[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki eBay: Tiki Bowl
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
eBay: Tiki Bowl
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-12 3:30 pm   Permalink

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3231423785&category=35801&rd=1

I am not the seller or bidder(s).

Are there many of these, or is it a more "rare" item? Thanks.

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-12 5:46 pm   Permalink

Jeezis, the prices these days...one day I'll get my vengeance, I'll make a buttload of money and outbid everyone! Aaahahahahhahaaaaah!!! I'll show them all!

(Mrs. emspace enters computer room, carefully administers sedative, covers emspace with blanket, leaves quietly).

, emspace.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-13 11:13 am   Permalink

P.S. that doean't answer your question, does it Suzy? Yep, it's rare, I think anything from the Luau is regarded as rare. It helps too that it's a damn good-looking piece...$228 eh? That's $314 Canadian. That's not too horrible I guess, just my monthly strata fees, cable, power, and phone bills...

, em

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-13 11:18 am   Permalink

I just gotta say: it was an interesting battle there between meowprincess and yoho-yoho...until Beachbombjim bid up two and a half bucks 6 SECONDS before closing. This is exactly the way I have lost the majority of my auctions.

Anyone feel like weighing in on the topic of people who bid up just enough to win, within seconds of closing? Cuz I'd like to slowly strangle them...

. em

suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-13 11:27 am   Permalink

I am not sure how it works, but his high bid may have been much higher than what you see. There is a bidder who lives here who gets what he bids on 99% of the time, and even though a certain figure shows up, his "high" bid is way, way over the final price.

jimbomb probably "sniped" the item.

Thanks for the reply!

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-13 11:35 am   Permalink

Tell me about "sniped" - definitely these people who watch the last few seconds of an auction have the sniper mentality IMHO...

em.

suffering bastard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-13 4:19 pm   Permalink

Mike, "Sniping" is the practice of waiting until the last seconds of an auction to place your bid, usually a high one. The idea is that when the time runs out, it is too late for anyone else to outbid you. I personally don't have a problem with it (unless someone is using that "sniper software program" and not actually watching the auction and doing the "work" of sniping themselves---just my opinion). My reasoning is, if someone who was shut out of the bidding was willing to bid higher, they should have bid high upfront in the first place. I can see where this is frustrating for the seller, though, but e-bay is heavily weighted to the seller's advantage anyway, and sniping is one of the few advantages a buyer has in the game. I will snipe from time to time, although if I know another TC'er is bidding, I'll often do it with a few minutes left in the auction rather than just a few seconds----that way if they really want the item and are being vigilant, they still have a chance. I know alot of you hate sniping----just my two cents.

[ This Message was edited by: suffering bastard on 2003-07-13 16:21 ]

View Profile of suffering bastard Send a personal message to suffering bastard  Email suffering bastard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-13 4:56 pm   Permalink

Thanx sb - I know all is fair in love and eBay, but "sniper software"? God, what a world the Net is becoming...blech!

, em

suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-13 5:03 pm   Permalink

You don't have to download the software anymore. It's VERY easy. And, the first 3 are free. After that, it's only like 1% or something.

suffering bastard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-13 8:49 pm   Permalink

I was watching this one to see if Duosonic would snipe it. I know he (?she?) snipes from time to time, and is a collector of the Steve Crane stuff, judging by past auctions. I sometimes try to guess what other tiki collectors are looking for on e-Bay. No last minute Duosonic bids, though....maybe he already has the Luau bowl.

View Profile of suffering bastard Send a personal message to suffering bastard  Email suffering bastard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 1:23 pm   Permalink

Sniping is "officially un-cool". That said, I've done it occasionally for something I just HAD to have. Sniping software sounds evil at first, but I've sometimes wished I'd used it for auctions that ended at 2am or when I just couldn't be near my computer at the close. Its primary function seems to be to snipe, but it would also work as a proxy bidder, right?

But I like to watch the bids rise so I can constantly re-evaluate my desire for the object and how much I can afford. I suppose snipe-ware works for power-re-sellers and the like, but I'll hold off for now.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 1:28 pm   Permalink

I sniped twice in my life - once for a record I once had as a kid and desperately wanted again. I was willing to pay 300 bucks (thats the amount I entered) but because no one else bid I only had to pay 9.95. The other things were some chairs to match my diningroom set. I sniped, but someone else out-bid me anyway. SO sniping isn't necesarily just a high rollers game, nor is it always successful.

I tend to not use it though unless I am desperate for something, as is seems slightly unsportsmanlike. I've bought many things, but only sniped twice, as I said. So I guess I feel sort of ambivalent about it.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 2:20 pm   Permalink

Gentle reader,

If I don't care enough about an item to snipe it, it's not something I would care to own. Sniping is a noble art that doesn't deserve the harsh rap its been given. It takes patience not to bid on a treasure that you desperately want as soon as you find it. It takes dedication to clear your calendar for the exact time the auction will close. Knowing that you will have only one opportunity to place a snipe it takes self-awareness to determine exactly how much you are willing to pay without reference to other bids. It takes nerve to wait to the final three or four seconds to place that single bid.

If you've never snipped in the last three or four seconds of an auction you've missed out on the adrenalin rush of wondering whether (1) you got your snipe in on time (I've had a couple 1 second snipes), and (2) whether your highest bid was high enough to get you the widget you'd been coveting for the past week. That final refresh when I learn if the auction went my way always gets my heart pumping even if it's only a $5 widget.

For some sniping isn't just a lifestyle choice, it's a calling.

signed,
Officially Uncool in Virginia.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 2:50 pm   Permalink

ON the down side of sniping. Anyone see the complete Witco Bar set w/ 2 stools, sconces and picture. I deleted out of my ebay as I was waiting till the last day when the seller got itchey and sold it for the current high price 2 days too early. $125

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2003-07-14 14:55 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 3:21 pm   Permalink

But someone asking a seller to end an auction early is not what we mean by sniping. Asking to end an auction early is a plain old dirty trick, often discussed in these parts. I don't know what you would call it, but it's not defined as sniping.

Snarping? Snoping? Snapping?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation