FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-20 07:28 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I will come back to the Boo Loo at a much later point. I've decided to stick to the purist route, adhering to the "Remixed" recipes precisely (or as close as I can get - considering ingredient availability). I still have at least a hundred recipes ahead, and there is no looking back till I complete my Tiki journey.

On a side note, I thought I would post some pics of my ever-increasing bar (not in a traditional sense - but in a "storage" sense) and my current mixing station.

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-20 07:47 am   Permalink

Awesome job, Destro, especially labeling the pics. Those who delve deeper into the Bum's books eventually have to come up with an organization plan. You're doing a great job! I also agree with your "no looking back" approach - you'll have plenty of time to come back to your tasting and testing notes later. I will be trying both recipes myself in the near future, and for purism sake, without pineapple shells. This is, after all, science, right? Heh...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-20 3:07 pm   Permalink

Wow, nice Destro! I wish my wife was understanding enough to let me put the booze on display the way it should be. I have bottles tucked into cupboards and bins and taking up counter space and it's basically an organizational train wreck compared to your setup.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-02 07:24 am   Permalink

Getting back on track:

Bourbon Special

After the roadblock that was the Boo Loo, it's nice to get back on track. It's also nice to try a tiki drink with a different base spirit. I love bourbon and this drink did not disappoint.

This is very close to and reminiscent of a traditional whiskey sour, but the use of lime instead of lemon adds a new sour profile. I'm not sure if I prefer the lemon-bourbon combination, but it definitely wasn't bad. The falernum and ginger beer add great background notes and help add complexity. Finally, the Elmer T. Lee is one of my favorite bourbons: Spicy, syrupy, warningly sweet, and long-lasting on the palette.

In future, I might even increase the level of Falernum and ginger beer to amplify the ways in which this drink is different from a traditional sour.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lime Juice
Simple syrup
Velvet Falernum
Ginger Beer (Kelly's Jamaican)
Elmer T. Lee bourbon
Angostura Bitters

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 06:44 am   Permalink

Western Sour

More bourbon enjoyment:

Western Sour

This is another nice tiki drink that uses bourbon as its base. I enjoyed it and I particularly noticed that this drink blends all the ingredients together nicely. It is so well-blended, that if I didn't know what was in it, I might have a hard time picking out the ingredients. Sometimes that is a negative, but in this case, I think it works.

While I enjoyed the drink, it doesn't make a lasting impression like the "Bourbon Special." In the future, I would probably increase the falernum and try a flavored syrup (cinnamon or fruit).

Ingredients I used:

White Grapefruit Juice
Fresh Lime Juice
Simple syrup
Velvet Falernum
Buffalo Trace Bourbon

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-07 07:05 am   Permalink

And yet, one more whiskey-based tiki concoction:

Number 11 - The Eastern Sour

Another nice whiskey drink with a few interesting twists as compared to the previously reviewed Bourbon Special, and Western Sour.

I like the orange-lemon combination; it provides a pleasant sour balance. I also like the suggestion of rye whiskey. The other two whiskey cocktails were both bourbon-based. Being able to switch to rye was a gratifying surprise. In this case, I chose Templeton Rye, but in hindsight, I'd probably go spicier in the future - perhaps Rittenhouse. I love Templeton, but I think it takes too much of a backseat in this drink, where already, there's a lot going on between the citrus and syrups. It's probably the perfect whiskey to use for non-whiskey drinkers, but for whiskey-lovers, you'd probably want something stronger.

Once again, why so little orgeat? Why not just double it, and forsake the simple syrup? Yet another alteration to retry at a later (much later) date.

While it is a most agreeable whiskey-based tiki cockail, I would still place it below the Bourbon Special, yet above the Western Sour.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice (Clementines to be exact)
Fresh lemon juice
Homemade simple syrup (1.5 sugar to 1 water) ratio
1833 Routin Orgeat
Templeton Rye Whiskey

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-07 3:23 pm   Permalink

Hi Destro100, Im enjoying this thread

Quote:

On 2013-12-19 07:09, Destro100 wrote:

What went wrong?

THE BOO LOO - went wrong!

I have finally had my first disaster. I know this drink should be amazing.

It was not. Where to begin?..

I made a Boo Loo a couple of weeks ago with this thread in mind & am only getting round to posting you a reply:

Our methods & ingredients weren't too different - I used less pineapple (e.g. 4/5 chunks or half a spear / a spear cut up ~ i think thats what they mean by 'chunks') & for the rums I used El Dorado 8 & Appleton 8 (& Lemon Hart 151).

My impressions of the Boo Loo were:

The drink was quite pleasant & the rums played a part but it didn't have a depth or distinctive (aka 'delicious!') edge enough for me. Not for me but it did look great in a big snifter tho, maybe Ill make it to share with someone else.

Quote:

On 2013-12-19 07:09, Destro100 wrote:
Additionally, adding 1&1/2 oz of club soda doesn't do enough to help the drink either. The drink has nearly 10 oz. of liquid already. In order to carbonate the drink to a noticeable and favorable degree, you need at least 2&1/2 oz. of soda - or more - probably more

Someone will correct me if Im wrong ~ I dont use club soda to add carbonation, more to add a bit of dilution (with the exception of Doctor Funk or something like that). Anyone agree / disagree?

I've probably chalked up another 10 from the Tiki+ app since my earlier post 6 weeks or so ago

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-08 07:00 am   Permalink

An interesting diversion:

12. The Castaway

As written, I didn't really enjoy the drink - BUT - it was probably my fault. I used Stirrings Espresso Liqueur, which is an all-natural organic product that rocks (it is very affordable as well) - BUT - it is incredibly concentrated and can easily overpower a drink if even a teaspoon too much is used. I used too much. The drink tasted primarily of coffee and not much else.

Alas, I doubled the pineapple, added another 1/4 ounce of gold rum, and a floater of Lemon Hart 151 - and now we're talking. All of a sudden the drink tasted much more like a traditional coffee-infused tiki drink you might find at the Mai Kai. The espresso provided a lovely bitter and complex backdrop to the tropical rum and pineapple juice. As the ice diluted and balanced out the drink, it became increasingly complex and palate-pleasing.

Ingredients I used:

Unsweetened Dole Pineapple Juice
Stirrings Espresso Liqueur
Flor De Cana 4 year Gold Rum

My personal rating: **1/2 (2.5) out of ***** (5)

but with some tinkering (more pineapple, more rum, less coffee liqueur) ***1/2 (3.5) out of *****(5)

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-09 07:03 am   Permalink

13. Banana Daiquiri

Yum:

Drink 13: Banana Daiquiri

First of all, I learned that you cannot make this drink in a Hamilton milkshake maker. It just sirs up the ice without mashing the bananas. I switched to my Ninja with better results. At the same time, I don't love my Ninja for tropical drinks; it tends to make something closer to juice and ice - rather than a slushy and creamy concoction.

Still, the bananas are just dense enough to keep the drink pretty frothy and delicious. While the drink is delightful, it is also lacking in complexity - there aren't any additional interesting flavors you come to expect and rely on in many traditional tiki drink. So, it you're looking for something safe and pleasurable, then this is a good way to go. On the other hand, don't expect to be surprised by a new flavor combination that you've never had.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lime Juice
Simple syrup
Flor De Cana - 4 year Gold Rum
Fresh Ripe Banana

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-10 06:57 am   Permalink

I think most people I've made Banana Daquiris for are shocked at how good they are, due to the awful fake frozen drinks they've endured in the past. Lately I've taken to "Rum Runner-ize" this drink by adding some Blackberry Brandy, try it!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-10 07:21 am   Permalink

They're classic for a reason:

Drink 14 - The Outrigger

This is a classic Sidecar with rum in place of brandy. I loved it. I usually don't like sugar-rimmed drinks, but in this case, it really enhanced and balanced the sourness of the lemon very well.

This drink is particularly ideal for guests; especially those that aren't interested in a traditional tiki beverage (shock and bewilderment). It is delicate, complex-tasting, and classic.

I chose the Santa Teresa 1796 aged rum and was quite happy with my selection. It's a great cocktail for showcasing a great aged rum, and the Santa Teresa has a wonderful sweetness and wood flavor that really comes through.

On a side-note - I used Controy instead of Cointreau as my triple-sec (I own both). Controy is the national triple-sec used and originating in Mexico (1930s), as a matter of fact, if you order a Margarita in Mexico, most of the time - it will be made with Controy - not Cointreau. There is also an interesting historical debate on the topic that you can research online if you are so inclined- some people attest that Citronge (by Patron, the current owners of Controy, is actually the same stuff - I'm fairly sure this is not true. I've taste-tested both Controy and Cointreau on their own and in cocktails - and honestly could not tell the difference in a blind tasting most of the time.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lemon Juice
Controy Liqueur (not Cointreau)
Santa Teresa 1796 Aged Rum

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-13 07:06 am   Permalink

A Beachbum original:

The Coconaut

This is a very classic coconut-flavored beverage that tastes delightful and is fun to share with others.

The ingredient list is deceptively simple, leading me to believe that the drink would be too one-dimensional in the way the Banana Daiquiri turned out to be. But in truth, the final result is adequately complex to make the drink just interesting enough to satisfy even a jaded (which I'm not) tiki-drinker.

I decided to use a combination of Jamaican rums to add an additional layer of flavor: I went with Myers for its rich, dark molasses flavor, and I chose the Appleton Extra for its refined and distinctly Jamaican funk-character.

I shared the drink with my wife, who truly enjoyed it. Appropriately, we drank it while snuggled under covers during the recent snowstorm here in NY, and watched Dr. No, the James Bond movie that primarily takes place in Jamaica. A perfect winter escape.

Ingredients I used:

Lopez Coconut Cream
Fresh lime juice
Myers Dark Jamaican Rum
Appleton Extra - 12 year - Jamaican Rum

My personal rating: *** 1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

New Addition *
SCORECARD:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch: 4
Aurora Bora Borealis: 4
Outrigger: 4
Bourbon Special: 4
Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs): 4
Beachcomber's Punch: 3.5
Coconaut: 3.5
Castaway: 3.5 (slightly modified)
Banana Daiquiri: 3.5
Eastern Sour: 3
Astro Aku Aku: 3
Western Sour: 3
Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki): 3
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago): 2
Boo Loo: 1.5

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-14 07:13 am   Permalink

A citrus indulgence:

Drink 16: Coronado Luau Special

This is an interesting cocktail to say the least. At first, I was a bit frightened regarding adding 2 whole ounces of lemon juice, but alas, my fears where calmed upon tasting. The 3 ounces of fresh orange juice truly helps balance the flavors appropriately. The orange-lemon combination (along with the Grand Marinier) creates a citrus blast that dominates the drink. It's almost reminiscent of a non-alchoholic citrus punch, as these bright flavors first hit your taste buds.

As the drink develops on the palate, the strength of the rum, and the bite of the cognac helps create another layer of flavor that increases the complexity of the drink.

Few minor criticisms and notes:
*This drink is a little too sweet for my taste. It could be that my oranges were exceedingly sweet, but still, I think the simple syrup may be superfluous or at least needs reduction - maybe 1/2 an ounce instead of a whole ounce.

*Furthermore, I love orgeat, and whenever I see a recipe that calls for a 1/4 ounce of orgeat, I sigh in disappointment. Why not just replace the simple syrup with 1/2 ounce (or even 3/4 ounce) of orgeat entirely? Perhaps, I will experiment next time.

*I noticed that the original recipe from Grog Log called for even more citrus. I'm quite glad that the proportions were retuned. The original does not look quite as appealing.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice (Clementines to be exact)
Fresh lemon juice
Homemade simple syrup (1.5 sugar to 1 water) ratio
Coruba Dark Rum
El Dorado - 3 Year Light Rum
Grand Marinier
Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac
1833 Routin Orgeat

My personal rating: *** 1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

New Addition *
SCORECARD:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch: 4
Aurora Bora Borealis: 4
Outrigger: 4
Bourbon Special: 4
Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs): 4
Beachcomber's Punch: 3.5
Coronado Luau Special: 3.5
Coconaut: 3.5
Castaway: 3.5 (slightly modified)
Banana Daiquiri: 3.5
Eastern Sour: 3
Astro Aku Aku: 3
Western Sour: 3
Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki): 3
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago): 2

Boo Loo: 1.5

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-14 12:01 pm   Permalink

this thread is fantastic!

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-14 1:03 pm   Permalink

It sure is great. Makes me want to go work magic at my bar every day!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation