FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Do These Have Any Value?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Do These Have Any Value?
Tiki Kookie

Posted: 2013-10-22 05:28 am   Permalink

Hi! New member here that would appreciate an expert evaluation of my recent acquisitions. I want to be clear that, for now, none of these are for sale. Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be willing to offer.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Kookie 2013-10-22 06:31 ]

View Profile of Tiki Kookie Send a personal message to Tiki Kookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 05:35 am   Permalink

These all look to be new (reproductions) from China that are mass produced currently
can you tell us what labels or writing is on the bottom of the mugs?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kookie

Posted: 2013-10-22 05:48 am   Permalink

It was difficult to capture images of the bottoms. I'm using my iPhone in less than perfect conditions. All the cups are marked on the bottom with O of H nomenclature that matches what's on the carton label. Below are a couple images from the bottoms of one each of the Tikis and the Volcano Bowl. I acquired these at a yard sale from a very elderly Asian couple who owned a Polynesian restaurant in D.C. that, they said, closed in the 70's. The cartons also look pretty old which makes me doubt they're recent reproductions.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Kookie 2013-10-22 06:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Kookie 2013-10-22 06:33 ]

View Profile of Tiki Kookie Send a personal message to Tiki Kookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 06:30 am   Permalink

Okay, they are '70's vintage, but very common. They would not be featured prominently in anyone's collection, but they're great for daily use. I routinely pay 5 bucks for the mugs, but NIB you should probably be able to get $10. The Scorpion Bowls, I would say between $20-$30.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kookie

Posted: 2013-10-22 06:38 am   Permalink

I don't think I have a Scorpian Bowl, I thought what I had was called a Volcano Bowl. Is that accurate or is what I have a Scorpian Bowl? Thanks for your help.

tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 09:12 am   Permalink

Yes, that's a volcano bowl, due to the volcano. We tend to use the term Scorpion Bowl loosely in these parts.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-22 12:08 pm   Permalink

Yes they are all very common. Here is a link to the Fu Manchu mug with another mug for $8 BIN.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-ceramic-tiki-mugs-Fu-Manchu-and-Harveys-Lake-Tahoe-/111189754188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e36d014c

I had purchased 2 of those volcano bowls along with 20 other tiki mugs for $40 off of Craigslist.

I would guess if you can get $5 for the mugs and $30 for the volcano bowl, you would be lucky. It is pretty easy to check ebay for actual mug prices since mugs are readily available always on ebay. Type in "tiki mug" and scroll through and you will find examples of these mugs. You can also go to "advanced search" and search the completed items to see if they are actually selling for these prices, or people are just pricing them too high to find a sucker. There are examples of people trying to sell the volcano bowl for $800, but (hopefully) no one is stupid enough to do that. You can still get these new for really cheap.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 2:42 pm   Permalink

Sigh! You spelled Scorpion wrong!
Quote:

On 2013-10-22 06:38, Tiki Kookie wrote:
I don't think I have a Scorpian Bowl, I thought what I had was called a Volcano Bowl. Is that accurate or is what I have a Scorpian Bowl? Thanks for your help.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 2:44 pm   Permalink

Id try to find out the name of that restaurant and maybe keep everything, common or not.
Nice finds!

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-10-22 15:41 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 2:56 pm   Permalink

But you can serve a "Scorpion" in a "Volcano Bowl" & still call it a Scorpion Bowl
since that is technically the drink you are serving & not the name of the bowl.

The brown mug is a Leilani mug, the number one most common tiki mug but original
The Hula-girl mug has her breast covered & that was only done with the reproduction
as far as I know.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-10-22 14:59 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 2:59 pm   Permalink

Ummm, ATP, sir? That's a Ku!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 3:10 pm   Permalink

Well let me just put on my glasses then.......Oh my god most of you are men!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 3:16 pm   Permalink

and you need to put your pants on!

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 3:49 pm   Permalink

21 days, ATP, but who's counting?!

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 3:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2013-10-22 14:56, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:[/i
The brown mug is a Leilani mug, the number one most common tiki mug but original
[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-10-22 14:59 ]

Lance, Common or not, I didnt get my mitts on a leilani mug till years after I started collecting.I have 5 now-each one slightly different.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation