FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Forbidden Maya Tai, San Diego
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Forbidden Maya Tai, San Diego
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-08 12:22 pm   Permalink

Loving the portholes! Great space.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-08 1:10 pm   Permalink

Everything's looking good, can't wait till I get to the decorating part.

Your lights look much better, all the mugs are just glowing now.

I need to order another string of those lights, I want to replace some florescent lights under our cabinets in the house. One string 16' will do the main center part and the top. They are very cheap to run for half the electricity of one of the two bulbs we use now I can do the whole thing, and it can be dimmed or change colors all on a little 12v transformer.

Looking good !

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-01-08 13:10 ]

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-09 3:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks SoCal, they look good- I just now want to make larger ones!

dtel, the lights are great- they're probably cheaper online but the Costco set was quick and easy- I would just like for it to have come with more "jumpers" so I didn't need a continuous run. Okay, I could have bought another set to get them, but that was a little too pricey.

Sorry to post one photo at a time, but here's a new sign I routed. I copied down then routed the "Beachcomber's Creed" (from Don's). It's one of my favorite "life lessons":

Right now it's sitting on top of the bar but will hang in the air soon....

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-09 4:45 pm   Permalink

Looks good well done, I see why you like it.

The relaxed style is perfect, if it were all perfectly lined up and neat it just wouldn't look right.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-09 8:28 pm   Permalink

Looking good! I *love* the portholes and the inclusion of the creed.
(And the concept of naming drinks after dogs!)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-16 9:59 pm   Permalink

Trying to get all of the construction done so we can start having guests drink at the Maya Tai Lounge. Since we only have five seats at the bar, started working on some belly bars (bar height cocktail tables). I took two 4x4s and cut them to 40" tall, then drew, routed, & torched all four sides:

Then stained it:

Next up will be adding the table tops and outrigger feet (to keep it upright).

Finished working on the small shelf to hold tiki bowls. I originally planned to build my own bar stools, then found a bunch of cool ones on craigslist. I held onto a frame of legs I built for a sample stool- I liked the simple design (w/ angled front of legs) then added cross supports. The shelves are made of recycled pallet wood rescued from my office park. I torched all the wood after shooting it all together. One of Grog's bowl lives on the top floor:

I also added a small hanging piece of bamboo to hold pendants. These hang above the bowl shelf opposite the bar. I used chain to drop the bamboo down from an existing shelf, then looped the pendants onto it.

Not an exciting photo, but here are a few pendants hanging. Next up hanging up a few small spotlights to highlight some art, a few more frames to hang....

Thanks for looking.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-16 11:34 pm   Permalink

looking good, I have got to learn how to use a router for things like that.

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-19 6:21 pm   Permalink

dtel, I'm still learning. Practice, practice. Monkeyman has some good advice here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43357&forum=17&start=15&29

The more times I use it, the better the work becomes. Watching everyone else's work develop helps, too.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-20 07:47 am   Permalink

Ano- looking good bruddah
Next time we are down there I gota make a reservation

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-20 2:00 pm   Permalink

Yeah the router work is great! I like how you incorporated some of your mug designs into your router work. Very cool!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 1:25 pm   Permalink

Jon, sounds good. Should be (almost) finished by then... I hope.

Treg, thanks for noticing! The "Rum DMC" is an unnamed mascot on the belly bar table leg- though, admittedly, the hat is missing. If I ever cast those will have to name a drink for him. So many options for ingredients....

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2014-01-21 13:26 ]

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-24 10:00 am   Permalink

Slowly moving forward... one more sign routed:

(It reads: "Rum makes a fine hot drink, a fine cold drink, and is not so bad from the neck of a bottle." - Fortune Magazine, 1933. I found this quote from a book I highly recommend- fun to read w/ lots of interesting history (& I'm under 50 pages in):

The rum may explain my lack of bar building progress.....

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 6:23 pm   Permalink

Added some more lighting- used small (& cheap) LED spotlights from Ikea and rigged them up in the air. First one hits the hangings behind the bar...

I added two separate ones to add a wash on the art on the opposite side of the room.

Next steps: rug for the floor for this area, netting for the garage door, more art- and finding where one of the horns from Doug Horne's/ Jason's Diablo Mask- it was hanging elsewhere in the house for a while, not sure if it was an earthquake but it seems to have run away....

I found the rattan set on craigslist a while ago for cheap, want to replace the cushions with a more interesting print...

Thanks for lookin'.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:31 pm   Permalink

Awesome........

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-30 1:41 pm   Permalink

I needed some more shelving for drinking glasses and more display- I had already Ikea hacked this shelf (using two metal shelves to make one with more shelves) a while back (it was once a tiki mug shelf), but it was too shiny to use in the bar:

I took a can of black spray paint and went to town, lightly spraying to age it a bit (admittedly, looks better in person- and in the dark bar):

Also took some stencils and added words to some wood slats I had pulled off of pallets, used as a wall covering. I wanted to make it look like part of a rum crate. I wrote the destination ("Forbidden Maya Tai") and "Rum" in a few places:

Maya's been pressuring me to get going on this bar (she wants to show it to a few friends Friday night, a good sign (though I told her it wasn't ready for drinkin' yet), so had to finish the belly bars.

First I made the bases: I cut 2x6s into 4 equal pieces, then made two layers so they'd wrap around the 4x4 posts, sandwiching them four times. Fairly simple. I burned, stained them, let them dry, then popped the posts in and shot them all together. Pretty sturdy.

I had cut out the table tops a few days ago w/ a jigsaw. The first is a plain circle, the second I did my own rendition of the Big Island (of Hawaii). I'm not a cartographer, so it's not quite exact. I sanded the edges, burned & stained them. I then got them centered on the posts and shot them in.

If only it was time for a drink, have to go to work...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation