FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-09 01:34 am   Permalink

Aloha to Destro100 and all who follow this thread. I'm way overdue to join the festivities and chime in from time to time. First off, a huge pat on the back to Destro for this endeavor. It reminds me of my never-ending journey through all of the Bum's books.

Wow, this brings back memories. Like they were for many others, Grog Log and Intoxica! were a revelation for me. Finally, I found many of the secrets to making cocktails similar to those amazing concoctions I was enjoying at The Mai-Kai. It kick-started an obsession that, if anything, has only gotten stronger.

I will also echo Swanky's comments: The Grogalier is your friend. It's a great resource and easy way to search and find the Bum's drinks without leafing through all the books (or the app, which is also essential when you're on the go). FYI, I'll be starting a new thread that will detail upcoming updates to The Mai-Kai cocktail guide, which will include adding all the tribute recipes to The Grogalizer in the coming months.

Around 10 years ago, when I first dove head-first into Tiki cocktails, I picked up Grog Log and Intoxica (along with a Trader Vic book) and followed a very similar routine, knocking out as many drinks as I could and studying what made them work. I even rated them on a similar 1-5 scale, which I later adopted to rating The Mai-Kai's drinks. (Later, when I added my ratings to The Grogalizer, I just doubled the numbers.)

But I admire Destro100 for bringing his analysis to another level here on TC, and for taking on Remixed from start to finish pretty much in order (if you pull off four Fog Cutters in a row, god bless you). I'm just wondering if you'll also be tackling the appendixes. The second appendix was the most problematic for me. For instance, should I go to all the trouble to make "sage gomme" to sample that one drink from Trailer Happiness?

The ingredients in Beachbum's first four books were daunting, but still manageable. I would always jump around, sampling those that shared the ingredients I had on hand, stocking up on new stuff along the way. Now, my bar runneth over, but I still keep lists of missing ingredients and the drinks still to be tasted, including the dreaded Remixed appendix II.

The Grogalzier made it competitive. I sought to have the most ratings and comments and to fully stock my bar. At last count, my Grogalizer bar includes 175 of the 185 ingredients (still no Stroh, Sauternes or Van Der Hum Liqueur). Here's my current count of drinks completed and those still to try. (I don't count non-alcoholic drinks and many of the party punches; note that some of the punches can be scaled down to single servings) ...
* Grog Log: 73 down, 4 to go.
* Intoxica: 67 down, 7 to go.
* Taboo Table 11 down, 5 to go
* Sippin' Safari: 66 down, 4 to go
* Remixed (previously unpublished recipes): 62 down, 30 to go (note: I've eliminated some from appendix II that I know I'll never bother with)
* Potions of the Caribbean (in progress): 25 down, unknown number to go (still halfway through book, eliminating some of the more obscure drinks as I go; pretty sure I'll never come across guaiac wood shavings or acid phosphate)

What's great about Jeff's books is that for the most part (appendix II and some of Potions excepted), there's just a handful of drinks in each that have hard-to-find or burdensome-to-make ingredients. It's much more efficient to repurpose ingredients in multiple drinks, like most great Tiki bars do.

One other thing I've noticed looking back on all my ratings is that tastes change over the years, especially as I became more aware of the nuances of cocktails. Some of the drinks I initally panned are now much more palatable. I've gotten e-mails from Swanky to the effect of, "Are you sure about your 151 Swizzle rating?" I've since revisited many of them and changed my ratings. In fact, before the arrivial of "Potions," I went through all my low rated drinks in "Sippin' Safari" and found a few that have since grown on me. I'll admit, however, that I'm pretty rigid about sticking to the printed recipes. If I'm going to change it, I'd rather make it an entirely different drink, in the Tiki tradition.

Back to Derek's grand undertaking: I'm enjoying the photos as well as the rundown of the exact brands used in the drinks. This will surely spur me to revisit some of these classics.

Keep up the great work. Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-09 4:15 pm   Permalink

Hurricane Hayward - some very good observations there, sir! I whole-heartedly agree that our tastes do evolve over time, and I totally get your revisions to previous drink ratings. Outside of tiki, I'm exploring whiskies and gins and finding similar revisions are needed as my palate expands and is refined through trying new things.

Cheers to you and the others who inspire us readers to strike out in new directions, or to be more thorough in exploring the full gamut of what's out there in Jeff's books.

Now run out and get yourself that bottle of Stroh's 60 you've been missing out on!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-10 2:14 pm   Permalink

Wow. Great feedback from everyone.

Swanky, I love the Grogalizer. It is an amazing resource. I don't refer to it in my reviews because I am trying to review the drinks without being influenced by other opinions. In addition, I'd like to review the recipes as they were written. 

One thing I've learned, is that so much of life is subjective; especially booze! A drink to one person might be terrible to someone else. That same drink might taste completely different at different times of day or accompanied by different foods. That drink may even taste different at different points within our lives. A drink will definitley taste different after drinking six of them. There is no such thing as a "real" score for any drink.

That being said, I'm seeing this endeavor as a personal reference, a spiritous and spiritual journey, an opportunity to develop my writing, and finally, as a chance to further develop my palate. The grades are by no means definitive, nor are they meant to influence someone else's opinion. They capture my impressions of my version of a drink, enjoyed at a specific moment in time.

Before jumping into tiki drinks, I have spent the last few years experimenting with classic and craft cocktails of all types. Tiki is a beautiful and fascinating opportunity to discover a truly unique corner of the imbibing world. At the same time, I am introducing my friends to whiskies, gins, and other spirits from around the world within a monthly spirits club I have started this year.

Mr. Hayward, I love the Atomic Grog. It's an amazing site. I am very excited to begin sampling the recipes. The Mai Kai is my favorite bar in the world, and whenever I get a chance to visit South Florida, I make it a point to be there at least twice. 

If my liver allows, once Remixed is complete, I intend to move onto the Atomic Grog recipes, Sippin Safari, and Anvil's (Houston bar) list of 100 drinks to try before you die.

As far as going in order, I've mostly abandoned that idea, but I am staying pretty close. I am about to prepare the fourth Fog Cutter recipe, but I did try other drinks in between - and found that it was a wise decision to do so. AND I will be trying the recipes from the appendixes - as a matter of fact - those interest me greatly. SAGE GOMME SOUNDS AWESOME. I am excited to work on those drinks as they provide an opportunity  to try some really new and innovative techniques and flavors.

And yes, I picked up the Stroh 80. Rangi and Papa protect me.

[ This Message was edited by: destro100 2014-02-11 05:13 ]

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 07:05 am   Permalink

Is it okay to like this?:

Drink 28: Viking Fog Cutter

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
Routin 1833 Orgeat
Courvoisier VS Cognac
Warwick Gin
Flor De Cana 4 year - Light Rum
Aalborg Aquavit

Who knew that Aquavit could be the missing ingredient needed to elevate the Fog Cutter template? Strengthened by the gin, the aquavit adds this beautiful savory and earthy spice-note that admirably battles the sweetness of the orange and orgeat. The aquavit didn't really float, but in retrospect, I actually think that its submersion enhanced the drink.

I think I lucked out with great oranges; they added a wonderful tart sweetness. I am once again reminded of how important, often beyond our control, and dynamic fresh ingredients are to drinks.

I'm still not sure how the brandy or orgeat are differentiating themselves from the rest of the drink. For that matter, the uniqueness of the rum is lost as well.

QUESTION - any other tiki-drinks with aquavit (besides Pegleg)? I think it opens new doors.

My personal rating: *** 1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter
Boo Loo

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-11 07:38 am   Permalink

A co-worker of mine raved about Aquavit, so I bought a bottle. Then I found it was too special-purpose, and Grogalizer came to my rescue with the Viking Fog Cutter. I, too, was pleasantly surprised by this cocktail. So to answer your question is yes, definitely, I think it's ok to like the Viking Fog Cutter.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-11 09:40 am   Permalink

I've yet to stock Aquavit since, as pointed out, it's only featured in two of the Bum's drinks. But interestingly it's readily available at Disney World in the Norway pavilion at Epcot. You can get it in the restaurant, bakery and beer cart by the shot:
http://www.partythroughtheparks.com/epcot/2010/3/24/norway-beer-cart.html
If you have kids who insist on waiting an hour to meet the "Frozen" characters, it might come in handy.

Destro, I was encouraged to see that your path to this exercise came via craft cocktails. In many areas, those scenes seem to be mutually exclusive. But I think that's slowly changing. I love drinking craft cocktails but don't really enjoy making them. I suppose others feel the same way about tropical drinks. That being said, I do like to occasionally partake in a classic. I'm assuming you've discovered Dr. Cocktail's "Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails"? I think it influenced Jeff in the way he presents some of the classics in "Potions."

You're right on the money regarding ratings being subjective. I've also noticed that even within the same scale, many people grade differently. I, for example, rarely give anything a 5 or a 1, but I tend to give lots of drinks a 3 or 4. In my mind, something really needs to stand out (for better or worse) to rate those numbers.

Your motivation for taking on this challenge is perfect. I'm sure your palate will thank you. And good luck with the drinks in the appendix.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 10:40 am   Permalink

I look back at my Grog Log ratings and I no longer like some of those drinks I gave an "A". Too sweet!

But the more people cast their vote, the closer we get to a consensus. I often sort the Grogalizer by my rating and by the average rating to figure out what I want to make. I use the average rating to see what other people like that I have never made.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-12 07:16 am   Permalink

Check out the ice-cone:

Drink 29: Navy Grog

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
White grapefruit juice (bottled - 100% grapefruit juice)
Soda water (supermarket brand)
Honey Mix (2:1 honey to water)
Flor De Cana 4 year - Light Rum
El Dorado 12 Year Old Rum (Demerara)
Appleton Extra - Jamaican Rum

Nice Drink. Refreshing, adequately complex, and deliciously tart. The combination of rum works together beautifully to create a strong and flavorful base for the drink, while the grapefruit-lime-honey mix creates a harmonious and enduring flavor throughout the swallow.

I don't have too much to add. It's a very nice drink that captures the quintessential grapefruit-honey tiki style of drink perfectly. At the same time, it doesn't necessarily transcend the template either.

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4 - EXCELLENT - 5 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 10 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog

3 - GOOD - 7 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter

2.5 - ABOVE AVERAGE - 3 drinks and counting

2 - AVERAGE - 3 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter

1.5 - BELOW AVERAGE - 1 drink and hopefully not too many more
Boo Loo

[ This Message was edited by: Destro100 2014-02-12 07:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: destro100 2014-02-12 10:17 ]

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-12 09:32 am   Permalink

What did you use for the dark Jamaican?

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-12 10:18 am   Permalink

Wow, you are good! Thanks for noticing the oversight. I used Appleton Extra. It's not very dark, but it often fits the profile.

The entry has been updated.

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-12 12:51 pm   Permalink

Just thought maybe you overlooked the dark, & that's why you didn't like the drink more. I loves a well-made Navy Grog more than just about any cocktail. Though admittedly I like the Vic's version better.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 08:05 am   Permalink

I like the Light Puerto Rican/Dark Jamaican/Overproof combo for the Navy Grog (Cruzan/Coruba/151 Lemonhart) in my Navy Grogs, works every time

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 10:31 am   Permalink

Drink 30: Von Tiki

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Mount Gay Eclipse Rum
Barenjager
Stroh

First, a few notes regarding ingredients.

I did it. I bought a bottle of Stroh. It smells wondrous. It tastes abysmal. This bottle will last me a long time.

Furthermore, I thought this would be a great opportunity to compare two different honey-based liqueurs: the more-popular Barenjager (from Germany) and the less well-known Krupnik (from Poland).

Barenjager is very sweet and syrupy. The honey takes center-stage. As a matter of fact, I almost-only taste the honey. You do get some alcohol, but it's way in the background and the percentage is 35%. I honestly don't see why I should use this when instead I could just use a rich-honey syrup.

Let me introduce Krupnik. It is not as syrupy. It is a little smoother and the honey is tempered by a combination of gentle spices. There is an aromatic floral-flavor that enhances the honey-base delightfully. It's smoother and it is also stronger at 40%. Unfortunately, I didn't get to use this for the cocktail, but I am interested in trying it next time.

One final note - Krupnik usually runs 5-10 bucks cheaper.

Back to the drink.

I'm not a huge fan of the drink. It is rather one-note. The honey dominates the drink while the Stroh and the Mt. Gay gets lost on the palate. It's not a bad drink - just an unexceptional one. I usually love Mr. Berry's originals, but this one I'm not sure I get.

My personal rating: ** (2) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog

3 - GOOD - 7 drinks and counting

2 - AVERAGE - 4 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki

Boo Loo

[ This Message was edited by: Destro100 2014-02-13 10:53 ]

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 07:36 am   Permalink

All that glitters is gold:

Drink 31: Gold Cup

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Simple Syrup (Homemade =1.5 - 1 ratio)
Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
Appleton Extra 12
Pernod
Pure Almond Extract

Very agreeable drink. In the front you get a lot of sweetness. I'm not completely sure where the sweetness is coming from; it only takes a 1/4 ounce of simple syrup, and even the bum himself raised the quantity of rum to balance out the drink. Maybe it's from the almond extract?

That brings me to my next point - the almond flavor is a bit lost. Instead, you get an intricate balance coming from the combination of Pernod and Maraschino. There is a fantastic bitter almond sensation that is wonderfully unique - and I don't think the almond extract is the cause. While many of the Beachcomber's recipes use Pernod in great ways, I found the combination with the Maraschino in this drink to be very interesting.

I gave it a score of 3 - because while it is "good" the sweetness comes on a little too strong for my taste. Perhaps with a bit more tinkering, I could see elevating this drink to a 3.5

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

3 - GOOD - 8 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup

Boo Loo

Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 08:00 am   Permalink

Not quite peachy enough:

Drink 32: Headhunter

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Papaya Juice (Goya - all I could get)
Peach Nectar (Looza)
Honey mix (1.5 to 1 ratio = honey/water)
El Dorado 12 year
Lemon Hart 151
Flor De Cana - 7 year gold rum

I had high hopes for this drink. I always get excited when I see unusual ingredients listed, and in this case, the addition of papaya and peach sounded intriguing. Yet, after tasting, I come back to the question: Why so little peach (1/2 ounce)? My only guess it that it helps temper a strong papaya flavor that might otherwise overwhelm the drink. Unfortunately, I don't really taste either. The flavors blend together into an unidentifiable fruit punch that evokes a candy-sweet quality to the drink, but not a tropical, nor peachy fruitiness, which would personally be preferred.

I admit. Goya juice products usually disappoint. I may need to try this drink again with fresh papaya juice. I do enjoy the Looza juices and find the peach juice more than adequate. I also question the use of a full ounce of 151. I love 151, but add too much and the distinctiveness of the other rums gets muddled in the mix.

There aren't enough interesting, stand-out high notes to come back to this drink at a later point.

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

3 - GOOD - 9 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter

Boo Loo

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation