FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » John’s Old Time Radio Show w/ R. Crumb “Great Hawaiian Records” of the 1920′s & 30′s
John’s Old Time Radio Show w/ R. Crumb “Great Hawaiian Records” of the 1920′s & 30′s
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 07:48 am   Permalink

http://www.eastriverstringband.com/radioshow/?p=1023

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 11:57 am   Permalink

Cool link, thanks!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 1:19 pm   Permalink

Definitely Hawaiian music for purist. They don't even like electrified steel guitars. But great music, show and link.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 3:23 pm   Permalink

Crumb was a fan of traditional folk, and always was a bit of a purist. And an eccentric. If you've never seen the documentary "Crumb," it's a strange way to spend a couple hours.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 4:02 pm   Permalink

And R. Crumb recorded some traditional blues from the 1920's-30's with his musical combo, the Cheap Suit Serenaders. Sadly, their versatile guitarist, Bob Brozman, passed away last April.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 12:01 am   Permalink

..and he now is active for this fine French combo:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 12:49 am   Permalink

It's funny how different people like different things in Hawaiian music. these guys start out saying Hawaiian music went downhill after the 1930s, yet, in Hawaii itself, the 1950s is ALWAYS heralded as "The Golden Age" of Hawaiian music.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 06:04 am   Permalink

The 50's and later are my favorite era...when recording technology caught up with the talent.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 1:47 pm   Permalink

My favorite is Nelstone's Hawaiians

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dakota Red

Posted: 2013-11-04 7:17 pm   Permalink

There're parts of all recorded Hawai`ian music I resonate to, from earliest to modern-day. That said, I find the "feel" of older/more traditional Hawai`ian music "best" for me. This has zero to do with extant recording technology contemporary to the music one's listening to IMHO. For as many folks who celebrate digital technology & file-sharing, there're others who're comfortable with acetates, 33 1/3's, or [Pele forbid...] "Actual Live Performance"... Plus I was a fan of R Crumb's work decades ago, still admire it...

[ This Message was edited by: Dakota Red 2013-11-04 19:18 ]

View Profile of Dakota Red Send a personal message to Dakota Red      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-05 09:16 am   Permalink

I never said I prefered digital, modern recordings. In fact, I don't. Just not into that tinny, scratchy sound from the 20s and 30s. it has it's place, of course, and can be quaint and charming....but it's not my preference.

I have a very extensive vinyl collection, BTW.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation