FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Secret Squirrel Tiki Carving
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Secret Squirrel Tiki Carving
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 12:14 pm   Permalink

looks killer bro,,,

just my 2 cents, but you know...

you've come this far with it,... some kinda headdress would really set it off... even if it's just a bunch more lines that kinda parallel the brow line...

just a thought.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-03 1:48 pm   Permalink

You have a good point. Thanks for the encouragement. Now you've got me thinking. I have a few ideas that I think would work. Let me think about it and see if I can design something that will work. I hope my carving skills are up to it if I decide to carve a headdress. Maybe I'll add something to the bottom to.

View Profile of Secret Squirrel Send a personal message to Secret Squirrel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 3:23 pm   Permalink

Looks Great, Excellent finish. The purple color will fade to brown with uv light exposure so if you use a UV Protecting finish it should prolong the purple color.
How did you like carving that soft wood?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-03 3:57 pm   Permalink

Thank you. The area where I keep my tiki collection doesn't get any sunlight. It's actually pretty dark most of the time. I'm hoping this keeps the purple heart from turning brown over time. This wood is very hard. In this particular piece it did have a few softer spots but they weren't anything to look forward to because they where grainy and prone to tearing when carving across the grain. I had to be very careful. This wood is definetly a challenge to carve. I don't think I'll be carving another tiki from purple heart. I'm glad I carved this one because it's very unique and it will look nice in my tiki collection.

View Profile of Secret Squirrel Send a personal message to Secret Squirrel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-04 9:26 pm   Permalink

I made a little progress today. I added some detail carving to the bottom of the tiki. I'm still trying to figure out a design that will look good on the headdress.

amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-05 04:36 am   Permalink

That headress could definately use some dressing up. Something similar to what you have on the base would work and you already have some experience carving that design. When I fisrt started making these things, I was always afraid I'd ruin it if I tried going too far so just take your time.
When I get stuck, I just stand it up on the shelf where I see it everyday and start a new one. Eventually, the correct design will make itself known to you. Your mallets are better than my carvings! Keep going.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-09 11:56 am   Permalink

I added some detail carving and a headdress. I'm pretty happy with the results and I've learned a lot. For the headdress I wanted something subtle and something that would flow with the rest of the lines.

[ This Message was edited by: Secret Squirrel 2013-11-09 11:58 ]

Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-09 2:13 pm   Permalink

That headdress really set that Tiki off.
Good job.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-09 3:43 pm   Permalink

Agreed, looks great SS

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-09 7:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys. I'll post more pictures after I apply the finish.

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 01:05 am   Permalink

hell yeah man...

THAT's what I'm talkin' about!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 09:57 am   Permalink

that head-dress looks great!

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-10 10:16 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. This piece of purple heart has some really nice grain that runs all the way from the bottom through the headdress. Some of it also looks like marble or granite. It will be more visible and pop out when I apply the finish. I'm going to wait a few more days to allow the most recent carvings to turn purple.

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 11:43 am   Permalink

I can't even imagine what that stuff looks like sanded & poly'ed...

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 3:47 pm   Permalink

I am LOVING your purple tiki carving!!!!!!

Is he for sale?

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation