FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean, released Dec. 2013
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean, released Dec. 2013
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-04 04:06 am   Permalink

A nice article:

http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/2013/12/jeff_beachbum_berry_tackles_50.html

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-04 08:16 am   Permalink

Truly exciting to read that Jeff is finally going to open his own Tiki Bar!

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-04 08:32 am   Permalink

I'm calling for a group road-trip to New Orleans in 2014. Maybe Jeff's bar will be open in time for Mardi Gras? That's always a helluva good time to be in New Orleans!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-07 12:26 am   Permalink

I've heard that a lease could be signed by the end of the year, which could get things moving quickly.

Check out the latest info, plus a comprehensive preview of the book on The Atomic Grog:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/12/07/beachbum-berrys-potions-of-the-caribbean-cruises-back-to-the-birthplace-of-tiki-cocktails/

I cover the new bar, plus lots of other topics including photos and recipes from all of the Bum's symposiums on Caribbean cocktails over the past five years.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-07 08:34 am   Permalink

Jim, when is YOUR book about the Tiki Cocktail revival coming out !? You are writing it, as one can see!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-11 09:02 am   Permalink

Is it just me, or does $40 seem like a lot for this book?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-11 10:28 am   Permalink

Compared to Jeff's other books yes this seems high, but it's git a significantly higher page count than the earlier books. Wish we didn 't have to pay a hardcover price, but I assume I will get years of enjoyment from this book like I have the others, so I guess it's ok.

The book is actually the only thing I put on my Christmas list. My wife gets really mad when I buy something for myself right before Christmas so I am now waiting impatiently before I get my copy.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-11 10:57 am   Permalink

On my list too. Waiting patiently...

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-11 11:28 am   Permalink

With regard to the price of the book, we may be helping Jeff crack the nut required to open his new bar in New Orleans. Looking at it that way, it's kinda cool to be able to indirectly help him achieve one of his dreams. It may be a while before we see the price come down. I'm sure the content is stellar and I look forward to owning a copy someday. Must add it to my wish list, I'm in the same boat in that I tend to buy cool stuff for myself at Christmas and deprive friends and family of the opportunity.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 05:42 am   Permalink

C'mon Santa!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 06:24 am   Permalink

I bet it's worth every dime, as are all his books! He's doing the Lord's work.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-12 06:33 am   Permalink

Amen to that!

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 07:24 am   Permalink

The costs of producing a book like this -- which is so lavishly illustrated -- are high. Add to that the years he spent working on it... The man deserves to be paid for his time! I'm happy to spend $40 on his book. Hell, you'd spend that much on a bottle of rum -- and this will last a lot longer!

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 09:31 am   Permalink

Potions is being published by Cocktail Kingdom, who does lavish re editions of early cocktail guides. The printing quality and binding alone will make this worth it, not counting the fact that the Bum has been putting a huge amount of time into this book for the last 2 1/2 or so years.
This release will match in quality the depth of work thats inside.
Cant wait to get a copy!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
koopkooper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-14 2:32 pm   Permalink

Hey guys, I did an interview with Jeff this week about his book...you might dig it

Cocktail Nation 294 Potions of The Caribbean with Jeff Beachbum Berry

Jeff Beachbum Berry has got a brand new book out that will blow your mind about the history of tiki drinks. For those in Los Angeles I have a very cool hang out for you plus a very groovy newsletter to sign up for which I can guarantee you won't regret when it drops into your inbox each week.

www.cocktailnation.podbean.com

[ This Message was edited by: koopkooper 2013-12-14 14:33 ]

View Profile of koopkooper Send a personal message to koopkooper  Email koopkooper Goto the website of koopkooper     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation