FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 05:45 am   Permalink

Thanks for the comments.

To be honest, I had begun to wonder if anyone was enjoying, or even reading the last few posts. At this point I'm committed to seeing this arduous adventure to its bitter and delicious end; still, it's always nice to have some feedback, questions, and comments.

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 07:05 am   Permalink

Classic style - Unexceptional impact:

Drink 17: Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail

I had mixed feelings about this drink. I wanted to like it the same way I enjoyed the Outrigger, but ultimately the flavor fell flat. The pineapple juice was just not bright enough to shine through. Having said that, I do like the way pineapple and Angostura bitters melded together - they created a lovely pinkish-orange hue and provided a difficult to recognize and unique sour-sweet flavor profile.

Perhaps I should try this with fresh pineapple juice. Almost all of my juices are usually fresh; pineapple (sometimes grapefruit) tends to be the exception.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Dole Pineapple Juice
Homemade simple syrup (1.5 sugar to 1 water) ratio
El Dorado - 3 Year Light Rum
Angostura Bitters

My personal rating: ** 1/2 (2.5) out of ***** (5)

Scorecard:

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch: 4
Aurora Bora Borealis: 4
Outrigger: 4
Bourbon Special: 4
Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs): 4
Beachcomber's Punch: 3.5
Coronado Luau Special: 3.5
Coconaut: 3.5
Castaway: 3.5 (slightly modified)
Banana Daiquiri: 3.5
Eastern Sour: 3
Astro Aku Aku: 3
Western Sour: 3
Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki): 3
Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail: 2.5
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago): 2
Boo Loo: 1.5

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 07:26 am   Permalink

Keep doing your thing Destro!!

I'm enjoying your journey as well.

Cheers and aloha,

Q

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-15 07:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-15 05:45, Destro100 wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

To be honest, I had begun to wonder if anyone was enjoying, or even reading the last few posts. At this point I'm committed to seeing this arduous adventure to its bitter and delicious end; still, it's always nice to have some feedback, questions, and comments.

Destro, remember that TC is a searchable archive. Unlike on social media your work is being saved. I know that I will return to review it many times in the future. Cheers to you and your liver, sir!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-15 07:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-15 07:05, Destro100 wrote:
Ingredients I used:

Interesting note to me on simple syrup. From where I'm at in my mixology endeavors, your simple syrup falls midway between what I think of as simple syrup (1:1) and rock candy syrup (2:1).

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-15 12:05 pm   Permalink

And yet another 'Thank You' from me.
Yours is the first post I check when I log on now. Keep up the great work!

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 12:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone.

Side note - Seriously? Do I need to worry about my liver? I'm averaging about 5-7 drinks a week. I didn't think that was so bad.

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 2:30 pm   Permalink

That sounds like moderation to me for sure.

I also typically use a 1.5/1 simple syrup, mostly because I prefer cold process to heated and it's really hard to get the last 25% of the sugar to dissolve in a 2:1 if you aren't using heat.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-15 4:37 pm   Permalink

I think that 5 to 7 drinks a week is moderate drinking as well. But liver jokes are kind of uncommon, and that's why I have tossed one in every once in a while. Please don't let me be cause for any alarm, and I will give some thought to being more respectful of that concern in the future. While spleen jokes aren't quite as funny, there may be some benefit to changing it up a bit and rotating through organs.

I'm listening carefully for more comments on 1:1, 1.5:1 and 2:1 sugar syrups. I also prefer cold process and never have any trouble with dissolving the sugar because I learned a number of years ago that my blender makes sugar syrup very quickly and very easily. (I ran out of syrup mid-party and had to improvise.) Just blend the hell out of it and you're good to go in a matter of minutes. The air bubbles disappear pretty quickly. So heating is simply not required.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 6:20 pm   Permalink

Ace Explorer, thanks for the tip on making sugar syrup in the blender, never would have thought about that. Destro, nice thread I visit every time you post and will definitely try some of your favorites when I feel adventurous, haha I have been stuck with Mai Tais for a while now..

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 6:53 pm   Permalink

I like a good liver joke as well, and I don't think anyone who frequents this forum is going to take offense at giving the old liver a good-natured ribbing. Phil Harris had a great line about not being allowed to die until the government could come up with a safe way to store his liver once he was gone

I'll have to try the blendered simple syrup approach. I kind of like the versatility of the "half-rich" 1.5:1 simple syrup though and it usually fills the bill for recipes calling for standard simple or rich simple.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-16 05:51 am   Permalink

liver-jokes are all good!

I've usually go with the 1.5 syrup to get the best of both worlds (simple vs. rock/rich). I do cook it a bit as I like the slight caramelized flavor the sugar takes on. I've made so many simple syrups in the past, that I'm pretty content to keep this as my go-to syrup for most recipes.

On other occasions, I whip up a brown, demerara, or turbinado syrup for a little variety.

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-16 07:05 am   Permalink

Kaboom - that's the sound of 1 and 1/2 ounces of 151!:

Drink 18. Kapu Kai

Ingredients used:
Fresh lime juice
Homemade simple syrup (1.5 sugar to 1 water)
Lemonhart 151

I have to admit that I was skeptical. It's a 3-ingredient drink with the sole rum being the Lemonhart 151. While it is certainly very strong, it is still rather enjoyable. That being said, do not drink this if you aren't looking for a strong-rum forward tropical drink.

Pleasantly, all three ingredients in this drink attack your palate in separate waves. First, the sweetness of the lime,rum, and syrup, then the sourness of the lime, and finally the lasting strength and smoky heat of the Demerara rum.

Overall I enjoyed this drink, but still, I don't think I would make it again. It is missing some of the more exciting elements I have come to love about tiki - interesting fruit juices, syrups, and combining rums.

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

Scorecard

Kapu Kai: 3

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-17 07:38 am   Permalink

That's a spicy one:

Drink 19: Jasper's Jamaican

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Berry Hill Pimento Allspice Liqueur
Appleton Reserve

First of all, I was very excited to use the pimento liqueur I picked up during our honeymoon in Jamaica. I picked up two bottles of the stuff, and I really enjoy it. It's a very spicy, warm liqueur with only a touch of sweetness added. the allspice is truly the primary flavor as opposed to many liqueurs that tend to go way overboard with their sugar content. I haven't tried St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram but would love to see how they compare side by side.

That being said, this drink did not really inspire me. Take a look at the ingredients. Half a teaspoon of simple syrup does not sweeten the drink enough, and therefore you have too many bold flavors forcing the drink out-of-balance. The lime, allspice, and rum all seem to be competing for attention. In the future, upping the sweetness might work nicely here - in addition, I think some vanilla syrup could really elevate and complexify (I enjoy making up new words when the old ones won't do) the final result.

My personal rating: ** 1/2 (2.5) out of ***** (5)

Scorecard:

Jasper's Jamaican: 2.5

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 07:39 am   Permalink

Quintessential Tiki flavors:

Drink 20: Don's Special Daiquiri

This captures the combination of traditional tiki complexity and the classic refreshment of a daiquiri. If you have guests and would like to serve something in the daiquiri style, but with a tiki flavor, I highly recommend this drink. Upon tasting, the tiki-virgin would immediately understand why we tiki-devotees are so passionate about our tropical concoctions.

I didn't score it higher because it is missing an element that would help separate it from all the other amazing combinations I've been sampling. In a sense, it doesn't have anything new to say, which is not a bad thing, but does limit the drink's memorability.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Honey mix
Passion fruit syrup (1 part Goya frozen pulp to 3/4 part sugar - I like it a bit tart)
Flor De Cana - Light Rum
Appleton Reserve Gold Rum

My personal rating: *** 1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

Scorecard:

Don's Special Daiquiri: 3.5
Jasper's Jamaican: 2.5

[ This Message was edited by: Destro100 2014-01-21 08:24 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation