiki marketplace next weekend. Fair warning. If you are in california and are planning on going, I would really like it if some of those people who hate me, or hate my posts stop by where my band is playing and say "hi".

Talk to me. See for your self if I am the devil I have been made out to be. I think you will walk away wondering what all the vitriol was really about. Because I am being judged only on stupid internet posts that really don't mean much. We are not building a rocket to mars, splitting the atom or working on a cure for cancer here. It's supposed to be a tiki discussion forum. That's all I am doing. And you know the irony of it all? Most of the people I "argue" with here, are actually people I respect a lot. Some of the bands I don't think are really tiki acts, are bands filled with VERY talented musicians that I respect. Some of the mugs that have "grinning idiots" on them instead of tikis that I don't really care for, I can at least appreciate the talent that went into making them.

You know, over at the Jimmy Buffett world forum and over at the Grateful Dead forever forum, the conversations are VERY, VERY boring! Everyone agrees with everyone! There is no dissent, no new conversations....you post over there, you are seriously preaching to the choir....

People that are bothered that I post too much.....well, look at my post count and when I joined. Most of those complaining have FAR more posts. And you know what? That doesn't bother me one bit!I welcome the posts! We all should. More traffic, more conversations....or else what's going to happen to this forum....10 people all standing around agreeing with each other and laughing snarkingly about that awful Lucas Vigor?

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-10-23 19:33 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 8:17 pm   Permalink

Pay up GROG!!!

Lucas is staying!!!

Lucas, I'll buy you a drink this weekend at the International Tiki MarketPlace!

Aloha!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 8:40 pm   Permalink

this site should close for maintenance for a week and require all users to participate on sports forum message boards so they can see what REAL internet vitriol and insults are like...

also, "tiki" to most people I know means a thatched roof open sided beach bar, that serves frozen daiquiris and plays reggae, steel drum, kenny chesney, or jimmy buffet music. (i.e., "hey, look at that tiki hut over there, let's get some banana banshees and then walk down to the arcade...").

-p.s., in real life, volcanoes suck.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 8:55 pm   Permalink

Ba ha ha ha ha @Ben

No doubt though, it's certainly far more mild on here than many forums I've been on. I don't think I've ever really seen anybody busting into a profanity and threat laden tirade on here. It's pretty common on some sites. It's the power of Aloha man (in bad Tommy Chong voice)...

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 8:58 pm   Permalink

Or any political site, Porpoise, ugly,ugly people on those sites
I really don't understand why some folks here get so bent out of shape over the little stuff
but also to be fair it was more so a few years ago, not as bad today.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 8:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-23 20:55, LostIsland wrote:
Ba ha ha ha ha @Ben

No doubt though, it's certainly far more mild on here than many forums I've been on. I don't think I've ever really seen anybody busting into a profanity and threat laden tirade on here. It's pretty common on some sites. It's the power of Aloha man (in bad Tommy Chong voice)...

Lucas & I have......

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation