FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-14 07:30 am   Permalink

Drink 54: 151 Swizzle

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Simple Syrup (1.5 - 1 sugar to water ratio)
151 Lemonhart
Angostura Bitters
Pernod

This is my type of drink. I admit that I tend to prefer stronger drinks than most people; especially my wife, who has more of a sweet tooth. Therefore, while I may really enjoy this drink, I would probably never serve this to friends or guests unless they specifically asked for it. It has a very particular flavor profile that others may not appreciate. It probably won't appeal to those looking for a fruity, sweet, or exotic drink.

It is a strong rum drink that tastes like a strong rum drink. With one and a half ounces of 151, you are really drinking closer to 3 ounces of a normal rum. Couple the 151 with the flavors of Angostura and Pernod, and this drink might actually taste even stronger than its alcoholic content would have you believe. That being said, I cannot imagine another rum filling in for the Lemonhart. I did notice that the recipe actually calls for either Lemonhart or El Dorado 151, and this confuses me. I don't have El Dorado 151 but I did notice that it was a translucent white rum when I saw it in the store. I'm not sure how a white rum, regardless of strength, can capture the smoky rich flavor of Lemonhart 151. Any opinions?

The lime juice helps bring the bitters and Pernod together for a sour-bitter backdrop that works well off the smoky bold Demerara flavor that first hits your palette. The simple syrup helps tame the alcoholic assault on the senses, and the cinnamon and nutmeg add another aromatic and delicate flavor element to the drink. Swizzling with the cinnamon stick keeps the drink nicely mixed and adds a hint of cinnamon flavor

This drink is carefully balanced. The proportions and ingredients are to be carefully measured and chosen if the imbiber intends to capture the authentic 151 Swizzle experience. Even the ice is essential. The taste changes and mellows as the ice dilutes and the drink takes on a new level of complexity. This drink is deceptively simple but very tasty and well-thought out. Enjoy and proceed with caution.

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

4.5 ALMOST PERFECT - 3 drinks so far
Chief Lapu Lapu / Kikuya Lapu / Mai Tai (Trader Vic)

4 - EXCELLENT - 11 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle / 151 Swizzle

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 13 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz

3 - GOOD - 14 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall

2.5 - ABOVE AVERAGE - 4 drinks and counting
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail / Hawaiian Room

2 - AVERAGE - 6 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner

1.5 - BELOW AVERAGE - 2 drinks and hopefully not too many more
Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-15 05:38 am   Permalink

Once again, sorry about the delay. I am back with five reviews READY TO GO. I think I will still limit them to one-a-day.

Drink 55: Never Say Die

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Dole Pineapple juice (canned)
Fresh orange juice
Grapefruit Juice (100% pure white - bottled)
Honey Mix (1.25 - 1 honey to water ratio)
Flor De Cana - 4 year white rum
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
Plantation 5 year rum
Angostura Bitters

I was pleasantly surprised by this drink. It is both sweet and strong at the same time; yet still very well-balanced. It is also one of those drinks whose taste profile, always makes me immidiately think "tiki." There is a nice combination of fruit, honey, and rums that consistently works well together. That being said, the drink could easily fall short, especially when marred by inferior or inappropriate ingredients.

The rum combination here is interesting. It's carefully balanced between the sweetness of the Barbados rum, the body and funk of the Jamaican rum, and the background and strength of the white rum. While I think I could get a way with subbing the Coruba with other Jamaicans and the Flor De Cana with other whites, I can't imagine replacing the Plantation from Barbados. I bought this rum recently, and considering the price, I was blown away. It is a beautifully constructed rum and brings to mind the sweetness of brown sugar, a layer of vanilla, and just the right amount of heat. All that for under $20. Go out and buy it.

Back to the drink: The combination of lime, pineapple, orange, and grapefruit come together nicely and are well-measured. The fruity sourness does not exceed the alcohol in measurement while the small amount of honey blends particularly well with the Plantation creating a wonderful honey-brown sugar backdrop. I also love the dash of Angostura, and the way it adds a bitter and subtle spice note to the drink.

Some may argue that this drink is over-complicated. I agree, but it is a matter of perspective. I would definitely serve this to guests; but I would not relish making more than four at a time.

Additional thoughts: This is one to savor, as the layers of flavors tend to slowly unveil themselves over the course of the drink. I also think it's quite safe to add additional ice to the finished drink without fear of excessive dilution.

Near the end of the drink, I imagined that soda water would make this drink even better. It did not. I thought the carbonation would bring out more of the nuanced flavor. Unfortunately the added water muddled everything instead. Adding additional crushed ice and allowing it to melt slowly was, by far, the better way to go.

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle / 151 Swizzle

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 14 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Never Say Die

Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall

Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-16 10:03 pm   Permalink

Destro100,

Good to have you back in the saddle. I'll try to offer some applause from the back of the room when I can. I know I could use a nudge to keep plowing through "Potions of the Caribbean." I've knocked down 41 with 11 more still TBD (to be drunk). I'm skipping seven in that book, so seeing you tackle "Remixed" in its entirety is encouraging. You've just covered several drinks that The Mai-Kai has elevated even higher, so I'll chime in with a few comments from that perspective (plus some shameless plugs).

I'm not a huge fan of the 151 Swizzle in its raw form. As you point out, it's not for everyone. But somehow Mariano Licudine took this scorchingly strong drink and made it palatable to the masses without reducing the firepower. I've had no complaints when I recommend it to folks, and it's No. 3 on my Mai-Kai Top 10. Before Lemon Hart 151 returned to the bar, they actually used Bacardi 151, and it was not as bad as you would think. But obviously LH makes a huge difference. So does the addition of falernum and grenadine, which makes it much more accessible.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/

Never Say Die does seem overly complicated for no reason. You're spot-on in choosing those rums, which are coincidentally also among the ones that I recommend. I don't rate it as highly as you do, but then I've had The Mai-Kai's Oh So Deadly. In that version, the drink gets a nice flavor kick from some cinnamon syrup, and the rums include Lemon Hart and The Mai-Kai's signature dark Jamaican, Kohala Bay. Definitely one of the best of the mild drinks on the menu.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/22/mai-kai-cocktail-review-a-delicious-and-oh-so-deadly-treat/

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-19 05:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-16 22:03, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Destro100,

Good to have you back in the saddle. I'll try to offer some applause from the back of the room when I can. I know I could use a nudge to keep plowing through "Potions of the Caribbean." I've knocked down 41 with 11 more still TBD (to be drunk). I'm skipping seven in that book, so seeing you tackle "Remixed" in its entirety is encouraging. You've just covered several drinks that The Mai-Kai has elevated even higher, so I'll chime in with a few comments from that perspective (plus some shameless plugs).

I'm not a huge fan of the 151 Swizzle in its raw form. As you point out, it's not for everyone. But somehow Mariano Licudine took this scorchingly strong drink and made it palatable to the masses without reducing the firepower. I've had no complaints when I recommend it to folks, and it's No. 3 on my Mai-Kai Top 10. Before Lemon Hart 151 returned to the bar, they actually used Bacardi 151, and it was not as bad as you would think. But obviously LH makes a huge difference. So does the addition of falernum and grenadine, which makes it much more accessible.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/

Never Say Die does seem overly complicated for no reason. You're spot-on in choosing those rums, which are coincidentally also among the ones that I recommend. I don't rate it as highly as you do, but then I've had The Mai-Kai's Oh So Deadly. In that version, the drink gets a nice flavor kick from some cinnamon syrup, and the rums include Lemon Hart and The Mai-Kai's signature dark Jamaican, Kohala Bay. Definitely one of the best of the mild drinks on the menu.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/22/mai-kai-cocktail-review-a-delicious-and-oh-so-deadly-treat/

Okole maluna!

Hey Hurricane,

I think I'm heading back to the Mai Kai in July and will definitely try their 151 Swizzle. How could the addition of falernum ever be bad? It sounds like a great upgrade. I may have to sample their Never Say Die as well; I always tend to go for the Black Magic or something else unique to their menu. Obviously, more research is required.

Thanks for the feedback.

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-19 05:15 am   Permalink

Drink 56: Pago Pago

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Fresh orange juice
Grapefruit Juice (100% pure white - bottled)
Honey Mix (1.25 - 1 honey to water ratio)
Appleton 12 Year - Dark Jamaican Rum
Angostura Bitters

Another solid drink that seems to be aimed at my particular palette. As previously mentioned, I tend to enjoy sour and bitter flavors within my drinks. It comes from my appreciation of classic and contemporary craft cocktails beyond the tiki movement. This drink manages to push the limits of the sour element without going overboard; at least not for me.

The lime tends to mask the alcohol and makes the drink an easy sipper. The honey provides a nice layer of sweetness that isn't overly saccharine. In a strange way, the drink reminds me of an orange-flavored Mai Tai. I think this is due to the careful balance of ingredients and the distinctive rum I used for the drink. I tend to save my Appleton 12 for drinks where I know it will be the sole rum, or at least it will be taking center-stage. As usual, the addition of bitters helps add a subtle new dimension to the drink's sour-first profile.

The Pago Pago is meant to be enjoyed at a leisurely pace. I'm picturing myself enjoying this drink on the patio with some asian BBQ.

SCORECARD:

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 15 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Never Say Die / Pago Pago

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-20 05:42 am   Permalink

Forgive the unnecessary and vulgar inclusion of my hairy legs
Drink 57: Painkiller

Ingredients I used:

Canned Pineapple juice (100% juice - unsweetened)
Fresh orange juice
Lopez Coconut Cream
Appleton Extra - 12 year Rum
Cinnamon & Nutmeg

This is an iconic drink and like most iconic drinks, it is very unique, yet unremarkable. It's sweet. A little too sweet for me. The drink is balanced by a combination of sweet (pineapple, orange, and coconut) with strong (dark rum). As most drinks require a third element to complete true balance, the missing element being sour/bitter, this drink lacks complexity.

I love the combination of coconut, orange, and pineapple. It reminds me of Orange Julius. Does anyone remember them? They're all gone from New York and only my memories from childhood remain.

The coconut and pineapple combination comes through strongly and matches well against the strength of a dark rum. In retrospect, I should have selected a darker rum so as to be more pronounced in the final drink. I can see a mix of Myers, Black Strap, and Smith & Cross (for strength) might have worked better. In general, I felt the drink could be stronger.

The texture is great. I definitely recommend dry shaking (without ice) the drink first to incorporate the coconut cream prior to shaking with crushed ice. If done successfully, the texture is creamy, rich, frothy, and palate-coating. I also find that if my coconut cream has been in the fridge for too long, I have to briefly warm it up on the stove to soften it.

As the initial taste captures the texture and sweetness of the ingredients, it is in the back and swallow that the alcohol makes itself felt. It's a nice surprise attack to counter the initial dessert-like sweetness of the drink. Ultimately, the drink is a bit too 2-dimensional. It's sweet and alcoholic and what you probably expect. Almost too familiar, and therefore unexceptional. Still iconic

SCORECARD:

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 17 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 05:46 am   Permalink

It's different.

Drink 59: Strip and go Naked

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Fresh orange juice
Brokers Gin
Svedka Vodka
Vienna Lager (Trader Joe's)
Grenadine by 1883 Routin

I was initially skeptical of this drink. It is the first drink in Remixed to include beer as an ingredient. While it may seem simplistic, I get the feeling that this drink went through a few iterations before arriving at the final recipe.

The lime and beer combination is reminiscent of a few traditional regional combinations. It reminds me of a Corona with lime. It also reminds me of a traditional Shandy (beer and lemonade or carbonated lemon-flavored beverage). It is even reminiscent of a good wheat beer (thinking Franceskaner ) with a lemon slice (sacrilege in some places - but not in my home). The combination provides a unique bitterness as well as a refreshing embrace to the drinker. I went with the Trader Joe's Vienna Lager because it is a solid crisp-tasting lager. It won't blow anyone away, but it serves its purpose adequately.

The orange juice and grenadine help elevate the drink into tiki territory by providing a subtle and tart tropical-fruit flavor to the drink. I appreciate that the drink is not overly sweet.

Interestingly, this is one of the few drinks in Remixed that doesn't include rum. Instead, the combination of gin and vodka strengthen the drink. This is a very strange combination. In essence, gin is flavored vodka. I realize that the statement may be a gross generalization, but for the sake of most cocktails, it's true. Gin is a grain-based spirit distilled as vodka would be, and the only difference would come from the choice of botanicals (usually juniper, lemon peel, coriander, cardamom, etc.) added to the distillation process.

Since the two spirits (gin and vodka) can be quite similar, I think both were used, so that neither flavor would dominate the drink. If 2 ounces of gin were used, the drink would have a strong juniper flavor that could muddle the subtle orange-grenadine sweetness. If two ounces of vodka were used, the drink might really bite you and dominate the swallow. As it is, the combination, only makes itself felt and tasted at the end of the sip and helps booster the drink's strength. I like the fact that the flavor of the spirits is not up-front.

I went with Brokers as it is my go-to London Dry Gin for most cocktails. It is very affordable and works well in most drinks. I chose Svedka as my vodka, as I find it to be a great choice for smoothness at a fair price point. Svedka is also the vodka I tend to use for most of my infusions.

The Strip and Go Naked is a solid drink for a hot day and due to the large amount of liquid, it seems to last a long time. It is also a good choice for those that aren't particularly keen on cocktails and prefer beer. I enjoyed the drink, but not enough to keep it in my rotating repertoire. Fantastic name though.

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller

3 - GOOD - 15 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked.

2 - AVERAGE - 7 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner / Pieces of Eight

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-22 06:15 am   Permalink

Good to see you back Destro100

Also, it's good to see Pago Pago Punch getting a spin - I have not made it with Appleton 12 previously, sticking to Coruba which worked well. I thought a more refined rum might have got a bit 'lost' in the fruit juices... obviously i'll have to give it another go!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 07:15 am   Permalink

Hey AdorAdam,

You might be right. The Appleton does get a slight bit lost; but not too much. I might consider bolstering it with a quarter-ounce Smith & Cross.

AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-05-22 10:29 am   Permalink

A cousin brought me a litre bottle of Coruba from Oz (Coruba isn't available in the UK) ~ IMO it is the superior cheap Jamaican rum. I drank most of my bottle of Coruba in Coconauts, Hurricanes, Pago Pago Punches & similar drinks.

I don't think the Pago Pago Punch could considered a delicate sipper, it's more of a 'hey, we've got lots of fruit juices, some honey & some rum, let's go!... Ooh, this tastes goooood'

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 10:43 am   Permalink

Destro, I agree with you about the Painkiller being unbalanced without the tart component, but it's a great drink when you are in the mood for sweet and strong. At the risk of seeming the corporate shill, I am among those who thinks the drink really only shines with Pusser's as the sole rum used. In the states we're pretty much limited to the 84 proof (not counting the brutally expensive 15 year), but the few times I have been able to get my hands on the 95.5 proof Pusser's and have made the side by side comparison I have found that I actually prefer the 84 proof. In a Navy Grog it's a different story, and Pusser's 95.5 sings in that drink. If you think the Painkiller alcohol level could have been dialed up a bit, go with a Painkiller #3 or even a #4. I think the #2 (with 2 oz. rum) is the right balance with Pusser's.

Re your preference for a lemon wedge with your hefeweizen, I am in agreement. I think it's a goof flavor complement to the banana-clove/phenolics in the hefe flavor profile. Knocks down that gorgeous weissbier head, but I can deal with that compromise. As for the newer tradition of an orange slice with a witbier, I only think that is necessary if you are drinking a crappy excuse for a witbier like Blue Moon.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-05-22 2:35 pm   Permalink

I put 1/2 lime in a Painkiller to balance it a little, I think it's a bit plain without something sour bit with something sour added it's good.

At the moment I make Painkillers with a mix of dark rums bottle ends I combined to 'get rid' of them (the woody demerara rums OVD & Woods being the main parts) - it actually creates a chocolate orange flavour which I really like (& will probably scratch my head trying to recreate).

Anyway, I tried the Pago Pago Punch with Appleton 12 (I'd been meaning to since Destro100s post):

With one shot of rum it is a light drink (not necessarily a bad thing), the fruit juices compete with the refined rum. I added another shot of rum & a little more sweetener, the drink became more rummy against the fruit juices.

All in all it's good with Appleton 12, if it was a hot day you could sink lots of these

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-23 05:54 am   Permalink

Sweet and solid.

Drink 60: Polynesian Paralysis

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
Dole Pineapple unsweetened juice from the can
Baker's Bourbon
Simple Syrup (1.5 to 1 sugar to water ratio)
Orgeat by 1883 Routin

My wife is a beer drinker. She enjoys cocktails and tiki drinks on occasion but prefers beer. I was quite pleased when she agreed to share the Polynesian Paralysis with me; drinking this alone would have given me quite the sugar rush and quite a buzz.

I didn't have okolehao, so I opted for bourbon. As I compiled the ingredients, I knew that this would be sweet. For that reason I went with Booker's Bourbon. It is a small batch bourbon from Jim Beam that is aged 7 years and bottled at 107 proof. I thought that surely the strength of this bourbon should balance the amount of juices and syrup in the drink. Not really. My wife didn't even realize the drink was made with bourbon. Instead, she assumed there was a light or gold rum being used. The strength was there, but the bourbon flavor took a backseat to the other ingredients.

Fortunately, the flavor combination is nice. The lemon, orange, pineapple combination provides a great citrus-punch flavor. The orgeat helps elevate and add a little complexity to the drink. The nuttiness gets a bit muddled but stills helps to add an additional dimension. As a matter of fact, the inclusion of the orgeat and the use of a top-down milkshake mixer seems pretty essential to the success of this drink. The frothy, creamy texture generated by the top-down mixer, combined with the nuttiness of the orgeat almost fooled my wife into thinking there was coconut in the drink as well.

I question the necessity of the simple syrup. Cutting the simple syrup and raising the alcohol content might have resulted in an additional half-star. This is a nice easy-drinking, good to share, and perfect for sweet-toothes concoction. It lacks some balance and an exotic ingredient or two to help develop a richer flavor.

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

3 - GOOD - 16 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis

2 - AVERAGE - 7 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner / Pieces of Eight

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

nvasilakes

Posted: 2014-05-23 4:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-23 05:54, Destro100 wrote:
Ingredients I used:...

...Baker's Bourbon...

...For that reason I went with Booker's Bourbon. It is a small batch bourbon from Jim Beam that is aged 7 years and bottled at 107 proof...

I'm confused: did you use Baker's or Booker's? I'm guessing you meant Baker's because that's 107 proof. Looks like Booker's is also aged 7 years but bottled at 127 proof. I wonder if that would change anything in the drink?

I'm new to Bourbon in tiki drinks but I did try the Western Sour recipe from Remixed lately and found I quite liked it. I may have to try this one next.

View Profile of nvasilakes Send a personal message to nvasilakes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 05:42 am   Permalink

Sorry for the confusion. I meant Baker's Bourbon.

I've been lusting after a bottle of Bookers, but it is a bit out of my price range at this time.

Thanks for catching that.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation