FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean, released Dec. 2013
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean, released Dec. 2013
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-08 9:15 pm   Permalink

FYI, Cocktail Kingdom now says it ships Jan. 20 ...

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/Potions-of-the-Caribbean-p/bok_berryjeff_0000_01e.htm

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 09:24 am   Permalink

I figured Amazon would have the release this week - is this a cocktail kingdom only book - does anyone know?

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-22 07:50 am   Permalink

Yeah, I too hope it will be available on Amazon as I won't be paying the $43 shipping cost offered by Cocktail Kingdom...

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 05:54 am   Permalink

Cocktail Kingdom Uk stock it also.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 08:47 am   Permalink

I know, but unfortunately they only ship within the UK and ask everyone else to order from the US website.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ebb Tide
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-26 07:20 am   Permalink

Really enjoying Potions of the Caribbean....mixed up Myrtle Bank Punch which was great. Any sign of the Witch Doctor in book? Thought it was supposed to be there but so far cannot find it.....

View Profile of Ebb Tide Send a personal message to Ebb Tide  Email Ebb Tide     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-26 10:40 pm   Permalink

I was curious as to the absence of the Witch Doctor as well. It was presented and served at the Bum's Potions of the Caribbean symposium so I expected it to be one of Jasper LeFranc's featured drinks for sure.

No matter, here's the recipe as related at the talk:

Jasper LeFranc's Witch Doctor
1.5 oz jaspers mix
1.5 oz gold rum
0.5 oz cherry Heering or cherry brandy
0.5 oz triple sec
Mix with cubed ice
Garnish with pineapple and cherry

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ebb Tide
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-27 3:58 pm   Permalink

Much appreciated, fixing up Jasper's Mix as I write this.....multi tasking...

View Profile of Ebb Tide Send a personal message to Ebb Tide  Email Ebb Tide     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wichita Lime Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-28 06:47 am   Permalink

I, too, was a bit surprised by the omission of the Witch Doctor. It was our favorite of the three samples served at the Hukilau symposium last year.

I traded a few emails about it with Hurricane Hayward and the recipe he provided (thanks again Jim!) calls for just 1 ounce of Jasper's Mix. You can read all about it
on his website.

We went through a LOT of Jasper's Mix this past year.

Back on topic, the book was the only item on my Christmas list this year and Santa came through. I've read it through, now it's time to re-read it with shaker in hand.

View Profile of Wichita Lime Man Send a personal message to Wichita Lime Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 11:12 am   Permalink

Yeah, the 1 oz versus 1.5 oz of Jaspers mix comes down to how sweet you make the mix. Jeff and Steve Remaberg bith conceeded that they make their mix on the very sweet side, so to strike thebtight balance they dial back the amount used. I still make my mix according the the version Ted Haigh published in Forgotten Cocktails and that is a bit less sweet so the 1.5 oz still works well for Witch doctors at home.

Most of the Jaspers mix in my house goes into:

1:1 J Wray Overproof and Jasper's cocktails (can't remember if that one is called the Jasper's Jamaican or the Caribbean Cocktail).

Podgy and Jasper (my own drink that has a very similar flavor profile to the Witch Doctor but I think is even better. 1 oz each of light rum, Coruba, Jasper's mix and honey mix, plus a couple hard dashes of pimento dram, shaken withh ice and served unstrained in a Mai Tai glass. Try this one the next time you have a bottle of Jasper's mix and let me know what you think.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-30 6:05 pm   Permalink

What is Jasper mix?

I finally broke down and just ordered it from Cocktail Kingdom...along with a few other things...to save on shipping of course

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-30 10:40 pm   Permalink

Jasper's Mix is a miraculous combination of fresh lime juice, sugar, nutmeg, and Angostura bitters that absolutely sings in the right rum cocktail. Pairs wonderfully well with Coruba and J Wray overproof.

Detailed instructions under the name "Jasper's Basic Stock" will be found on page 265 when your copy of Potions of the Caribbean arrive. Slightly different versions have been previously published, most notably in Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails.

Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-03 1:23 pm   Permalink

Something I noticed while Reading through "Potions" he makes reference to there being no good "Passion Fruit Syrup" on the market today. Which I felt odd since Blair Reynolds makes a damn fine syrup, and at least used to have several of his products approved by the Bum himself. Yet no mention of those syrups in the book at all. While I can understand that Jeff maybe doesn't want to go out making endorsements in the book. Does anyone know if something happen between Blair and Jeff that caused such an omission? Just curious.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-08 10:29 pm   Permalink

Looks like "Potions" is popping up on Amazon. It's been awhile since I checked, so I don't know when this happened. This may or may not help those overseas, but it appears you can order from Cocktail Kingdom via Amazon. Plus, there's now a way to order direct from Amazon (free shipping for Amazon Prime customers), though it comes with the disclaimer "Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1603113800/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&sr=1-1&qid=1391926274

And to sum up my opinion of Jasper's Mix in one word: Addictive.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 12:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the heads up! I had actually given up on it being available direct from Amazon but now just placed my order with a shipping cost of only $7.98 to Sweden!

www.thesurfites.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation