FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki If you could travel back in time...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
If you could travel back in time...
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-14 05:51 am   Permalink

Since the last time I was there, I was 12 years old....let's say go back and re-visit the tahitian terrace in disneyland!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-14 06:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-12 20:14, TikiTacky wrote:
...the other day I asked about the best way to try and repair a hairline crack in a tiki mug. There's been no consensus in the past, and the only response I got is from someone who said he doesn't even bother. I was surprised there wasn't more interest. Is there really no one out there who's ever tried to figure out the best way to handle a cracked mug short of giving up on it?

I'm not subscribed to all of the sub-topics on Tiki Central, so I probably missed that post. I did a very successful repair 6 months ago when I dropped a mug during a move to a new home, would like to share my notes with you. Will PM you later today when I get more time.

Facebook is a scary time-killer for me, and I don't have enough free time, so I tend to avoid it although I do have a pretty fleshed-out profile under my real name. I will have to give the tiki forums there a try sometime, but somehow I suspect it's just not as efficient as TC and offers too many side-distractions and crap.

Great photo with the Husky in a fez, by the way! Very nicely done with the Trader Vic's glass, etc.!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-14 08:09 am   Permalink

Original Don's!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-11-14 08:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-14 06:12, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-11-12 20:14, TikiTacky wrote:
...the other day I asked about the best way to try and repair a hairline crack in a tiki mug. There's been no consensus in the past, and the only response I got is from someone who said he doesn't even bother. I was surprised there wasn't more interest. Is there really no one out there who's ever tried to figure out the best way to handle a cracked mug short of giving up on it?

I'm not subscribed to all of the sub-topics on Tiki Central, so I probably missed that post. I did a very successful repair 6 months ago when I dropped a mug during a move to a new home, would like to share my notes with you. Will PM you later today when I get more time.

Better yet, post your notes in the
Tiki Mug Repair thread!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 4:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-11 19:40, TikiTacky wrote:
If you could travel back in time and visit the original Don The Beachcomber or Trader Vic's, which would you choose and why?

Original Don's. Convince him that the amazing variety of tequilas from Mexico would lend well to creating a full menu of potent, exciting cocktails. And the cuisine---tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and so on---incredibly exotic yet exciting to American tastes. Open in SoCal and make a big new restaurant in Texas. Expand outward from the American Southwest. By the time Vic Bergeron gets wind of it he'll double down on his Senor Pico's in order to compete.

When we get back we'll log on to tacocentral.com to read about the history of Don the Desertdrifter and Senor Vic, and also find arguments about how "palm trees (in and of themselves) are not taco, but can lend to the experience if done right." Conventions will be held to save the out-of-fashion Chi-Chi's chain before the coming of the great Taco Revival. And everyone will be comparing the size of their sombrero collections. Ole!

Don't think it's possible? See
Casa Bonita, as recently pointed out by lucas vigor.

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 5:57 pm   Permalink

Wow, I practically fell off my chair laughing! Well done, senor!

As for Casa Bonita, I was in Denver on business about 5 years ago and made the drive to Casa Bonita. It's truly an amazing place, a must-see if you're in Denver. The food was not bad, so-so, kinda what you'd expect from a place like this. But the atmosphere was incredible. I took a lot of photos.

Thanks for the laugh, the link, and the trip down memory lane!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 6:12 pm   Permalink

I would go back in time to being a kid at Disneyland...it was so awesome and all the pretend was real...the submarine, the jungle ride, the cars, the Tiki Tiki room, the GE theater and the promise of hoover craft in the future (still waiting for that). JMHO

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 7:26 pm   Permalink

It would be cool to go back to Disneyland at a time when all the rides were not advertisements for Disney movies and you could get on the more popular rides without waiting 2 or more hours in line.

But before I wold do that, I would go back to P.O.P. during its heyday. The Mytery Tiki Island, Flying Dutchman, Diving Bells, Flight to Mars and one of the best Fun Houses ever!

The again, I might decide to go back to post war 52nd street NYC to hear Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday and all of those other brilliant jazz musicians that played there, or even to Hermosa Beach when the Lighthouse hosted many of the same players.

I guess it depends on how many times I got to go back. If it was only once, it would be a hard choice. I doubt Disneyland would make the cut.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 10:31 pm   Permalink

PiPhiRho in the 1960s it was first "Rocket to the Moon" then "Flight to the Moon" before heading to Mars (1975)
and we had those old Ticket books (E-Ticket Please) & Disneyland still had long lines, but I do miss
Monsanto's "Adventure Thru Inner Space" and the "Submarine Voyage, 20,000 Leagues" rides
As a young lad in 1966 my parents did drag me to see Louis Armstrong play at Disneyland.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-11-20 22:32 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 11:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 19:26, PiPhiRho wrote:
The again, I might decide to go back to post war 52nd street NYC to hear Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday and all of those other brilliant jazz musicians that played there, or even to Hermosa Beach when the Lighthouse hosted many of the same players.

Strange thing about the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach was that it has no minimum age limit for admittance and I went there as a young'un in the 1970's with a group of people and saw Yusef Lateef. At the time I did not appreciate this but I would like to go back in time to see it because I would appreciate it now. But what would happen if I saw my young self and hollered at it for not appreciating the moment? All these paradoxes make my head spin.

[ This Message was edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2013-11-20 23:40 ]

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-21 05:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 22:31, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
...I do miss Monsanto's "Adventure Thru Inner Space" and...

ATP, here is one instance where a classic experience has been fully re-created in a computer-generated ride-through simulation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA3uFkF1A9o

This true to how I remember the ride and is accompanied by the original soundtrack with the great Paul Frees narrating. It's awesome! It would be great if walk-through animations of this sort were produced for some of the lost tiki palaces.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 05:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-21 05:17, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-11-20 22:31, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
...I do miss Monsanto's "Adventure Thru Inner Space" and...

ATP, here is one instance where a classic experience has been fully re-created in a computer-generated ride-through simulation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA3uFkF1A9o

This true to how I remember the ride and is accompanied by the original soundtrack with the great Paul Frees narrating. It's awesome! It would be great if walk-through animations of this sort were produced for some of the lost tiki palaces.

Oh yeah! I bought the DVD of this when it first came out! The guy really did his research!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 05:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]

Big plus 1000000000 for that! The Samoa club on 52nd street!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

Oxybeles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-21 07:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 19:26, PiPhiRho wrote:
But before I wold do that, I would go back to P.O.P. during its heyday. The Mytery Tiki Island, Flying Dutchman, Diving Bells, Flight to Mars and one of the best Fun Houses ever!

Pacific Ocean Park - What a wonderful amusement park in Santa Monica....

Don't forget the Sea Serpent Roller Coaster and the Ocean Skyway - All loved riding in a bubble!

http://theimaginaryworld.com/POP.html

View Profile of Oxybeles Send a personal message to Oxybeles      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 08:29 am   Permalink

I'm with the Disneylanders. 1957, my first trip at 7 yrs. old. Doesn't get much better. Also a Jimi Hendrix concert in a ex-bowling alley on Speedway Bl. in Tucson, 1967 or thereabouts.

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation