FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki What does tiki mean to you?

You are viewing a single post from the search result.
view the entire topic
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
What does tiki mean to you?
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 2:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-20 10:34, VampiressRN wrote:
JMHO... Tiki is the carvings.

Tiki genre is the mixed bag...the culmination of cravings, art, exotica, cocktails, bars, decor, publications and mostly the Ohana spirit.

Good way of looking at it

Mr thePorpoise is that a selfie?!

Quote:

On 2013-10-20 08:06, Masher88 wrote:
One thing I've always wondered is why Tequila is not considered tiki, but rum and gin are...

Im thinking tequila wasn't on the 'world stage' til later ~ I rightly of wrongly think of it as 70s / 80s, although Margaritas are a 30s / 40s drink (& Donn made the El Diablo cocktail in the late 40s).

Generally regarding the choice of spirits in tiki drinks, my understanding of the shortened timeline is:

- Turn of the century no-one wanted rum (so the distillers aged it).
- To give context whiskey & gin were popular. If you google '1920s' cocktails they are nearly all gin or whiskey.
- Don Beachcomber discovered rum & learnt how to tweak traditional Caribbean cocktails. He brought up the cheap rum & made good drinks.
- Trader Vics took on the tiki idea & ran with the rum recipes. 1950s onwards he added different based spirits (gin, brandy, bourbon etc).

I can understand why gin is part of tiki - it has a colonial history so was most likely everywhere. Drinks like the Singapore Sling are 'tropical' & arguably are kin to 'caribbean' drinks. Whiskey shouldnt be a tiki ingredient IMO - it just tastes a bit wrong, I like Whiskey Sours but I prefer Old Fashioned & Sazeracs. Brandy mixes better but is in relatively few cocktails. Tis mostly about the rum for me!

I read 'somewhere' that whiskey & beer were very popular in the original tiki bars. I wish I could I remember where that 'somewhere' was! Can anyone confirm / deny this?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation