FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Secret Squirrel Tiki Carving
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Secret Squirrel Tiki Carving
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-10-01 6:04 pm   Permalink

Nice work!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-10-01 6:26 pm   Permalink

Thank you. Carving by hand is definitely a lot of work. I learned some things while carving this tiki. I'll use those things to get faster while doing future carvings.

View Profile of Secret Squirrel Send a personal message to Secret Squirrel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-02 07:14 am   Permalink

You have been giving yourself some interesting challenges with you first few pieces. Using hard woods has its rewards - like the beautiful grain and finishes - however it may limit you if you're doing it all by hand. I started out using hard woods as well, but one of the things that helped me develop my knife skills was switching to basswood or butternut after using hard wood. It gives you more freedom to work on form and technique, and allows you to make mistakes without feeling bad about screwing up a nice piece of wood. The soft stuff will also help develop your speed as you get more confident in your cuts. Keep 'em coming!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-26 3:51 pm   Permalink

I took your advice on carving some softer wood. I picked up some basswood. Not to carve tikis with. I used the basswood to do sample carvings of decorative headdress designs.

View Profile of Secret Squirrel Send a personal message to Secret Squirrel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-26 4:08 pm   Permalink

Here's my newest tiki carving that I just finished carving a few days ago. I've been slowly working on this tiki for a while. It's 18"Hx6"W carved from black walnut with a tung oil finish. This is the largest tiki that I've carved so far. I learned some new things while carving this tiki. I also got a chance to use some new chisels. I like how this tiki turned out.

domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-26 6:57 pm   Permalink

i like how it turned out too. nice finish, i always liked walnut.

View Profile of domin Send a personal message to domin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-26 7:25 pm   Permalink

Thank you. I really like carving black walnut.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-26 8:07 pm   Permalink

Nice! Symmetrical and smooth, beautiful grain

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-26 3:44 pm   Permalink

Here's another tiki that I finished carving a couple of days ago. It's carved from curly maple. This piece of wood has some nice sap wood, spalting and division lines. The curl doesn't show up as well in photos compared or real life.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-27 05:42 am   Permalink

Awesome mask. I love your finishes SS. Well done!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Secret Squirrel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-27 07:32 am   Permalink

Thank you very much. I appreciate your compliment. It's nice to know that after all the hard work someone likes the finished piece. I put a lot of time and effort in to my work.

[ This Message was edited by: Secret Squirrel 2015-03-27 07:33 ]

DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-27 09:13 am   Permalink

Outstanding and original! I dig the detail on his headdress...

View Profile of DHTiki Send a personal message to DHTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-27 09:39 am   Permalink

It's apparent that you do put a lot of work into your carvings. Nice carve but also beautiful wood and nicely finished. Good work!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation