FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
*Bamboozled*
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-19 09:24 am   Permalink

Great thread -- keep up the good work Destro100!

View Profile of *Bamboozled* Send a personal message to *Bamboozled*      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-20 10:08 am   Permalink

I just checked the Grogalizer, and the Headhunter ratings are all over the map, from a 4 to a 10. It leaves some scratching their heads, like Destro100, and the rating evens out to a 7.3. I think this one does benefit from fresher, better ingredients.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-21 12:45 pm   Permalink

Will I ever need to replace my creme de banana?:

Drink 33: Planet of the Apes

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Pineapple Juice (Dole)
Orange Juice (fresh-squeezed)
Bols Creme De Banana
New Foundland Screech Golden Jamaican Rum
Lemon Hart 151

I love banana. Why doesn't this drink taste like banana? I know; because the creme de banana only makes up 20% of the drink. How does that make sense? Coupled with the fact that you are adding a 1/2 ounce of 151, there is no way for the banana flavor to stand out.

I didn't love this drink. It tasted too one-note, the orange and pineapple juices overwhelmed the drink with sweetness, the 151 overpowers the the rum and liqueur, and the name is way too creative. I hope I don't sound overwhelmingly negative; the drink tasted fine but my expectations were too high.

My personal rating: ** (2) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4 - EXCELLENT - 5 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 10 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog

3 - GOOD - 9 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter

2.5 - ABOVE AVERAGE - 3 drinks and counting
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail

2 - AVERAGE - 5 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes

1.5 - BELOW AVERAGE - 1 drink and hopefully not too many more
Boo Loo

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 09:44 am   Permalink

Not tiki:

Drink 34: Hawaiian Room

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Pineapple Juice (Dole)
Lairds Applejack (bottled in bond)
Controy Triple sec (not Cointreau)
Flor De Cana - 4 Year - Light Rum

This is an interesting cocktail more akin to a classic craft cocktail, rather than a tiki drink. The alcohol stands out in front, while the lemon and pineapple provide a refreshing citrus background. The applejack brings a bit of heat, and helps make the drink less one-dimensional. I definitely recommend using the 100-proof (bottled in bond) applejack; it works great in cocktails.

All that being said, the cocktail is not all that memorable. There are plenty of other variations of this type of cocktail that need our attention.

My personal rating: ** (2.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)

Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog

3 - GOOD - 9 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter

2.5 - ABOVE AVERAGE - 4 drinks and counting
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail / Hawaiian Room

Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes

Boo Loo

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-24 07:32 am   Permalink

Are my taste buds dying? I kind of like this:

Drink 35: Fogg Cutter

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice
Fresh lime juice
Simple syrup (1.5-1 ratio sugar-water)
Flor De Cana - 4 Year - Light Rum
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
Courvoisier VS Cognac
Brokers London Dry Gin
Pure almond extract

I find it interesting that on paper this drink should make no sense: equal parts dark rum, light rum, brandy, and gin. This sounds ludicrous.I would expect someone with no experience making cocktails to try something like this at a Jamaican resort cocktail competition (here's looking at you Sandals - been there, done that - endless shame). Alas, it works. I don't know how, but it works.

I suspect the almond extract is the savior. I think it does what the orgeat tries to do in the other Fog Cutter recipes. In the other recipes, the nuttiness of the orgeat is mostly lost; yet in this version, the strength of the almond extract manages to hit the back of the palate, as well as the swallow, with a great nutty-bitterness. Without it, all you get is a sweet-sour-strong mess of liquor that you find in the original Fog Cutter.

However, the same weakness that you find in all the Fog Cutter recipes can be found here as well. Don't use quality liquor. Your ability to differentiate what you're drinking is hopeless. All you will know for sure is that you are drinking something quite strong and inoffensive.

I opted to switch from the Warwick Gin I've been using in the other Fog Cutters for Brokers London Dry instead. For those that aren't familiar with Brokers, it is a fantastic budget ($17-$20) London dry style that works nicely in most classic cocktails. Highly recommended - Nice juniper and lemon peel flavors that won't overwhelm any drink; instead it compliments flavors nicely.

Final notes - for some reason I kept thinking that adding carbonation to this drink would work well. It would create a unique tiki-soda flavor profile that could enhance the drink. Someday perhaps.

I was torn - is this a 3 or a 3.5? I think I will leave it at a 3 because I can't hold my head up high and use four different base spirits in one drink and be entirely proud of the results. A man must have some standards to live by.

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

3 - GOOD - 10 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter

Boo Loo

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 07:11 am   Permalink

How is this so good? Did you read the ingredients?:

Drink 36: Hell in the Pacific

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
1883 Routin Pomegranate Grenadine
Lemon Hart 151

There is no better feeling than being completely surprised by a drink you expected to be boring, one-dimensional, and unpalatable. I love all the ingredients listed, but I had not idea how these would come together. I didn't see that one special ingredient that would elevate and differentiate the flavor. I was completely wrong.

I often complain about how Maraschino has a tendency to overpower a drink if not used properly. Normally, I would be very apprehensive of using 1/2 an ounce of Maraschino; yet here the nuttiness shines beautifully as it is tempered by the roaringly strong, spicy, and beautiful Lemon Hart. Two very powerful flavors do battle and create a sublime new monster that highlights the best elements of both ingredients.

The key is the dilution. If the dilution is not administered properly, this drink could be a complete FAIL. When I first read it, I didn't understand why a pilsner glass was suggested. I dutifully followed the recipe and made sure I used PLENTY of crushed ice. I found that the water was needed to dilute the bold flavors competing for attention. Without all that crushed ice, enough to fill a pilsner glass, the drink might be unbearably strong.

After tasting and arriving at my own conclusions, I logged onto the grogalizer to find out what others were saying. Just as I expected, opinions varied greatly and I suspect that many of the lower scores came from users that did not properly build their drinks.

Final note: I think I may raise the level of grenadine slightly in the future. It's quite subtle in this drink, but the tartness adds another wonderful quality to this drink.

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4 - EXCELLENT - 6 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific

3 - GOOD - 10 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter

Boo Loo

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 08:50 am   Permalink

Bif fan of Hell in the Pacific here too!

Keep the great reviews coming!

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-26 07:40 am   Permalink

A parade float in honor of rum:

Drink 37: Noa Noa

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Demerara simple syrup (1.5-1 / sugar-water ratio)
Fresh mint leaves
El Dorado 12 year rum

This reminds me of the way an "Old Fashioned" serves as a vehicle for highlighting whiskey; this drink highlights rum. But it does more than that. It is also delightfully refreshing. Obviously, the addition of mint makes this reminiscent of a mojito, but the style of rum and Demerara syrup alter the flavor sufficiently to make this its own drink.

I realize this is a riff on a Caribbean drink and I'm not really sure how it has been changed; it's not a very complicated drink. It is enjoyable without being exceptional. It's perfect as a backyard summer drink and exploring different Demerara rums. It won't change your world but can make your day a bit brighter

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific

3 - GOOD - 11 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa

Boo Loo

[ This Message was edited by: destro100 2014-02-26 12:15 ]

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-27 07:16 am   Permalink

Magical Ratios:

Drink 38: Chief Lapu Lapu

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice
Fresh lemon juice
Simple syrup (1.5-1 / sugar-water ratio)
Passion Fruit Syrup (from Goya 100% puree/concentrate)
Coruba Dark Jamaican rum
Flor de Cana 4 year - Light rum

What a fantastic surprise. Surely a case where simplicity trumps complexity. If you get the right oranges, the right lemons, decent (or better) liquor, the correct dilution, and perhaps most importantly - the right passion fruit syrup - you have a rare gem on your hands. It has the quintessential tiki-passionfruit flavor that so many drinks aspire to capture but fall short due to less than perfect ratios or ingredient combinations.

While it's true that I didn't use passion fruit syrup derived from "fresh" ingredients, I love working with the fruit concentrate because I can really control the sweetness, tartness, and concentration. In this case, I tend to leave my syrup extra tart. I actually use 2 parts concentrate to 1 part sugar to 1/2 part water. This creates the combination I like and I can also easily adjust from there as needed. This combination allows the tartness and distinct passion fruit flavor to distinguish itself without being confused for sweetness. If more sweetness is needed, it is easy enough to add a bit of simple syrup.

The fruit flavors are in perfect harmony, yet I'm sure that others may want to reduce the lemon (I don't), The rums compliment each other delightfully, and the dilution keeps the drink tasting great to the last sip. I can't wait to try this with some higher-end rum to see if the drink gets even better.

I'm giving this a rare 4.5 rating based on getting everything right - including the setting you enjoy this in. Otherwise, it's just a measly 4.

My personal rating: ****1/2 (4.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4.5 ALMOST PERFECT - 1 drink so far
Chief Lapu Lapu

Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa

Boo Loo

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-28 07:40 am   Permalink

Interestingly delicious:

Drink 39: Krakatoa

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice
Fresh lime juice
White Grapefruit Juice (bottled 100% juice - not from concentrate)
Yoga Apricot Nectar
John D. Taylor's Velvet Falurnum
Stirrings Espresso Liqueur
Flor de Cana 7 year - Golden rum
El Dorado 12 year Dark rum
Angustura Bitters
Hawaiian Valley Coffee (freshly ground - very similar to Kona)

I live for tiki recipes that include more than seven ingredients. That's what makes tiki mixology so much fun. True, many of them don't live up their promise, but this one does. It's complex, unique, delicious, and intoxicating.

I'm a huge fan of the Mai Kai's coffee-based drinks (Mutiny and Black Magic), and I really appreciate what the bum has created here. This is his take on the style and it works wonderfully. It's also pretty unique in its own way. The combination of juices gives this drink a nice foil to work with against the deep earthy bitterness of the coffee and the Angustura. The combination of rum is interesting and staying away from the Jamaican pot-still funk helps differentiate this drink from other tiki drinks that are too reliant on the jamiacan rum flavor profile as a backbone to their drinks. I'm not completely sure how the Falernum is working here as it seems there are too many other things going on, but perhaps if I used a homemade more-intense version it would come through more boldly.

This is a great drink for tiki aficionados. I don't think I would serve it to newbies; it might be too complex to appeal to the untrained-tiki-taster.

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4.5 ALMOST PERFECT - 1 drink so far
Chief Lapu Lapu

4 - EXCELLENT - 7 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa

Boo Loo

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-28 08:04 am   Permalink

Nice review. Love the Krakatoa! One of my favorites of the Bum's own

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-28 09:57 am   Permalink

Regarding your homemade passion fruit syrup: how do you mix the Goya, sugar and water? do you heat them, and if so, until boiling? Thanks in advance. Also thanks for reminding me to make myself a Chief Lapu Lapu!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-28 10:14 am   Permalink

HI Kill Devil,

I start by putting all 14 ounces of passion fruit pulp in a pan/pot turning the heat on low.

As it melts, I slowly add up to seven ounces of sugar. I stir till it is well incorporated and add an additional 3 ounces of water.

If I'm not feeling too lazy, I might grate a very small amount of lemon or lime peel into the syrup.

The syrup doesn't necessarily have to boil, but once the ingredients are sufficiently incorporated, I let the syrup stand to cool. If I used lemon/lime peel, I strain the syrup.

I bottle with a 1/2 ounce of Wray and Nephew to extend the life. I used to worry about the rum changing the flavor of the syrup, but I found that after a day the rum lays back quite a bit and the passion fruit flavor remains bold.

Anyhow, that's how I do it. I would gladly accept any suggestions for improvement.

AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-28 2:26 pm   Permalink

I was inspired so I made a Krakota

Before I added the coffee I found it a bit sweet, after I added the coffee I found it a bit overpowering at first (my float was a bit more of a 'dump'), the cold coffee edge in a new taste I've not experienced in a cocktail (coffee liqueur yes, cold coffee no!). I added a little honey mix & *bam* it came round to my tastes.

I hope to have a little coffee tiki cocktail voyage of discovery for a few weeks - so far I rate the Mr Bali Hai highly, it's a bit simpler to make too.

Also regarding passionfruit syrup: if I am making a drink that is passionfruit syrup heavy (is more than 1 shot, like a Hurricane) I use passionfruit juice & sugar syrup (in a ration of 3:1 or 2:1) to get the same effect. Or I just put half a passionfruit in if it's shaken (I dont mind the seeds). Anyone else do either of these?

2 questions for you Mr Destro100:

Are you revisiting some of the drinks as you go? Do you have any addition tips to share?
Second time I make a drink I usually appreciate it a little more.

What order are you doing the drinks in?
In looking up the Krakatoa in Remixed tonight, I noticed the previous page was the Hurricane - (H is before K in the alphabet) & twigged you'd missed some out - do you plan on making these at a later date?

Cheers! Adam

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-28 6:15 pm   Permalink

Destro, you made Krakatoa sound so delicious I had to make one this evening. I liked it and I liked how complex the flavor was. The coffee flavor was a great addition. I have never had any tiki drinks with coffee in it so this was my first. Also, this was one of largest cocktails I ever had, WOW! I might try some of Mai kai's coffee drinks next.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation