FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-27 05:17 am   Permalink

I'm back. I hope. Things got a bit crazy for me.

Interesting...

Drink 69: Singapore Sling (1950s)

Ingredients I used:

Fresh LIme Juice
Luxardo Sangue Morlacco
Benedictine
Pierre Ferrand Ambre Cognac
Broker's London Dry Gin
Soda Water (soda stream)

This is certainly an interesting variation of the Singapore Sling. Usually, I associate the Singapore Sling with a very sweet, cherry-based drink served at chain restaurants and hotel-pool bars. Like the much maligned Mai Tai, it appears that the original template of the drink is something else entirely. This 1950s version of the drink is lightly sweetened, has little cherry flavor, and is quite refreshing.

It's funny, but I think the drink could actually use more cherry flavor. Overall, the drink could use a touch more sweetness. It is refreshing, yet quite bitter which makes it taste less tiki - and more classic-cocktail in style. I found the drink to taste quite strong which is not surprising when you consider that most of the ingredients are alcoholic; very little juice here.

The gin comes forward first, bringing its vegetal and spicy notes right up to the front. The Benedictineís spicy notes follow, and the brandy and cherry liqueur feature last. As the ice dilutes the flavors tend to marry together well, and the Sling begins to taste more complete and well-rounded. The club soda gets mostly lost; perhaps more would be helpful.

I won't be adding this to my regular list of drinks, but I am left curious at how this version compares to future versions listed in the book..

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

4.5 ALMOST PERFECT - 3 drinks so far
Chief Lapu Lapu / Kikuya Lapu / Mai Tai (Trader Vic)

4 - EXCELLENT - 12 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle / 151 Swizzle / Port Light

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 20 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler / Shark's Tooth / Sidewinder's Fang

3 - GOOD - 20 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis / Happy Buddha / Shrunken Skull / Scorpion Bowl/ Singapore Sling

2.5 - ABOVE AVERAGE - 4 drinks and counting
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail / Hawaiian Room

2 - AVERAGE - 8 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner / Pieces of Eight / Polynesian Spell

1.5 - BELOW AVERAGE - 2 drinks and hopefully not too many more
Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

[ This Message was edited by: Destro100 2014-09-29 19:00 ]

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-09-27 12:43 pm   Permalink

Welcome back Destro100!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-27 9:02 pm   Permalink

Glad you are back Destro! I have really enjoyed your spiritous journey so far. Thanks for taking the time to post (and experiment) again.

Cheers and aloha!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-29 7:03 pm   Permalink

Fruity and familiar...

Drink 70: Spindrift

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon Juice
Fresh orange juice
Passionfruit syrup (1-1 Goya frozen pulp - sugar)
Simple syrup (1-1 sugar-water)
Vanilla extract
Kohala Bay Dark Jamaican rum
El Dorado 8 demerera rum
Flor de Cana 4 - white rum

Iím desperately trying to find something original and new to say, but much like this drink, itís all been said before. Donít get me wrong, this is not a bad drink. Itís a fine drink; very pleasurable and very Tiki. At the same time, if youíve had a Lapu Lapu or a Sidewinderís Fang, you basically know what you are in for.

The large amount of lemon and orange juices firmly place this in the citrus punch family of drinks, while the addition of passionfruit further places this drink in that special sifter-large format of tropical tiki style libations. The simple syrup seemed redundant and the vanilla extract was unnoticeable.

The combination of rums was tasty, effective, and very present, yet slightly indistinctive and muddled. Donít use your ďbest" stuff - but always use ďgoodĒ stuff. The alcohol has a nice bite at the end, and it may fool you into thinking itís not as strong as it actually is. I also noticed that the drink maintained a great level of strength over time regardless of dilution. I never felt the drink weakening - good news for booze-hounds.

The drink is large; very large. With almost 12 ounces of liquid (almost 5 ounces of rum) this drink can easily be shared. Overall this is a very solid drink, but once youíve had a few dozen fantastic passionfruit drinks, the Spindrift doesnít find a way to differentiate itself. This is a good drink for guests who you wish to impress with the complexity and deliciousness of a well-made tiki drink. On the other hand, this drink is a lot of effort, and I might as well go with a Chief Lapu Lapu which seems to hit this archetype dead-on.

Side note - The tropical flavors here scream to be paired with asian-style BBQ. Pork specifically. Magical combination.

Second side-note - TRIVIA QUESTION - Anyone know why I paired it with the King?

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle / 151 Swizzle / Port Light

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 21 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler / Shark's Tooth / Sidewinder's Fang / Spindrift

Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis / Happy Buddha / Shrunken Skull / Scorpion Bowl/ Singapore Sling

Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner / Pieces of Eight / Polynesian Spell

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-30 12:58 am   Permalink

Welcome back Destro! Your return has inspired me to go back and mix up one of the 29 drinks from Remixed that I had been neglecting. I'm sure you'll run into the Bali Hai's Bali Bali in due time. I'm not sure what scared me away (perhaps it was the rum/gin/cognac combo, in dubious proportions), but it's actually better than it appears.

I'm fairly fond of the Spindrift. It's hard to beat that rum combination. Anything with dark Jamaican and Demerara grabs my attention. I would actually put it on equal footing with the Chief Lapu Lapu.

Nice to see you've returned from Florida with a bottle of Kohala Bay. Try it in the upcoming Test Pilot and Ancient Mariner.

Could the Spindrift's link to the King be related to the fact that the drink was served at the short-lived Taboo Cove at the Venetian in Vegas?

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-30 03:18 am   Permalink

Bingo - Nice job!

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-30 10:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-09-30 00:58, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Could the Spindrift's link to the King be related to the fact that the drink was served at the short-lived Taboo Cove at the Venetian in Vegas?

I assumed it had to do with "Spinout"

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-02 08:23 am   Permalink

Simpler is better...

Drink 71: Singapore Sling (1930s -)

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon Juice
Barr Hill Gin
Luxardo Sangue Morlacco
Soda water (Soda stream)

This drink was a marked improvement over the identically named concoction that I previously reviewed. That drink was interesting, but at the same time, it reminded me of a ďLong Island Iced TeaĒ without the sweetness. There are very few instances where two different base spirits (gin and brandy) and 2 very different enhancers (Benedictine and Cherry liqueur) should be brought together. Simply stated - it wasnt terrible, nor did it work for me; this version was better.

It is better in it its simplicity. It follows a very safe and proven cocktail template of strong, sweet, bitter/sour, and weak (water). That is why it works. The ingredients manage to individually shine without constantly battling each other. Additionally, the cherry is not lost but rather, easily identifiable; as it should be. The proportions seemed to be balanced fairly well.

This is one of those drinks where a careful selection of ingredients is nearly essential. I went with Barr Hill Gin for its unique inclusion of honey. It has a subtle floral sweetness but never veers too far from its juniper roots. Itís a great product that is usually slightly above my budget for a gin, but I couldnít resist picking up the 375 ml. during my last visit to Vermont.

The gin and cherry battle and meet in the middle - there is a nice tart sweetness that begins the taste and a woodsy herbaceous-ness to finish.

I recently ran out of Cheery Herring, and Iím not sure when Iíll have the inclination to replace it. In the meantime, I do love the Luxardo Sangue Morlacco liqueur. It has a deep cherry flavor without being overly sweet. Donít get me wrong, itís a liqueur, so it is sweet, but not compared to one of the cheaper brands: Dekyuper, Lloyds, etc.

Overall, this drink is refreshing without being overly interesting. The ingredients could be doubled (or increased by 50%) as I found that there wasnít enough liquid to make this a true tall-drink. I needed more. Thatís a good thing!

Side note - Goes nicely with mixed nuts (I had some cashews and pistachios)

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 22 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler / Shark's Tooth / Sidewinder's Fang / Spindrift / Singapore Sling (1930s)

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation