FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Auction - Items from the Kahiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Auction - Items from the Kahiki
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-10 8:47 pm   Permalink

Here is your chance to bid on and perhaps own some items from the former Kahiki restaurant, located in Columbus Ohio

The top item is the 8 foot tall monkey fountain that greeted you in the lobby. Several tiki carvings from the restaurant - and lots of unused tiki mugs.

Auction happens, Tuesday, Nov 19. The bad news is that there is no shipping - you will have to pick the items up next Wednesday.

http://www.columbusonlineauctions.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?coa36/category/ALL

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-11 07:58 am   Permalink

I would like to say thank you, but I can not.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 08:38 am   Permalink

Wow - the frozen food plant is re-decorating? "George" the monkey fountain? Maybe someone should fill them in that this piece is an (however failed) attempt at a Maori Tiki...

And where was that "Natical" room in the Kahiki? I don't remember seeing it, must have missed it - that is a boatload of ship models! (excuse the pun)

The Tikis are not the most impressive, even if "This is hand carved, by a skilled Polynesian Tikki carver, perhaps of a banana trunk" The Ku would be the best one - after sanding. As it is, THIS one will forever stand tall in my virtual "Gallery of regrettable paint jobs":

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28094&forum=1

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-11 08:44 am   Permalink

I for the life of me can can't remember lots of the items in this sale.
Not the best of Kahiki if it is Kahiki.

But they will all sell high, watch and see.
especially now.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 09:23 am   Permalink

i would bid, but i can't compete with some of those high rollers - they'll drive those tikis right out of my price range.

and now with all those kahiki headhunter mugs flooding the market after this auction, the kahiki mugs will be worth less than tiki leilani mugs !!

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-11-11 09:24 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 11:14 am   Permalink

The clown paint.. It hurts my eyes...

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-11 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-11 09:23, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
i would bid, but i can't compete with some of those high rollers - they'll drive those tikis right out of my price range.

and now with all those kahiki headhunter mugs flooding the market after this auction, the kahiki mugs will be worth less than tiki leilani mugs !!

The mugs at the end of the Kahiki were really bad.
They were making and selling them really fast, So the old ones may hold some value as
they are made better.
And at the Tropical bistro auction lots of the stuff there was made by Soung and was
never in the Kahiki, But it all sold really high.
Could not bring myself to go to that auction as I knew it would be a cluster F#$k.
Made the mistake of telling a few people the few Kahiki items that I knew were there
and was going to have a person bid on for me, lets just say don't try that again.

Posting the auction on TC just puts these items out of the reach of most of the local real tiki nutz
in town.

But then there really is not the best stuff up for sale.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-12 04:04 am   Permalink

I would love to have that colorful Ku carving, only because i have so many pictures of me standing in front of it with various friends and ex girlfriends from over the years it would make a great addition to the tiki room, so skipper, if you were wondering what to get me for christmas, this would be a good place to start !!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-12 10:49 am   Permalink

Will keep that in mind David.
There was one like that behind the bar, I would want that one but
my collecting days are over for the most part, I gots way tooo much.

And I have had no less than four people tell me of this sale, it was in the
paper here.
So this is going to be the cluster F$&k of the century!
I can't wait!
Too bad it will not be a live and in person auction, I think the fact that
you won't be able to see the goof who spends waaayy to much for a roll of
Charmin that was once used in the Kahiki toilets will drive prices up.
Stat tuned this is going to be good.

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-12 1:53 pm   Permalink

That "nautical light" that they said has been reconditioned is almost certainly a light from Pottery Barn. I know, because I have the floor model of the same light. It's a nautical design, but was never on a ship. Still, you can't expect the auctioneers to know everything.

Can't wait to see the glut of "rare Kahiki mugs" go on ebay for $40 each!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-15 7:35 pm   Permalink

Have had sooo many people tell me of this sale, The Gatto is outo the bago.

If there are any in town or out of town buyers of Kahiki I
will be selling some of my Kahiki items on Sunday.(Items I got at the first, second Kahiki sale)
Some lights, Tables, COOL carving, box of masks, ect...
I do not want to ship this stuff so will sell it to folks here that will
not be able to get Kahiki items from the sale.
Going to be some royalty at this sale and all are welcome.
Love this stuff but I need the money plus am an orphan and have NO Ohana.
Got some good stuff here so PM me if interested.
Will be at Tais Asian Bistro with my good friend Soung on Sunday the 17th
after the preview of items at the sale, so like 2:00ish.
This is where Tais is....
Good luck tiki nutz!!!

http://www.taisasianbistro.com/?page=sushi

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-15 7:42 pm   Permalink

What can I get for $2.50?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-16 02:44 am   Permalink

I feel bad when I see things like this: Except for one or two exceptions, mostly overpriced left overs from the 80s and 90s - but people will pay big bucks for it because the real vintage Tiki Restaurant stuff is so rare now, you just don't find it anymore. Yet people want it SO BAD, they delude themselves into paying for 2nd rate, Tiki devolution period stuff as a big deal. The same happened with the Trader Vic's warehouse sale couple of years ago- but at least there were some real finds among the Poly-Asian carvings, you just had to have an eye for it. I am not being snobby, I am just speaking from a perspective of a collector who started in the early 90s, it's how it is. And as someone who espouses objects of the art form at its peak as the real examples why Tiki was great.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-16 05:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-15 19:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
What can I get for $2.50?

Rice.

And Sven I only have room for so much stuff so I have a need to get
rid of some things.
At the time of these sales I was thinking of starting a tiki bar restaurant
aren't we all, but I had just sold my restaurant and even had a place picked out.
I don't think I can do it at this time.
Some of the stuff I got low, but lots of it I paid too much for really.
The good stuff is not cheap.

One of the Kahiki sales, the best one, I had to beg people to go and buy stuff it was
not till they went to the place and said wow!
Side note some of those people I told of this sale who got lots of Kahiki stuff
would not piss on me if I was on fire, no good deed they say.

Some use that "give a break to the tiki Ohana" and I have met some people who I call friend
in tiki world but for the most part don't feel the love.
So that only leaves money as a reason to sell the stuff I love.
I'm not broke so this is not a hard luck fire sale.

PS they only let you take two MAYBE three tiki mugs to the nursing home.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-16 05:00 am   Permalink

Double post.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-11-16 05:02 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation