FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Secret Squirrel Tiki Carving
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Secret Squirrel Tiki Carving
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-10 7:26 pm   Permalink

The pepper mill blanks I've been using came from Rockler and Woodcraft wood stores. I've also ordered some wood on the internet. I think you should give tiki carving a try. Wood carving as an art is somewhat a dwindling art form. Tiki carvers are even more rare. The more people learning how to carve the better.

[ This Message was edited by: Secret Squirrel 2013-12-11 07:46 ]

View Profile of Secret Squirrel Send a personal message to Secret Squirrel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-11 05:41 am   Permalink

SS your pieces are great! Can't wait to see more. What an amazing start!

View Profile of Trader Gino Send a personal message to Trader Gino  Goto the website of Trader Gino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-11 07:45 am   Permalink

Thanks Trader Gino. I'll start carving the mouth in a few days. First I need to take some time to draw some layout lines in pencil.

View Profile of Secret Squirrel Send a personal message to Secret Squirrel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-15 11:51 am   Permalink

I've been busy carving the mouth out. The tiki has definitely taken on some character and personality. I just need to clean it up a little and add some vertical lines for individual teeth.

Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-15 5:41 pm   Permalink

I was bored so I carved the teeth.

Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-20 2:21 pm   Permalink

I've been busy removing a lot of wood to give this tiki a defined jaw. Next I'm going to work on finishing the base of the tiki.

Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-24 5:23 pm   Permalink

I finished carving the body of the tiki today. I was a bit nervous about carving this part because I've never carved a traditional tiki base like this before. There's a lot of intersecting angles. I just took my time. I really like how it turned out. I'm going to go over it and do some minor clean up with small chisels and finish sanding it. Now it's time for some decorative carving on the forehead, the neck dress and on the lower base.

Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-30 5:52 pm   Permalink

I got a little more carving done. I added some decorative carving to the base and the neck dress. I also carved the half moons on the eyes. I'm still trying to decide if I completely like the way the eyes turned out. Maybe I just need to get used to them. I'm used to looking at the eyes being unfinished.

martian-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 10:06 pm   Permalink

it looks like Milton Berle to me
http://www.loveaquote.com/authors/milton-berle-quotes/

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-02 04:46 am   Permalink

^ totally...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-02 07:54 am   Permalink

I guess that's good that you guys think it looks like Milton Berle. This tiki represents happiness, prosperity and good luck. I have several of these tikis in my collection. This tiki god is supposed to have a smile and a jolly look with a slighty sinister look. I think I've executed that look in this carving. I have a neat headdress design in mind for this tiki. It's not going to be easy. I did a test carving on some scrap wood and I think it's going to look really nice. Now I just need to draw on some layout lines and start carving.

Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-03 5:48 pm   Permalink

that looks really beautiful

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-03 6:02 pm   Permalink

Thank you for the kind words. I thought I was ready to start carving the headdress. Unfortunetely the design that I had in mind that I tested on a flat piece of wood just didn't transfer well in pencil to the curved surface of the forehead. The flow was just off and there really wasn't enough room to pull off that carving properly. I might use that idea on another tiki carving another time. I do have a plan B and I'm pretty sure this one will work. Back to the drawing board.

Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-09 8:32 pm   Permalink

I finished carving the headdress. Now this tiki is finished. The only thing left to do is clean up the carvings a little and do some minor finish sanding. Then it's time to put the finish on.

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-10 08:16 am   Permalink

Nice clean carve SS!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation