FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 8:22 pm   Permalink

Yeah the Chicago Beachcomber's Gold is fairly lacking in character and not too Tiki. Get on to the Waikiki and Palm Springs versions, they are a definite step up.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-11-20 20:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-11-20 20:23 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-26 2:03 pm   Permalink

My next tiki stop on my journey:

Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki)

This is much different from the other versions of the Beachcomber's Gold variations. It is much closer to the oft-repeated tiki combination of lime-passionfruit-rum that is quite common within the bum's tomes. That being said, the Angostura and and honey mixture adds a delicate refinement to the flavor. Overall, I'm not sure if I need to repeat this drink. It didnt make that strong an impression. In fairness, I used a diluted passionfruit syrup in place of passionfruit juice; I'm not sure how much different the flavor would have been if I stuck with the orginal recipe as described.

Ingredients I used:

Flor De Cana Extra Dry (light) Rum
Smith & Cross Jamaican Rum
Fresh Lime Juice
diluted passionfruit syrup
honey mixture - honey & water
Angostora bitters

My completely personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5) - Mildly interesting

[ This Message was edited by: Destro100 2014-01-16 08:25 ]

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-27 09:05 am   Permalink

My next tiki stop on my journey:

Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)

This is easily my favorite version of the Beachcomber's Gold. It's significantly different from the other recipes and adds two interesting elements to the tiki formula. I love the use of Pernod (which did appear as an ingredient in the previous Beachcomber recipe), and the use of almond extract which is subtly different from using orgeat - more subtle and less sweet. I also appreciated taking a break from the usual fruit syrups/juices (passionfruit, orange, grapefruit, etc).

Overall, I really enjoyed this recipe and would serve it as both a tiki cocktail but also to my less tiki-inclined friends. I think everyone can appreciate the delicate complexity of flavor derived from the combination of rums, and the subtle sweetness that may be overpowering in some tiki drinks. Finally, I should mention that the Pernod also adds a gentle and welcome layer of bitterness to the overall experience that contrasts nicely with the almond flavor.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lime Juice
Homemade simple syrup
Flor De Cana Gold - 4-year Rum
Smith & Cross Jamaican Rum
Appleton Extra - 12-year Rum
Pernod
Pure Almond Extract

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-03 11:58 am   Permalink

Hmmm...

The Waikiki version seems like it has better ingredients IMO, it is strange that the Palm Springs is better.

Keep up the good work!

Side note - My friend was in a random bar that was empty around turkeyday in NOLA, when to his surprise the Beachbum himself was giving an interview on his new book. My friend eavesdropped on the whole interview and them chatted with him for awhile after. The reporter got a copy of the book but that was all he had. My friend seemed to think that he doesn't get noticed usually. Beachbum was surprised that he was recognized.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-03 4:10 pm   Permalink

I made all three Beachcomber's Golds a couple of weeks ago and the Waikiki and Palm Springs versions were head and shoulders better than the Chicago version that is just very odd. With the passionfruit and honey, the Waikiki is very much in the Tiki wheelhouse and is similar to a lot of good cocktails. The Pernod and almond extract give the Palm Springs some interesting flavor layers that come through nicely in the rum and touch of simple syrup. Two very different drinks and interesting to have them back to back.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-17 07:43 am   Permalink

The next stop on my tiki journey:

Beachcomber's Punch

I really enjoyed this drink. Delightfully sweetened by the simple syrup, apricot liqueur and yet balanced by the lime, grapefruit, bitters, and the subtle but totally necessary contribution of the Pernod. I also think using a great rum helps give this drink the backbone it really needs. Finally, the apricot flavor and Pernod are the key elements helping to distinguish this drink from other familiar tiki drinks.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lime Juice
White Grapefruit Juice (bottled - 100%)
Marie Brizard Apry
Homemade simple syrup
12 year - El Dorado Rum
Angostura Bitters
Pernod

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 1:29 pm   Permalink

next stop:

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch

This was delightfully complex. I'm always a sucker for drinks with either ginger beer or falernum, but put them together and I am a very happy tiki-camper. This drink came out nice and frothy and this combination of rums work well together. Finally, the Pernod-Angostura combination adds that great bitter background-accent that subtly enhances the drink without dominating or demanding attention.

I would love to make this for guests but I have to admit, the ingredient list is pretty intimidating. This drink is probably best served for two.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lime Juice
Dole Pineapple Juice (canned but not from concentrate)
Reed's Ginger Beer
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
4-year Flor De Cana gold
Mount Gay Eclipse rum - gold
Velvet Falernum
Angostura Bitters
Pernod

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

[ This Message was edited by: Destro100 2014-01-16 09:11 ]

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 1:41 pm   Permalink

The Beachcomber Punch is very good and the Colonal Beach Plantation Punch is excellent -- among my favorite DtB drinks for sure. Alas, currently out of both homemade Falerrnum and Taylor's Velvet. Need to make a booze store run.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-12-19 14:15 ]

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 8:54 pm   Permalink

Destro- keep up the good work...
Your bar must be getting huge

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-19 07:09 am   Permalink

What went wrong?

THE BOO LOO - went wrong!

I have finally had my first disaster. I know this drink should be amazing.

It was not.

Where to begin?

The directions say, "a few chunks of pineapple." What the hell does that mean? I put in about 3-4 pineapple spears. I definitely did not liquify them sufficiently. My bad.

Then I have to ask, if we are using fresh liquified pineapple, why are we adding pineapple juice? Why not just increase the amount of fresh fruit to liquify?

Next, I am not enamored with the combination of rums. I love combining rums, but the sweet spot is a combination of 2-3 rums. 4 different types of rum seem excessive; in fact, they completely overpowered the drink and didn't balance well.

Additionally, adding 1&1/2 oz of club soda doesn't do enough to help the drink either. The drink has nearly 10 oz. of liquid already. In order to carbonate the drink to a noticeable and favorable degree, you need at least 2&1/2 oz. of soda - or more - probably more.

Please enlighten me. I have so many drinks ahead. I don't know that I really want to go back and try this again.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Pineapple
Dole Pineapple Juice (canned but not from concentrate)
Fresh Lime Juice
Honey Mix (1:1 honey to water mix)
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
Lemon Hart 151
12-year El Dorado Rum
4-year Flor De Cana gold
club soda

My personal rating: *1/2 (1.5) out of ***** (5)

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-19 10:22 am   Permalink

I would re-check your recipe for the Boo Loo. I just checked my Tiki+ app and it only calls for 3 rums - two Demeraras and a dark Jamaican. I see you're using a combination of four full-flavored and aged rums.

I have only made the Boo Loo using a hollowed-out pineapple, and while it has never been a disaster at all, it has been a refreshing but not a spectacularly amazing drink. I never thought it was horrible, though. It has quite a high "novelty" and "photo" factor. The only time I make this is when I want to wow my guests.

1.5 stars is kind of low, and I think that there are worse drinks out there. I didn't see the quantities of each ingredient you used, but I do wonder if it was your rum combination which caused the weird result?

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-19 10:47 am   Permalink

Hey Ace Explorer,

I also noticed that the book, Beachbum Berry Remixed, actually does have a different recipe when compared to the Tiki+ app. The printed recipe does in fact include four different rums: Dark Jamaican, Lemon Hart 151, Dark Demerara Rum, and Gold Puerto Rican rum. I also double-checked the ratios as well. Perhaps the Tiki+ app recipe, which excludes the Puerto Rican Gold, is the way to go?

Anyone else notice the difference?

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-19 10:59 am   Permalink

The Bum does update his books, good for him! We will have to try both Boo Loo recipes side-by-side. I've got a gathering scheduled for Friday night and might make that a project for our little group that evening. If we do it, then I'll report results here.

I do not recall Tiki+ having ever been updated. It's still an excellent product.

This is a good thread. My liver and I thank you.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-19 2:48 pm   Permalink

So far I have only used the 3 rum Grog Log/Tiki+ recipe, but I love this drink. I typically ise ED5, Coruba, and LH151. Important to note that the Grog Log version calls for a full ounce of honey, not honey mix and I think that extra honey makes a huge difference in this drink. If you use honey mix use a rich 2:1 honey mix rather than the 1:1.

For me, "a few pineapple chunks = up to a couple of rings. Like Ace I usually do this drink when I have fresh pineapple to use and a pineapple shell to serve it in, and I'm sure the fresh pineapple improves the drink.

I often scratch my head at the small club soda additions as well (I do the same with Navy Grogs and Rum Barrels). As often as not I'll just leave the club soda out.

I would definately say mix this up again with the three rums, a full ounce of honey, and skip the soda and see what you think.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-19 7:42 pm   Permalink

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch is a good lookin drink! I will have to give that one a try sometime soon.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation