[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Couple of Canadians lost in SoCal
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Couple of Canadians lost in SoCal
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 2:06 pm   Permalink

Cheers all

So My wife and I are planning a quick trip at the end of this month. Tentative plan is to fly into San Diego on Nov 23rd, spend three nights there then rent a car and drive up to Long Beach or Sunset Beach, spend three nights there. Hop over to Catalina for the last three nights. And fly home from SNA on Dec 2nd.

I just came up with the San Diego part this morning... haven't checked flights or ran it past my wife yet..
Basically all we have done so far is book the time off work. But we should have our flights booked in the next few days....

I have some questions...
Is three nights on Catalina too long?

On my Tiki list so far:
San Diego - Bali Hai and hopefully get a room at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn for our stay.
LA area - Dons, Tiki Ti and Trader Sam's and more Dons.

With only three nights in the LA area, what other Tiki places are "must see"? Im interested in decor and history first, drink quality & food second.

Thanks for any insight!
Darren

Also If anyone wants to join us for cocktails, that would be nifty

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 2:38 pm   Permalink

I spent my honeymoon Catalina Island and I love that place. I like the Marlin club, it's nautical not tiki but the place has history. I think two nights on Catalina is enough time.

When doing the Tiki Ti you may want to consider Trader Vic's, downtown Los Angeles. I like the place, nice decor, good food and the 44 Mai Tai is tasty.

I would think about staying in El Segundo at the Embassy suites or Double Tree on your last night so you can go to the Purple Orchid. The owners, Dave and Rebecca are very nice people. It is within minutes of LAX if you are leaving from there otherwise a two or four hour drive back to San Diego depending on traffic.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-06 2:44 pm   Permalink

Our traffic is as notoriously bad as everyone says it is. It does take a while to get anywhere.
1 night is plenty in Catalina unless you plan on scuba diving, snorkeling or exploring the inner part of the island. Avalon is a very, very small town.
Technically Sunset Beach no longer exists. It was annexed by Huntington Beach last year, much to the residents dismay. Of course, everyone still calls it Sunset Beach.
Seal Beach is in between Long Beach and Huntington Beach and has more of a classic beach town feel. You might want to look into staying there.
You should also visit the Tonga Hut, Trader Vic's and the Purple Orchid in addition to the other bars you mentioned. A trip to Oceanic Arts in Whittier is a must for any tiki fan.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-06 14:06, Dagg wrote:
With only three nights in the LA area, what other Tiki places are "must see"? Im interested in decor and history first, drink quality & food second.

Thanks for any insight!
Darren

Also If anyone wants to join us for cocktails, that would be nifty

-How about the
Tonga Hut?
-If you can get to Don's on Monday, you may wish to announce it here to let the Tiki Ohana know your presence...
Tiki Central- TC night, Mondays at Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach Ca.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 2:46 pm   Permalink

Confirm Tiki Tis will be open - on their website.

There is also Tiki House in PAcfic Beac / San diego area - owner is cool Dave.
Only beer and wine.

However it may close -
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2013/oct/25/blurt-rent-hike-terminates-tiki-house/

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 2:51 pm   Permalink

Awesome thanks so much for the replies!

As for the traffic, that's my main reason for being reluctant to rent a car. But funny thing.... Our local news reported this morning that Vancouver just surpassed LA for worst traffic in North America... Ill try and find a link.

I forgot about OA in Whittier. Car is a must i suppose.

Edit to add linky
http://www.financialpost.com/markets/news/TomTom+Traffic+Index+Shows+Worst+Best+Cities+Traffic+Canada+Around+World/9131958/story.html

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2013-11-06 14:55 ]

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-06 14:44, tikilongbeach wrote:
Seal Beach is in between Long Beach and Huntington Beach and has more of a classic beach town feel. You might want to look into staying there

Ill definitely look into Seal Beach, but the reason I was leaning towards Long beach is that IF we end not renting a car, it looks like there is a tram of some sort that leaves LB going into downtown LA. Also the boat to Catalina leaves from there? and its not TOO far from Dons. Im guessing $20 cab ride?

We will most likely get a car though so.....

Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 3:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-06 14:38, TikiVato wrote:
I spent my honeymoon Catalina Island and I love that place. I like the Marlin club, it's nautical not tiki but the place has history. I think two nights on Catalina is enough time.

Googled the Marlin Club, looks cool! Love nautical.

Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2013-11-06 15:52 ]

TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 4:03 pm   Permalink

Timing is everything. I just received an email from Livingsocial.com They are advertising a special to Catalina Island includes :
A Two-Night Stay for Two, Sunday through Wednesday Arrivals ($299) or Fridays and Saturdays ($399)
Ferry Transportation via Catalina Express
Two Passes to Catalina Museum
Two Passes to Wrigley Memorial & Botanic Garden
I can email this special to you, pm me.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 4:07 pm   Permalink

Thank you sir. PM sent

TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 4:22 pm   Permalink

I sent you two specials from livingsocial. Hope this works for you.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiVato 2013-11-06 16:23 ]

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-06 4:52 pm   Permalink

While our traffic is bad here, public transportation is even slower. Cabs are very expensive, but cheaper than a DUI. For sightseeing you definitely want a car.
The Metro Blue Line that takes you from Long Beach to downtown LA will go through some of the poorest neighborhoods of LA. Just a heads up if you decide to take it, its not the scenic route. When I have taken the rail from Long Beach to downtown LA it took 2.5 hours. Even with horrible traffic the longest its ever taken me to drive to downtown LA from Long Beach is 2 hours.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 6:02 pm   Permalink

Lori is right, like the song goes "No one walks in L.A."
you can't get anywhere with out a car here & everything is spread way out.

Welcome to SoCal Buddy!
yea I know I'm not your friend, buddy! I'm not your buddy, guy! He's not your guy, friend! I'm not your friend, buddy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uzJVkeaUI

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-11-06 18:04 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-06 18:02, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Lori is right, like the song goes "No one walks in L.A."
you can't get anywhere with out a car here & everything is spread way out.

Welcome to SoCal Buddy!
yea I know I'm not your friend, buddy! I'm not your buddy, guy! He's not your guy, friend! I'm not your friend, buddy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uzJVkeaUI

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-11-06 18:04 ]

That's funny shit eh.

http://screen.yahoo.com/californians-drama-off-405-000000032.html

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-06 7:04 pm   Permalink

You can walk from Bali Hai to Humphrey's Half Moon Inn and we walked all over that area.
Half Moon Inn had a breakfast deal that was good, ask about it.
Plus Trader Morts liquor store is kinda close, Behind Trader Morts is a good Mexican restaurant.
Get one of their fresh Margaritas there, Or do what I did and get four.
Love Shelter Island!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation