FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean to be released Dec. 5th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean to be released Dec. 5th
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 6:59 pm   Permalink

I ordered one on the 4th and the "Package has left the carrier facility" in New Jersey.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-10 10:36 am   Permalink

Amazon now says "Usually ships within 1 - 3 weeks."

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 6:43 pm   Permalink

Arrived today. 9 days!

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-14 10:38 am   Permalink

Perhaps in response to Amazon, it looks like Cocktail Kingdom has reduced the price by $12 to $27.95 ... and it's in stock:
http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/Potions-of-the-Caribbean-p/bok_berryjeff_0000_01e.htm

Also, not sure these links have been shared for the UK and Australian sites:
http://www.cocktailkingdom.co.uk/Potions-of-the-Caribbean-p/bok_berryjeff_0000_01e.htm
http://www.cocktailkingdomaustralia.com/Potions-of-the-Caribbean-p/bok_berryjeff_0000_01e.htm

At last count, I have 23 new cocktails down, many more to go. The latest to be documented:

Pupule, by Don the Beachcomber, circa 1937 ...

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 01:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-14 10:38, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
At last count, I have 23 new cocktails down, many more to go.

Are you rating the drinks somewhere? I don't seem them on your blog, and I haven't seen them in the Grogalzier yet.

What would you say are some of your favorites so far?

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 02:15 am   Permalink

My Amazon.com order shipped yesterday. Then they lowered the price of the book to $26.98...

www.thesurfites.com

[ This Message was edited by: Klas 2014-02-20 12:16 ]

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-20 09:51 am   Permalink

TikiSan,

I'm sure I'll share my ratings at some point, most likely in a book review. I'm not sure the drinks will be coming to the Grogalizer or not. I'll have to check with Swanky. Or maybe he can chime in here. Like the appendixes of Remixed, many of the drinks in Potions don't fit into the Grogalier's classic Tiki drink format. But there are still a good percentage that do.

The difficult thing with the drinks in "Potions" is that more than any other of the Bum's books, these are cocktails that are meant to embellish the stories. With Sippin' Safari, you can still enjoy most of the drinks separately and not lose anything. But with the exception of some of the Don Beach and Trader Vic drinks that we all love anyway, taking a lot of the "Potions" drinks out of the context of the book doesn't do them justice. So I'm trying to my best to sample them as I read a particular chapter.

All that being said, my favorites so far that can stand alone (and that haven't already appeared in previous books):
Daiquiri (improved), p. 83
Hitler's Jitters, p. 116
La Florida Daiquiri No. 1, p. 137
Night Cap, p. 155
(I'd give them all a 7 out of 10)

There are quite a few classics in Chapter 5 that I plan to address with separate reviews TBA. I'm sure these will float up to the top of the heap.

TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-21 11:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-20 09:51, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
All that being said, my favorites so far that can stand alone (and that haven't already appeared in previous books):
Daiquiri (improved), p. 83
Hitler's Jitters, p. 116
La Florida Daiquiri No. 1, p. 137
Night Cap, p. 155
(I'd give them all a 7 out of 10)

There are quite a few classics in Chapter 5 that I plan to address with separate reviews TBA. I'm sure these will float up to the top of the heap.

Thanks for the response Hurricane Hayward, I appreciate it. That is a good point about the drinks needing the context of the story to get the most out of them.
I'd still like to see all the drinks in the Grogalizer. I have 54 drink ratings, under a different username, to your 272.
I really get a lot out of your Grogalizer comments, as we have very similar tastes in tropical drinks. You do a great job on the Atomic Grog blog, too.

How easy is it to find white grapefruit in the supermarkets in Florida? Pink grapefruit makes up 99.99% of the market here in Southern California.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-21 12:04 pm   Permalink

When you say you need the story to fully appreciate the drink, is the implication that the drinks aren't all that great by themselves?
T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-21 1:35 pm   Permalink

Ordered mine today, free 2 day shipping on Amazon Prime

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-22 12:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-21 12:04, TikiTacky wrote:
When you say you need the story to fully appreciate the drink, is the implication that the drinks aren't all that great by themselves?

That's a very good question. I'm still absorbing the book, as well as the drinks, so I'll pass the buck and say you'll have to read my upcoming review for a complete analysis.

But just off the cuff, I'll admit that I'm still steadfast in my love for Sippin' Safari. I don't think you can touch that book for its combination of story and drinks. But Potions definitely has a much broader and entertaining story. Is every drink a winner? Probably not, but I don't think that's the point of the book. If you're looking for pure bang-for-your-buck classic Tiki cocktail recipes, you definitely want Remixed. But if you're looking for the story behind the drinks, you can get a pure Tiki fix with Sippin' Safari, or a comprehensive historical analysis with Potions. The Bum covers all the bases.

As I write, I'm sippin' on Ray Buhen's Virgin Island Kula, which I will definitely add to the list of top drinks (it rates a 7). And I just realized that I left two other favorites off the list above:
Planter's Punch (improved), p. 74 (rating: 8 )
Myrtle Bank Punch (Donn's version), p. 181 (rating: 7)

TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-03-15 12:48 pm   Permalink

Finally got around to ordering my copy and should have it shortly (yay for Amazon Prime!). I'll admit that I usually enjoy reading about the drinks than making them, but I'm still excited. Jeff is a great storyteller, and I'm sure to get lost in the history if it all.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-03-21 10:37 pm   Permalink

I thought I'd pass along that Mr. Bum informed me that his favorite recipes from this new book were the Improved Planters, Voodoo Grog and Colonial Grog, although he noted that you might want to double that last one.

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 21 days ago; 12:37 am   Permalink

TikiTacky,

I hope you're enjoying the book. I've been meaning to recommend a few more favorites, and coincidentally they include the same ones that Jeff likes:

Colonial Grog (rating: 7 out of 10) - A stellar small sipper, spicy and sweet with bold flavors.

It turns out that this Don the Beachcomber classic is the drink that inspired Mariano Licudine to create The Mai-Kai's Samoan Grog, which is very similar in style and taste. It even once featured the same ice shell. Check out my full review of both drinks, plus my tribute recipe:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/03/22/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-delicious-samoan-grog-wasnt-born-to-be-mild/

On my list, the Voodoo Grog ranks right up there with the Planter's Punch (rating: 8 out of 10). Spicy and creamy with lots of nuances of flavor. The sweet offsets the strong nicely.

The Tiki Bowl (rating: 7) is a classic Trader Vic's drink with familiar flavors (rum, OJ, lemon, orgeat), similar to the Scorpion but with cognac instead of brandy.

And the Tropical Itch by Joe Scialom (rating: 7) is rich and decadent with quite a punch from 5 ounces of alcohol. To me, it's superior to the Tropical Itch recipe by Harry Yee that was in Remixed and Intoxica, though the true inventor of the backscratcher-garnished concoction will probably remain a mystery.

Still many more to go, including two more Mai-Kai ancestor recipes, so I'll report back soon.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 21 days ago; 12:25 pm   Permalink

Received my copy VIA Amazon. Much like Sippin Safari, the back stories are sometimes more interesting than the drink recipes themselves. All in all an excellent read and great recipes to add to my collection.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation