FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 9:33 pm   Permalink

Destro100- this is great, keep up the RUM
Cheers

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 12:06 am   Permalink

So glad to see the high ratings for Chief Lapu Lapu and Krakatoa. These remain two of my favorites from the Grog Log. I rated them similarly way back in the day and feared that I may have been overly exuberant, but this confirms that they do hold up.

I actually suggested to the Bum that he find a way to put the Krakatoa on the menu of his new establishment. I think it's an underrated gem from his books. I'd put it right up there with the Mutiny and Black Magic. I have a feeling he'll offer at least one large coffee/snifter drink of some sort. It's just a matter of which one(s).

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 07:11 am   Permalink

Hey Folks,

Thanks again for the encouragement and interest. It's always nice to know that some folks are enjoying the journey with me.

AdorAdam - You had two good questions
Do I revisit drinks?
Unfortunately, at this point I don't. If a drink seems off, beyond dilution, I will try to tinker with it slightly.

I will definitely revisit some of these when I have company, but at this point, the task is still pretty intimidatingly large so I'm trying to plow forward and enjoy each drink on its own.

You also mention that sometimes you appreciate a drink more the second time. This is true, but there are so many factors that contribute to the experience including: accompanying food, quality of the ingredients, time of day, time of week, time of year, previous drinks enjoyed, setting and especially company. This is why I don't claim to make any definitive ratings; not even for myself. These reviews simply capture a moment of time and allow me to safely assume within a range of a point (including halves), how much I generally enjoy each drink.

Regarding the order of drinks
I am trying to stay in order, but it's not always possible. I'm still trying to get my hands on that Parfait Amor for the Royal Daiquiri - I haven't forgot you!!! In the case of the Hurricane and Rumrunner, I simply ran out of passionfruit syrup, didn't have Bacardi 151, and at the same time had some fresh oranges I wanted to use. I don't expect to ever jump more than 3-4 pages ahead. In truth I try not to peek too far ahead. I love the surprise.

Hiltiki - Glad you enjoyed the Krakatoa. You must try the Mai Kai drinks. They are just as unique and delicious in their own way

Hurricane - You are damn right! There better be a coffee-based drink on his menu. As a matter of fact, I would love to see a Beachbum book of just original drinks. Do you think he has ever considered this?

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 01:21 am   Permalink

A book of original Bum drinks would be sweet, but I'm assuming the bar will be the focus of his attention for a while. But my guess is that his best recipes have yet to be published. Martin Cate has a book coming out in the fall, so at least we have that to look forward to.

Quote:

On 2014-03-03 07:11, Destro100 wrote:
Hurricane - You are damn right! There better be a coffee-based drink on his menu. As a matter of fact, I would love to see a Beachbum book of just original drinks. Do you think he has ever considered this?

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 07:38 am   Permalink

The creator, Constantine Ribaillagua, is a "mixologist"

Drink 40: La Florida Cocktail

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Carpano Antica (Italian Vermouth)
Marie Brizard White Creme De Cacao
Pierre Ferrand Curacoa
Routin 1883 Grenadine
Flor de Cana 4 year - Light rum

This is a beautiful drink; both in terms of flavor and appearance. It has all the elements of a classic cocktail including balance, and quality of ingredients. At the same time it also has a unique flavor profile that is produced by an interesting combination of ingredients. I have never seen a lime-vermouth-cacao-rum combo before. But it works. It really works.

I went with Carpano Antica as my italian vermouth. It has an unforgettably bold and luxurious flavor. The company has recently started selling Carpano in the U.S. in 375 ml bottles and at that size, it has become an indispensable part to my liquor collection.

That being said, I find that I have to be careful with Carpano as it can easily dominate a drink, but in this case, combined with so many other competing flavors, the Carpano manages to shine through with its sweet cherry and herbal tartness without diminishing the other flavors in the drink. I find it to be in perfect harmony with the creme de cacao (an ingenious addition to the drink itself) and the touch of grenadine for tartness.

The use of a whole ounce of lime makes this drink fall into the sour category of classic cocktails, but I think the drink would still work fine if it was dialed back to 3/4 of an ounce. I personally love sours and would not change it.

This is a great drink for entertaining, personal meditation, relaxation, and surprising your guests. It tastes great and looks lovely. I'm not sure why the reviews on the Grogalizer tend to vary widely. This drink was a winner for me all the way.

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4.5 ALMOST PERFECT - 1 drink so far
Chief Lapu Lapu

4 - EXCELLENT - 8 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 10 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog

3 - GOOD - 11 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa

2.5 - ABOVE AVERAGE - 4 drinks and counting
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail / Hawaiian Room

2 - AVERAGE - 5 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes

1.5 - BELOW AVERAGE - 1 drink and hopefully not too many more
Boo Loo

[ This Message was edited by: Destro100 2014-03-04 07:41 ]

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 12:24 pm   Permalink

After reading the chapter on Constante in "Potions," this one is definitely on my list to revisit. I'm guilty of giving it a low Grogalizer rating when I first ran across it in "Grog Log," but it's likely at that point I was using less-than-stellar ingredients.

FYI, the recipe in "Potions" calls for white Cuban rum, of course. I may have to trot out my rapidly declining bottle of Havana Club 3. The Bum also recommends Bacardi 1909, Cana Brava, Plantation 3 or Doorly's 3.

One interesting sidebar that fascinated me: "Constante always hand-squeezed his limes. He wanted the essential oil from the peel to inform the drink. When using a metal squeezer, the oil largely ends up in the metal."

It's amazing he stuck to that rule at such a high-volume bar as La Florida for as along as he did. Legend has it that when he died in 1952, he had squeezed 80 million limes and made 10 million daiquiris.

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-05 11:00 am   Permalink

But why "turtle"?:

Drink 41: Tortuga

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice
Fresh lime juice
Fresh lemon juice
Carpano Antica (Italian Vermouth)
Marie Brizard White Creme De Cacao
Pierre Ferrand Curacoa
Routin 1883 Grenadine
Lemon Hart 151 Demerara rum
Bacardi 151 rum

A very unique tiki drink. Tasting this right after the La Florida cocktail makes it completely apparent what Trader Vic has done. As the "Bum" points out, Vic took a craft cocktail classic and completely tiki-fied it. I love the original and I'm not quite sure if this is an improvement. It's fantastic, but so is the original.

The challenge here is selecting the right ingredients. I think most italian vermouths might overpower the drink; especially as this drink calls for one whole ounce of vermouth. Despite the well-known strength of Carpano Antica, I found that it balances beautifully with chocolate (from the creme de Cacao) and much of my fear was quickly dispelled. The drink maintains the uniqueness of its ancestor while bringing a broader flavor and fruitier background.

This is a great drink, but like the Krakatoa, it might be too complex for the tiki novice. I would save this for those with well-versed tiki palates or cocktail experts.

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
Chief Lapu Lapu

4 - EXCELLENT - 9 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 10 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog

Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa

Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes

Boo Loo

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-05 7:19 pm   Permalink

Destro, I finally got to make your almost perfect Chief Lapu Lapu. I agree with you again, fantastic drink. I used Coruba and Cruzan light, and for fresh orange juice I used tangerine juice ( I have a tangerine tree). Loved it, thanks for all the research. I had made this drink in the past but had used the recipe from Grog Log which called for Sweet and sour mix instead of lemon juice and didn't care for it as much. But this one was so good.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-06 07:31 am   Permalink

Thanks for the update Hiltiki!

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-06 07:36 am   Permalink

Solid Standby:

Drink 42: The Hurricane

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Passion fruit syrup
Appleton Extra 12-year Jamaican Rum
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
Smith and Cross Jamaican Rum

How do you review a classic? It was pretty difficult to be objective.

At first I thought that the ingredients were pretty simple and straight-forward; I decided to layer the drink by using a combination of Jamaican rums. I went with 2 oz of Appleton and 1 oz each of Coruba and Smith & Cross.

For those that haven't had the pleasure, I highly recommend keeping a bottle of Smith & Cross around. It is an awesome Jamaican rum. Quite powerful and possibly overwhelming on its own (57 proof) but when used in a cocktail or with other rums - it's quite simply magical: It has a beautifully sweet brown sugar and tropical fruit aroma. The taste has that distinctive pot-still funk that lets you know you're drinking a real Jamaican rum - nothing tastes quite like it.

Back to the drink. At first I wasn't all that impressed. It's not that it was too simple; it just didn't wow me.

First issue, this is a strong libation: 4 oz. of rum! You really need to wait for the ice to dilute a short while to uncover the true taste of the drink. Once diluted, the strength is no longer a problem.

Next issue, I love sour drinks, but I didn't think the sourness was balanced enough; the 2 oz of lemon seemed too tart, and the passionfruit only added to the tartness. It needed a touch of sweetness. Of course I've had numerous Hurricanes in the past, but I'm pretty sure they were bastardized versions; yet one thing stood out about them - I did miss that grenadine taste that the imitations often utilized.

I added a quarter ounce of grenadine.

Now the drink came together. It was refreshing and tropical. The rum sent me swimming, and I clearly understood how this drink makes sense when served as a pre-made pitcher concoction that would be ideal for company. I don't know if I need to repeat the drink for myself, but I will definitely be sharing it with others on our deck next summer.

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
Chief Lapu Lapu

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 11 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane

Boo Loo

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-07 10:11 am   Permalink

Dude, you should totally try one of these, you can barely taste the alcohol! Awesome bro:

Not Awesome.

Drink 43: Rum Runner

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Chambord Blackberry Liqueur
Marie Brizard Creme De Banna
Bacardi 151
Routine 1883 Grenadine

How do you review a spring break classic?

I know people really like this drink but it is most definitely not for me.

1) I don't like alcoholic slushy drinks. They feel targeted to 20-year olds. I like frothy but usually not "slushy." There are exceptions.
2) This is too sweet.
3) The flavors blend into an unidentifiable mix of boozy sugar and fruit.
4) Too much ice.

My personal rating: ** (2) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
Chief Lapu Lapu

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 11 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane

2 - AVERAGE - 6 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rumrunner

Boo Loo

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-08 12:48 am   Permalink

Destro100, your assessment of Smith & Cross is spot-on. It should be considered an essential rum in any Tiki mixologist's arsenal. I'll have to try your suggested rums in a Hurricane. I'm a bit biased, but I'll take any dark Jamaican rum combo in that classic.

FYI, this year's Tales of the Cocktail official cocktail competition is called "Taming the Hurricane," a challenge to bartenders to "pay homage to this classic cocktail with their own creations." The all-star lineup of judges will be Jeff Berry, Ian Burrell and Wayne Curtis. It will be interesting to see what the competitors come up with.

More info here:
http://talesofthecocktail.com/all-events/2014-events/tales-of-the-cocktail-2014/tales-cocktail-2014-official-cocktail-competition/

heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-09 10:52 am   Permalink

With regards to the Hurricane - my favorite version by a long shot is Little fragrant Tiare's take on it, which she dubbed Funky Hurricane.

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=11911

Smith & Cross lovers: unite!

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 08:02 am   Permalink

Don't be afraid to embrace the inner craft-cocktail:

Drink 44: Lani-Honi

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Benedictine Liqueur
Flor De Cana - 4 year light rum

This was an interesting drink. At first, I was quite confused. What type of drink is this? It seems to be based upon a classic craft cocktail template, yet turned on its head. First, the proportions are wrong. In a typical classic cocktail, the base spirit dominates the drink, and the sour and sweet components are found in smaller quantities. It usually looks something like 4-2-1 or 3-1-1. In this drink, the Benedictine (a bit of sweet and sour/bitter) is 50% greater in quanitity than the strong (rum) component. Strange.

Next, this has too much crushed ice to be a classic cocktail. It would typically be served shaken and strained into a cocktail coup.

But - I think it works. I really enjoyed it. Perhaps because Benedictine is not overly sweet, and no other sweetener is added, the drink maintains balance. It tastes like a lemon cough drop. In a good way. The lemon flavor is forward and pleasantly rounded out by the herbal and almost honey-like qualities of the Benedictine.

If you're expecting a tiki drink, or for that matter even a tropical drink, you might be disappointed. This drink has a sophisticated flavor that is refreshing, herbaceous, lemony, and very novel. This is a nice dinner-party/cocktail-party style of drink.

I was disappointed to see all the low ratings on the Grogalizer. In comparison to other tiki drinks, this is so different that expectations were probably off. Then again, perhaps folks just have different tastes than mine. Either way, you've been warned - not everyone enjoyed this drink as much as I did.

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
Chief Lapu Lapu

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 12 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi

2 - AVERAGE - 6 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rumrunner

Boo Loo

Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-11 08:38 am   Permalink

I think the Rum Runner can be improved substantially by subbing LH151 for the Bacardi, and using some real banana instead of the creme de banana (you're blending it anyway right?). Blackberry Brandy is an underutilized Tiki ingredient (it's not Tiki, but I suggest the Warsaw Cocktail is a good use of BB as well)

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation