Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food TCs own 'Potions of The Caribbean'
TCs own 'Potions of The Caribbean'
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-26 1:39 pm   Permalink

As many of you will know Mr Beachbum Berry will soon be releasing a new book, Potions of the Carribean.

Mr Beachbum's books are an entertaining read & have good recipes - the focus of this book is caribbean drinks & the people behind them. I look forward to it, I already enjoy a few 'non tiki' carribean drinks as part of my regular menu.

Like most of you my purchase is assured, although I do wonder if the population of TC can compile a list that will match Mr Beachbum Berrys?

Drinks so far:

Bajan Swizzle
Bahama Mama
Bumbo
Cuba Libre
Daiquiris & variations
Dark n Stormy
Gombay Smash
Grog
Hemmingway Daiquiri
Jaspers Jamaican
Jaspers Punch
Jaspers Witch Doctor
Mojito
Myrtle Bank Punch
Planters Punches & variations
Rum Runner
Ti Punch
Painkiller
Queenspark Swizzle
Wray & Ting

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-12-05 15:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-12-05 15:02 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-11-26 1:40 pm   Permalink

My submission was easy peasy for me as its possibly my fave:

Hemmingway Diaquiri

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-11-27 12:31 pm   Permalink

No-one else can name a caribbean drink? Wow, Im shocked!

Here's another: Queenspark Swizzle

Aka 'the most delightful form of anesthesia given out today' (per Trader Vic).

Anyone else know one?

stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-27 1:10 pm   Permalink

My favorite is also the Hemingway daiquiri. Another favorite boat drink of mine is the Rum Runner.

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-30 4:09 pm   Permalink

'Ti Punch!
Painkiller
Dark 'N Stormy
Pina Colada
Mojito
Gombay Smash
Rumrunner
Bahama Mama
Cuba Libre
Daiquiris Daiquiris Daiquiris
Jasper's Jamaican
Jasper's Punch
Jasper's Witch Doctor
J Wray and Ting
Stranger's Club Gin Fizz
Assorted Planter style Rum Punches

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-30 6:02 pm   Permalink

Queen's Park Swizzle.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-01 1:00 pm   Permalink

Another drink recommended by Trader Vic, the Myrtle Bank Punch

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-03 3:33 pm   Permalink

Don't forget JB & Ting

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-12-04 12:48 pm   Permalink

Not sure if it's the proper name, something I make sometimes - 2 parts rum, 1 lime, 1 falernum, bitters & crushed ice - Bajan Swizzle?

jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-04 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-30 16:09, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

Jasper's Witch Doctor
J Wray and Ting
Stranger's Club Gin Fizz

Where do these recipes come from???

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-04 1:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-04 13:21, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-11-30 16:09, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

Jasper's Witch Doctor
J Wray and Ting
Stranger's Club Gin Fizz

Where do these recipes come from???

The Witch Doctor comes from jasper Le Franc of the Bay Roc Resort in Jamaica. The Gin Fizz is from the Stranger's Club in Colon, Panama. Both of those drinks were presented by Beachbum Berry at his Hukilau seminar this year and both will be in the new book.

J Wray and Ting (or JB and Ting if Charley's JB isd your preferred white overproof Jamaican) is a pretty standard Jamaican drink where J Wray overproof accounts for something like 80% of all the rum locally consumed. Posts about J Wray and Ting go back on TC at least as far as 2007, and the drink has also been widely discussed at A Mountain of Crushed Ice, Ministry of Rum, Kaiser Penguin, and very recently on the most excellent 5 Minutes of Rum podcast.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-12-05 3:09 pm   Permalink

Grog & Bumbo.

Grog being what the navy had (which included lime juice to prevent scurvy & spice to disguise the water being off)... like a Pussers diaquiri?

Bumbo being what pirates had (which didn't have to always include lime as pirates went ashore but did include spices)... like spiced rum punch?

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-05 3:37 pm   Permalink

Love a good Bumbo/Bombo. Can't find Sgt. Classick unaged gold potstill rum much anymore which makes an outstanding Bumbo, but Pusser's 84 proof with a splash of water, Demerara sugar and grated cinnamon and nutmeg is also excellent.

Gold Spanish style rum and coconut water is another Caribbean standard I left off my earlier list. Simple and delicious.

jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-06 08:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

The Witch Doctor comes from jasper Le Franc of the Bay Roc Resort in Jamaica. The Gin Fizz is from the Stranger's Club in Colon, Panama. Both of those drinks were presented by Beachbum Berry at his Hukilau seminar this year and both will be in the new book.

J Wray and Ting (or JB and Ting if Charley's JB isd your preferred white overproof Jamaican) is a pretty standard Jamaican drink where J Wray overproof accounts for something like 80% of all the rum locally consumed. Posts about J Wray and Ting go back on TC at least as far as 2007, and the drink has also been widely discussed at A Mountain of Crushed Ice, Ministry of Rum, Kaiser Penguin, and very recently on the most excellent 5 Minutes of Rum podcast.

Thank you very much! I'm surprised I missed the Ting. Now, to locate some in Norcal.

[ This Message was edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2013-12-06 08:25 ]

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation