FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Oklahoma Trade Winds Motor Hotel Sign on American Pickers
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Oklahoma Trade Winds Motor Hotel Sign on American Pickers
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-05 02:07 am   Permalink

I don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere. I did a search but didn't see anything.

I was watching my recording of American Pickers from earlier Wednesday evening and they stopped by:

Garrett Auto Mart
1133 W Gentry Ave
Checotah, OK 74426
(918) 473-5025

They are talking to the owner, Benny, and they look at an old Trade Winds Motor Hotel palm tree sign that Benny wanted $800 for. They offered $500 and he turned them down.

The sign was pretty weathered. However, it was cool to see.

The pickers get excited about motorcycles and old oil cans, but I always find myself trying to look off camera to see the Tiki stuff they are passing up. Neat to see an old sign get some attention.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-05 06:13 am   Permalink

I saw that, last night. The sign was pretty roached. Does anyone have any pics or info on this place? All I could find were these pics. I assume it's the same place.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-05 07:18 am   Permalink

Good find! I hope more info becomes available. If the sign in the TV show is the big sign from the front of the Trade Winds, then I think it's amazing that anyone would have saved something so large for all these years.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-05 07:30 am   Permalink

It would be nice to see it saved & displayed. The problem with signs that big is that, very few people, have the means to resurrect or display them. That's why smaller signs are more valuable. I'll give them credit for trying to buy it. My guess is it will just continue to sit in that junkyard until it is unrecognizable.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-05 6:26 pm   Permalink

Maybe a campaign to get the sign should be organized. Who's the biggest Urban Archaeologist here who could take on such an endeavor? It would be cool to see that thing rescued by the Tiki subculture. If it gets rolling I'd be willing to donate a little to the effort.

[ This Message was edited by: Matt Reese 2013-12-05 18:27 ]

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-05 11:16 pm   Permalink

I'd add to the fund too.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-06 11:54 am   Permalink

I would be great to save the old sign. I missed the show. Did the seller indicate which of the Trade Winds Motor Hotels the sign was from? There were at least four locations in Oklahoma. The ashtray lists three Tulsa, Oklahoma City and Muskogee.

The postcard that Bosko posted is from a fourth location in Clinton, Oklahoma about 70 miles west of Oklahoma City. This is the one with the bowling alley on the hotel sign.

There is more information on the Trade Winds here on Tiki Central.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12681&forum=1&hilite=trade winds

Both the Tusla and Oklahoma City locations and a Club Trade Winds Tiki-themed bar and restaurant. The Tulsa location was the home of the Frankoma Tiki mugs. More information on this location can be found on this Tulsa website.

http://tulsatvmemories.com/tulstiki.html

The Oklahoma City location boasted a Trade Winds Club and the Malihini Restaurant with a full Witco Tiki as the logo.

I found some postcard images of the Club Trade Winds and the Malihini Restaurant from the Oklahoma City Trade Winds on-line.

While these show some very early use of Witco Tikis in the decorations, the overall Tipsy factor is a bit disappointing.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-06 12:30 pm   Permalink

There's a Trade Winds display matchbook on eBay right now with a few hours remaining: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MATCHBOOK-1950S-FEATURE-HULA-GIRLS-GIRLIE-TRADE-WINDS-ALASKA-4-DIGIT-/171184689550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27db67118e

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-06 3:05 pm   Permalink

I saw that episode as well. If I remember right it looked hand painted and one sided. Small enough to fit on the bed of a flatbed truck but still a good size sign. Might be a roadside sign and it was really rough but really cool. They don't show the sign very well or very long. Maybe someone can get so screenshots from the episode and post them.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-06 5:33 pm   Permalink

Love the matchbook.
P.S.: DC, I'm not Bosko!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-06 6:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-06 17:33, Big Kahuna wrote:
Love the matchbook.
P.S.: DC, I'm not Bosko!

Boy, I leave TC for a few months and things go to hell.

First of all, that is a nice matchbook that TikiTacky added, but it's from a restaurant located in Fairbanks Alaska and has nothing to do with this thread. I would suggest that a new thread be started under Locating Tiki for that establishment so we can find out more about it. Or, we could just make this thread the depository of every Trade Winds sighting ever!

Secondly, the postcard that I posted was originally submitted by Bosko on the Trade Winds thread that I provided a link to. It listed the address on the back from Clinton rather than Oklahoma City which is why I referenced it.

Now, with all that being said, the description that Uncle Trav provided clearly indicates that the sign on Pickers was not one of the big neon signs from the hotel, but a painted roadside version. Would love to see a screengrab if some one has the show.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-06 6:55 pm   Permalink

I should know better than to doubt you, by now, DC!

Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-06 9:28 pm   Permalink

Welcome back DC

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-07 08:46 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2013-12-06 18:20, Dustycajun wrote:
First of all, that is a nice matchbook that TikiTacky added, but it's from a restaurant located in Fairbanks Alaska and has nothing to do with this thread. I would suggest that a new thread be started under Locating Tiki for that establishment so we can find out more about it. Or, we could just make this thread the depository of every Trade Winds sighting ever!

I created a new thread for the Trade Winds in Fairbanks, AK.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46590&forum=2

[ This Message was edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2013-12-07 22:13 ]

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-09 12:04 am   Permalink

Here's a screen capture:

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation