FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Home decor that isn't tiki in itself but the front of the house when its finished will have tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Home decor that isn't tiki in itself but the front of the house when its finished will have tiki
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-31 8:37 pm   Permalink

I recently had a print of Gidget goes Hawaiian framed and thought I'd share it. It now lives next to our jukebox stocked with 1950s and 1960s 45s including Felix Mendelssohn and his Hawaiian Serenaders "Little grass shack" probably recorded in the 1940s.

I've also been redecorating the front of the house and when its finished I'll share some pics. Here's the first.

[ This Message was edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2013-11-02 01:41 ]

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-31 8:54 pm   Permalink

Where is the tiki decor?

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-01 10:41 pm   Permalink

Sorry it isn't tiki enough for you Lake Surfer. There's a tiki head on the wall and a couple of tiki designs on the window sill decoration. Anyway here's the rest of the pics now its finished. Less is more so they say.

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-01 10:48 pm   Permalink

You originally posted a picture of a Gidget poster and a jukebox. Not tiki at all.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/about.php

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2013-11-01 23:33 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-01 11:38 pm   Permalink

To be fair, Dave, T.H. IV did not entitle his post "Tiki Home Decor" - just "Home Decor" - and as that, it all goes OK with Tiki style (even if it is not that in itself).

What Dave was wondering was is WHY open a thread on its own with things that by themselves are not Tiki style. All this might seem like anal semantics and dogmatism, but there is legitimate cause to be worried about the watering down and muddling of a genre.

When someone new comes to this site, which is called "Tiki CENTRAL", and opens your thread, they could assume your photos as representing "Tiki Style". Many here will say "So what if they do, who cares?" and "It's all supposed to be fun", but the fact that there are people here who do care is what makes this Tiki Central, and not some other generic home decor site.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-02 01:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-01 23:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
To be fair, Dave, T.H. IV did not entitle his post "Tiki Home Decor" - just "Home Decor" - and as that, it all goes OK with Tiki style (even if it is not that in itself).

What Dave was wondering was is WHY open a thread on its own with things that by themselves are not Tiki style. All this might seem like anal semantics and dogmatism, but there is legitimate cause to be worried about the watering down and muddling of a genre.

When someone new comes to this site, which is called "Tiki CENTRAL", and opens your thread, they could assume your photos as representing "Tiki Style". Many here will say "So what if they do, who cares?" and "It's all supposed to be fun", but the fact that there are people here who do care is what makes this Tiki Central, and not some other generic home decor site.

By the great God Ku you're right! I've amended the title of my post so as not to confuse the unwary. Whew that was a close one.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-02 02:58 am   Permalink

Hahaha, good one! It's great to see someone with a good sense of humor here, thank you for a good laugh

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-02 03:09 am   Permalink

You have a really good look going! I would love to have a home where I could bring out that mid-century feel.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-02 09:30 am   Permalink

A great Tiki facade, with the mdi-century Tiki, tropical Ti leaf plants and Tapa print.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-02 09:48 am   Permalink

LOVE that window sill, and the bamboo window screen!!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-02 7:51 pm   Permalink

I love the look...NICE JOB!!!

I have other rooms in my home that are not Tiki, but wanted to share the decor so I posted in Beyond Tiki. Sacrilege but someones gotta do it!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-04 08:40 am   Permalink

Very clean, mid-century vibe, great color choices. Well done!

Now get that twelve foot Tiki out in front so everyone will shut up...
with a water feature preferably...
...and some fire.

View Profile of tigertail Send a personal message to tigertail      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-04 10:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-04 08:40, tigertail wrote:
Very clean, mid-century vibe, great color choices. Well done!

Now get that twelve foot Tiki out in front so everyone will shut up...
with a water feature preferably...
...and some fire.

Now you're talking! I'll have a few Moai shipped over from Easter Island to line the driveway just for good measure. Thanks for the nice comments.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-05 06:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-04 22:08, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
Now you're talking! I'll have a few Moai shipped over from Easter Island to line the driveway just for good measure. Thanks for the nice comments.

Didn't someone else here also have that done to their driveway recently? I hear the trick is to bury the bases deep enough in the ground otherwise they fall over and you have to run out in the middle of the night and push 'em back up again. That can be a pain...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCalTikiGal
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-05 10:34 am   Permalink

Painting the bricks in a tapa print was pretty clever--gives me some ideas for my own brick patio. Thanks for the inspiration! The house looks great!

View Profile of SoCalTikiGal Send a personal message to SoCalTikiGal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation