FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 12:21 pm   Permalink

This is probably my wife's favorite daiquiri-style cocktail. Sub Appleton Extra for the Reserve and lose the white rum in favor of a gold Demerara and it really takes it up a notch. And if you ever feel like straying from your Remixed adventure, try the Atomic Grog Special Reserve Daiquiri tribute. The Mai-Kai cocktail is a direct descendant of the Don's Special Daiquiri.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-22 07:06 am   Permalink

Hey Sunny,

Thanks for the suggestion. My secret goal, once I complete Remixed, is to move on to Sippin Safari, then Potions of the Caribbean, then the Atomic Grog Mai Kai tributes, and finally Anvil's Top 100 Cocktails to Try Before You Die.

I have a long, long road ahead of me.

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-22 07:37 am   Permalink

Interesting - 2 drinks in one?

Drink 21. Hawaii Kai Treasure

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
White Grapefruit Juice (bottled - didn't have any fresh)
Heavy Cream diluted to light (with addition of milk)
Pierre Ferrand Curacao
1833 Routin Orgeat
Honey mix (homemade)
Flor De Cana 4 year Light Rum

Seriously, 2 ounces of lime juice for one serving? I was skeptical. And then I was pleasantly surprised. I like this drink. I really like it. It's sort of a - two drinks in one - type of experience.

Let me explain. The first thing that hits you is clearly the lime juice and grapefruit. For a brief moment it is very reminiscent of a summer homemade lime-aid. Then everything changes. In a good way. The second drink has a lovely orange-honey-cream flavor that coats the back of your throat and lingers delightfully. If you don't pay attention, you may not notice how well these two different types of drinks coexist in perfect flavorful balance. Not quite yin and yang, as they aren't natural opposing forces, but still, more like a "buy one-get-one free" type of deal at the local tiki market - man, I wish such a thing existed!

Some additional notes - The rum truly takes a backseat here. It does a perfectly adequate job of providing potency, but at the same time, it doesn't stand out at any point. Which leads me to think that this drink would make a good vehicle for experimentation. I can see how the addition of different rums could add some nice complexity to the drink.

I also thought this would be a good point to advocate for:
1 - Pierre Ferrand Curacao. A great spirit with a lot of interesting flavor notes going on. Worth researching
2 - Routin 1833 syrups - I'm really enjoying this brand of syrups. I use them for the few syrups I don't want to make at home: orgeat and grenadine. I find the ingredients and taste to be superior to many other brands I've experimented with. Has anyone else tried their products?

My personal rating: *** 1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch: 4
Aurora Bora Borealis: 4
Outrigger: 4
Bourbon Special: 4
Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs): 4
Beachcomber's Punch: 3.5
Coronado Luau Special: 3.5
Hawaii Kai Treasure: 3.5
Coconaut: 3.5
Castaway: 3.5 (slightly modified)
Don's Special Daiquiri: 3.5
Banana Daiquiri: 3.5
Eastern Sour: 3
Astro Aku Aku: 3
Kapu Kai: 3
Western Sour: 3
Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki): 3
Jasper's Jamaican: 2.5
Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail: 2.5
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago): 2
Boo Loo: 1.5

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 06:48 am   Permalink

I love the Mai Kai - I don't love this cocktail:

Drink 22: Derby Daiquiri

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Fresh orange juice
Homemade simple syrup (1.5 sugar to 1 water) ratio
Flor De Cana 4 year - Light Rum

I have to admit that upon reading the ingredients of this cocktail I was not inspired; turns out I was right. The drink is serviceable but unimpressive. The orange dominates the drink, as I expected when I read that it had a full ounce of it. All the other flavors take a back seat. I think I might enjoy this cocktail significantly more if it was a very hot day and I was drinking it out on the porch; sometimes timing is everything.

My personal rating: ** 1/2 (2.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

4:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki)
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago)
Boo Loo

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-23 07:07 am   Permalink

Destro, I agree with your comments on the Derby Daiquiri. It was my "house cocktail" one very hot summer four years ago. It was light and refreshing as opposed to being bold and complicated. It is a good summertime drink, and, somewhat unusual about this cocktail, is that most non-tiki bartenders who have a blender behind the bar can make it for you if you give them the recipe. The relative simplicity of the drink, and its effectiveness in refreshing on a hot day, is how I believe it came to be popular at the Florida Derby many decades ago in hot-and-balmy south Florida. Fresh ingredients (including orange and lime juices which are not overly tart) are very helpful in ensuring that this drink is a success. Lousy orange juice alone will torpedo the enjoyment of this drink.

I would rate it low in the winter, or when indoors for a night-time cocktail party when stronger/bolder/more complex is more desirable.
I would rate it high in the summer, or when outdoors and weather leads you to a lighter and more refreshing cocktail to enhance the moment.

It's interesting to note that tiki cocktails can be a bit "seasonal" depending on location, weather, mood, etc.

Once again I applaud you and thank you for your efforts and your willingness to share your results with us!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 10:34 am   Permalink

Have pretty much the same feeling about the Derby Cocktail. It is not one I make too frequently at home and I've only ordered it once at Mai-Kai just to see if I was missing something with my home versions (I wasn't). Mario Licudine may have won international bartender accolades with this one but there are many more of his drinks I like a lot more.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-24 06:33 am   Permalink

Simply effective:

Drink 23: Red Tide

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Routin 1833 Grenadine
Appleton V/X Jamaican Gold Rum

A Jeff Berry semi-original; apparently very reminiscent of the 1936 Bacardi cocktail. It is the slight modification the Beachbum makes that actually works for me. The use of a golden Jamaican rum brings the flavor profile front-and-center, and the sweet tartness of the grenadine helps to accent the Appleton flavor wonderfully.

This is not a drink aimed at tiki-philes. I can see this drink being ideal for serving outdoors on a sunny day; especially to non-cocktail aficionados. That being said, this summer I will absolutely do that.

Don't let the 3 star vote disuade you. This is a very nice cocktail, and in my rating system 3 stars = good.

Let me break it down:
1 = toxic
1.5 = below average
2 = average
2.5 = above average
3 = good
3.5 very good
4 = excellent
4.5 = near perfect
5 = perfection

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago)
Boo Loo

Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-24 08:55 am   Permalink

This was probably the first Tiki drink I attempted to make (from the original Grog Log)...just sub Applejack (pref Laird's Straight Apple Brandy)and youve got the sublime Jack Rose cocktail

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 07:19 am   Permalink

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Beachbum Berry last night at the Golden Cadillac in NYC, where he gave a talk about some of the new drinks from his new book, Potions of the Caribbean.

In addition to picking up the new book, a Navy Grog Cone-maker, I also had the privilege of speaking with the expert about my current journey to review all the drinks in the Remixed tome.

Plus a signature. Damn, I guess now I have to keep the book in better condition.

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-29 08:14 am   Permalink

We have a lychee malfunction:

Drink 24: Lychee Nut Daiquiri

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Lychee nut puree (but not really)
Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
Cruzan Aged Light Rum

This was not a very successful cocktail.I live in N.Y. and it's quite difficult to find fresh lychee in the middle of winter. Even though Mr. Berry strongly advises against it, I bought the canned variety, pureed them in my blender and pretended all was right in the world.

Furthermore, I found the proportion of Maraschino called for in the recipe to be too high. It tended to dominate the drink.

The drink isn't terrible; nor is it memorable, delicious, or interesting.

My personal rating: ** (2) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4:
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri
Boo Loo

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 12:44 pm   Permalink

Seriously?:

Drink 25: Fog Cutter

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
1833 Routin Orgeat
Flor De Cana 4 year Light Rum
Pierre Ferrand 1840
Warwick Gin
Pleasant Valley Cream Sherry

As stated by Mr. Berry, this truly is "the Long Island Iced Tea of tiki drinks". Even scarier - I have another four of these to go through; I hope the others offer more in terms of flavor and memorability. (note - I have since sampled the others and am far less alarmed).

The citrus backbone of lemon and orange provides nearly all the depth and sweetness. After the sweetness, all you get is blend of unidentifiable liquor. Nearly any combination of liquor would have created the same effect. I kind of regret using fairly good ingredients in this oddity.

It doesn't actually taste bad; just boring, muddled, and unexceptional. Does any true tiki-fan like this ORIGINAL version of the drink?

My personal rating: ** (2) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4:
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter
Boo Loo

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 07:24 am   Permalink

Now it's starting to make sense:

Drink 27: Samoan Fog Cutter

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
Routin 1833 Orgeat
Courvoisier VS Cognac
Warwick Gin
Flor De Cana 4 year - Light Rum
Pleasant Valley Cream Sherry

Mr. Berry was right! As he usually is. This version of the Fog Cutter is much improved.

I did not use my good brandy (Pierre Ferrand 1840) and opted for the Courvoisier. In addition, I used a pretty inexpensive and unremarkable sherry. Finally, I stuck with Warwick Gin. How can I explain Warwick Gin? It's a product from upstate New York that tries very had to emulate the stereotype of gin that still lingers in our memories from childhood. It's strong-tasting, has juniper and lemon peel intensity, and gives off a fairly strong odor of neutral alcohol. On it's own it doesn't work all that well, but for classic cocktails, it provides a very strong flavor-profile to a drink.

Back to the Samoan Fog Cutter. It's very tart (2 oz. of lemon) and appropriately sweet. Trader Vic kept the citrus ingredients exactly the same as the original Fog Cutter, instead reducing all the other liquor. This brings the drink more into balance. While it is still difficult to differentiate much of the liquor in the initial taste, it definitely seems like less of a joke than the original drink. Upon further tasting research, I can actually see what the gin is doing. It's subtly providing a delictate pine-forest background that gives the drink a nearly unidentifiable complexity while remaining firmly rooted in the tiki-wheelhouse.

For non-cocktail drinkers, the drink may taste too strong and too sour. It may need some modifications to appeal to a more mainstream palate. But then, why not just make a different drink?

I still don't love the drink, but it is definitely an improvement.

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4:
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter
Boo Loo

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 08:41 am   Permalink

You need to be using The Grogalizer. Lots of great advice there.

Yes, making Jasper's Jamaican by the recipe is not great. But I was served the drink by the Bum himself and it was fantastic. Turns out, after experimenting, cut the lime in half. This drink is on constant rotation in the Hideaway. A favorite that everyone loves.

The Derby Daiquiri you will grow to love. Why? because it is light and refreshing as opposed to so many drinks in these books, which may be great, but you either can't drink 2 or 3 of them, or you don't want to. The reason is was so popular in the 60s was because it was accessible. This is all too often lost in drink competitions. Deadhead Rum needs a recipe that is good and can be served in every bar in the country, not something with 10 ingredients and some obscure syrup and bitters. The right drink could sweep the nation and make the right rum a standard like the Dark and Stormy. The Derby Daiquiri fit the bill, and with the promotion of Rums of Puerto Rico, it happened. (See "Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure" for the full story of the Derby Daiquiri)

When we rate drinks, there is a grade based on the drink, which may be quite high, but then there is the "would I drink another now?" and "would I order it again?" rating. Many good drinks fail those tests, especially the first. The Derby Daiquiri, a take on the classic Daiquiri gets extra points on these points.

BTW, the Grogalizer is working with Jim Hayward and will be adding his Mai-Kai Tribute recipes in the near future.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 09:59 am   Permalink

I NEED a Grogalizer App! A perfect compliment to Tiki+. Then my phone bill would finally be justified

If I have a blanket criticism for the Grog Log its that some recipes are indeed lime-heavy. Be wary when you're asked for more than 3/4 oz for a drink, esp when multiplying upwards

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 10:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-07 08:41, Swanky wrote:
BTW, the Grogalizer is working with Jim Hayward and will be adding his Mai-Kai Tribute recipes in the near future.

Big thumb's up

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation