[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Displaying Mugs
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Displaying Mugs
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 7:35 pm   Permalink

So, my mugs are STILL in boxes, I've been in the saucer house a month and a half now, and I still am pondering the perfect way to display them. I would love to see pics of everyone's tiki mug displays to see if I can pilfer anyone's ideas... plus, I think it would just be a cool thread to see pics of everyone's collection!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 10:32 am   Permalink

Jane,
First I want to say I was disappointed when you posted you weren't coming to the Hukilau. I'll meet you one of these days. Second, "The Saucer House?", did you move? Are there pictures? As far as displaying mugs the narrow shelf set high on the wall has always worked well for me. It is out of the way, easy to install and pretty cheap.

Here is another easy shop project, relatively inexpensive and easy to make. I've seen your work; costumes, painting and other creative projects. If you've never worked in wood, I think you can handle it easily. Bookcases and shelving are in demand, do you ever notice thrift stores never really sell shelving units? They are always used to display flea market bric a brac. The ones you find for sale tend to be expensive

Here are some othe shelves I made. Home Depot (In Canada is it "Igloo Depot"?) has melamine stock in wood look or white. It is pre drilled for small pegs so all the shelves are adjustable. These shelves took me one day to do, I rented a saw, it was pretty easy.

I'm curious to see how others display their mugs.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 12:27 pm   Permalink

1. Yes, we moved - the 'Saucer House' is actually our nickname for our new condo, and it has one round curved wall of floor to ceiling windows in the living/dining/kitchen, hence it kinda looks like you are looking out from a flying saucer over the city 29 floors up.

2. I like the long lean shelf up high - that's where I'm leaning to right now - above the kitchen cabinets. Very cool.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 12:56 pm   Permalink

Al,
Very cool pad...
I dig the walls and ceiling.

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 4:30 pm   Permalink

From Tiki King's 821 club...

The Bamboo cross rails provide some earthquake protection. The mugs here are two and three deep. in the next version, I think I will only go one deep to make for easier veiwing

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki King on 2003-07-15 16:33 ]

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-20 5:58 pm   Permalink

I just got done revamping our Display Shelves in the Dining Room. My Bobble Head and Pez collection have been sent to the Computer Room, to free up room for my newest mugs.

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo on 2003-07-20 17:59 ]

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-20 11:24 pm   Permalink

This is all great to see... because of the saucer house's lack of wall space, there is really limited things for me to do. This evening I just finished taking the mugs out of boxes and putting them in the kitchen cupboards for now... sigh!
The old place had built in shelving so it was no problem. This place is all steel and glass - a great look for our mod saarinen furniture, but more difficult for the tiki mugs.

I took the Walt Disney World Polynesian Village ones out to the balcony and put candles in them... made a nice little 'shrine' out there. That's really the best thing to do with those mugs. Too heavy to drink out of, and not really a 'mug' anyway. But they look fab all lit up from inside.

I am thinking of getting a cement garden moai from Loblaws for the balcony too - saw them the other day as we were pulling out of the parking lot so I couldn't get a price... this info is probably only useful for Ontarians anyway... don't even know if there are Loblaws stores outside Ontario - however, the inclusion of Moai in the regular grocery store garden statuary department shows that buyers think the Canadina general public is ready to go tiki... so that can only be a good thing!

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-21 9:42 pm   Permalink

Try a thick fishing line for Earthquake proofing. You can run it across the bottom and mid section and still see your mugs. I always suggest it when "muggers" buy our shelves for mug displays.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-21 11:51 pm   Permalink

Or better yet just move off the faultline!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Reever
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-22 11:20 am   Permalink

HEY FISH! Hold the phone!

Saucer house? I missed out on this. Got pics? The name "saucer house" alone is conjuring up great mid-century images in my head, but I wanna see the real deal!

And Al, I love you guy's bar. You've actually caused me to covet. Is that in a basement, or do you guys have a room dedicated to it?

View Profile of Reever Send a personal message to Reever  Goto the website of Reever     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 3:46 pm   Permalink

I shop the flea markets and tat stores for small wicker and bamboo curios and shelves. My apartment is spacious, but wall space is highly limited. Using small Tiki compilations here and there allows me to display all my mugs and add visual interest to many areas of my home. Keep the Tiki in sight no matter which room I happen to visit (including my weight room!)

View Profile of scigirl Send a personal message to scigirl  Goto the website of scigirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 8:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-22 15:46, scigirl wrote:
I shop the flea markets and tat stores for small wicker and bamboo curios and shelves...

I like to use the small shelves too, here are a few pictures

[ This Message was edited by: kctiki on 2003-08-07 20:20 ]

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 8:22 pm   Permalink

I am so glad someone asked this question, I have been wondering the same thing, I am remodeling my house (will it ever get finished?) so all of my mugs are also in the kitchen cupboards just waiting for some shelving ideas.

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 12:59 pm   Permalink

Hey KCtiki,
That's one ugly coconut head you have on top of your shelf. Only a mother could love.
No offence.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 4:00 pm   Permalink

Poor ol' Kaw-Liga, he never got a kiss

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation