FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars vintage home tiki bars - how they rolled back in the day.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
vintage home tiki bars - how they rolled back in the day.
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-06-18 10:52 am   Permalink

Wow, such a cool space and can only imagine what elements were already removed and the parties and good times they had down there.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SufferinSimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-20 8:57 pm   Permalink

Love the pics, thanks Tipsy!

View Profile of SufferinSimon Send a personal message to SufferinSimon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-12 12:43 pm   Permalink

Just had to say what a great thread, really enjoy seeing those older spaces.

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polly_Nesia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-26 12:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks for starting this thread. Love the rooms from the past and you're probably right that they will be demolished. Some great finds though. I like that last bar set up with the fish in the center panel area. Nice effect they created of an aquarium. Fun stuff. Making me miss my parent old rattan breezeway furniture. Blue and green floral cushions as I remember. Mom said they sold it years ago. I asked when I started looking through this home bar thread. Love seeing what everyone is doing and how the bars are coming along. I'm not a bar person but love the vibe.

View Profile of Polly_Nesia Send a personal message to Polly_Nesia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-10 4:41 pm   Permalink

Best new thread that I've seen in years. We don't have basements around where I live. It's really cool to see these vintage basement bars.
Keep it going!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-12 07:15 am   Permalink

Indeed, a spectacular thread. If you see these places that you have come across in just a few years, and others here on TC (like the ALIBI owner's home bar), it is amazing how many must have existed that we have never, and will never, get to see - and how many there still are, though their numbers must be dwindling, as the generation that built them dies out.

I hope you shot these on high enough resolution? I would maybe wanna use one or two for publication, if you let me, Dave? There just aren't that many photos of these places - mostly snapshots where the damn people block all the cool decor

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-01-12 11:48 am   Permalink

I agree with everyone before me who said these are amazing. I had no idea such places existed. Heck, I live in Texas, where the predominant clay and/or limestone soil makes basements of any sort a rarity. I never knew this whole home-entertainment-basement-tiki-bar culture existed. I'll probably never get to see one of these in person, but I'll happily live vicariously through your shared photos!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 11:27 am   Permalink

Some great photos of the vintage basement bars in situ. Here is an article that belongs here on one man's basement garden of Tiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 11:52 am   Permalink

My mom and dad at our backyard "tiki" bar, sometime in the late 1960's:

View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 11:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-08 11:52, The Below Decks wrote:
My mom and dad at our backyard "tiki" bar, sometime in the late 1960's:

Very Cool....A Great Pic. Your Tiki Foundation. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 10:18 pm   Permalink

Tipsy, we're so glad you document this stuff...

We have the hanging tea light bamboo lights from that last sale and the same ceiling fixtures from the one above. It's so great to see how they were in their original environs. Love those dioramas and fishnet on the walls...

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 8:28 pm   Permalink

Wait, somehow missed the last few posts here when replying to Tipsy's earlier posts...

DC, great find -- did those pics come with an article? We always look out for old articles on home bar how-tos... there's surprisingly few of them, almost none for tiki, although we've found a few small interesting guides that we will be posting soon...

The Below Decks: great shot, very cool! Some family friends I (Mike) grew up with had those same chairs in the kitchen of their cool west side ranch home, nice memories growing up... we've found a matching wrought iron wall clock... and I think I've got your Dad's tie now!

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 8:28 pm   Permalink

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation