FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music What's your favorite Exotica Album ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
What's your favorite Exotica Album ?
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-28 1:19 pm   Permalink

Ukulele Ladyland from the Duke of Uke. Anarchy in the UK & Search & Destroy played on the Uke? Ya gotta love it! And on his 1st tape he does Communication Breakdown! Bwahahahaha!

Go to
http://www.duke-of-uke.com to see his Uke autographed by *the* Tiny Tim and listen to the man wail.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-08-28 3:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-28 10:46, new2tiki wrote:
Recommendations??

As mentioned above, try the Tamboo/Skins CD:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004YNF1/qid=1062104992/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8937332-9360941?v=glance&s=music

And the Colors of Brazil album might interest you as well:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000001OUN/qid=1062104992/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-8937332-9360941?v=glance&s=music

True, much of the exotica side of his output is hard to come by. Look for the vinyl!

(And please go through Hanford's Amazon link if you buy it online. Help Hanford make a buck or two!)

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-28 5:22 pm   Permalink

Yes, the "Colors of Brazil-African Blue" CD is great although not that exotica

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-28 6:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks Klas. Now I feel stupid. I actually have that one. I just meant a whole series so we wouldn't have to mortgage the house to get "The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter". I have a few of the LPs, but would like some nice remastered CDs.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-28 8:13 pm   Permalink

It's a damn shame more of Baxter's stuff isn't available the way Denny and Lyman albums are. I have quite a few of his lps, but they have the usual pops and clicks (or worse). I found my Ultra-Lounge Baxter set at Borders books for something like $28 last year. Keep looking. It's worth the effort.
--
I really don't have a favorite album. I keep discovering more and more cool stuff from the 50's that I like. Lately, I've been jamming to Tito Puente and Perez Prado. Not exactly exotica, but I do dig that crazy percussion.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-29 6:24 pm   Permalink

I'm a Martin Denny gal, but do also like Don Tiki and also the Tiki Tones. Overstock.com gets cd's by all of these guys once in awhile for short scratch and I pick them up when I can. My current breakfast cd is Skinny Dip with Don Tiki - perfect for that pre-run 4:00 am breakfast atmosphere!

[ This Message was edited by: scigirl on 2003-08-29 18:26 ]

View Profile of scigirl Send a personal message to scigirl  Goto the website of scigirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-30 08:29 am   Permalink

The "Exotic Moods of Les Baxter" is a must have item but since it is OOP and the people at Capitol think the Exotica/Lounge movement is over, it is highly doubtful that this CD will get reissued. Even the folks at Collectors Choice have said it is a dying fad. The sales of the new Martin Denny CD "Baked Alaska" they said have been poor. People have to start buying this stuff in order to see a reason to reissue like-minded titles. Speaking of Collector's Choice, they do have a mismatched CD two-fer available by Les Baxter with "The Academy Award Winners" and "Soul of the Drums". Look at www.oldies.com for ordering info. Pretty soon I imagine the Scamp reissues will be fetching big bucks as well because of their "out of print" status. Vinyl is the only way to go until someone of this caliber can reissue the classic exotica music of the past.

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sailor lee

Posted: 2003-08-30 11:51 pm   Permalink

Don't know if this qualifies as exotica but I've been listening to a disc titled "Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim" alot lately. It has a great version of The Girl From Ipanema on it. Its a real mellow record with 10 tracks. Also was wondering if Les Baxter records feature alot of the terrific organ music I've heard on the Baxter tracks from compilations? Has anyone heard the record "Cocktails for Two...Romance with a Twist"? If so what do you think?!

View Profile of sailor lee Send a personal message to sailor lee  Email sailor lee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-31 12:45 am   Permalink

Ahoy mates...I think it's unanimous...Les Baxter is the reigning king of exotica.

[ This Message was edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-08-31 00:47 ]

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTex
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-31 7:27 pm   Permalink

I'm getting some great ideas here. I've heard quite a bit of what's been mentioned, but don't know or have enough exotica to name a favorite album just yet. However, the best SONG I've heard so far is Les Baxter's "Jungalero." It just simply one of the coolest, most hypnotic songs I've ever heard. I listen to it over and over. LOVE IT!

~Tex

View Profile of TikiTex Send a personal message to TikiTex      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ecm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-02 6:46 pm   Permalink

i seem to reach for , martin denny , "quiet village " alot....on vinyl , of course.

View Profile of ecm Send a personal message to ecm  Email ecm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-02 7:40 pm   Permalink

Hey...I found a copy of Martin Denny's 'Exotica' (stereo LP) for $1. Cover is in mint condition. Vinyl is a little rag tag but plays pretty good. I'd say that's probably my fave Exotica album. I also have Arthur Lyman 'Yellow Bird' which is pretty cool too. He does an exotica version of 'Hava Nagela'. How can you beat that?? Bar Mitzvah or Jewish wedding at the Mai Kai anybody?

I scored a bunch of Hawaiian/Exotica LPs all in mint condition for a dollar each at the Salvation Army in Northport, Long Island earlier in the summer. Somebody must have really dug this kind of music, because there was like 5 lps in all. The best one so far was 'The Exotic Sounds of Hawaii' by the Milt Raskin Group. Although the cover of the record wasn't as interesting as the others, it was probably the most Martin Denny/Exotica-esque of the bunch, complete with birdcalls and all the other weird ambience. At some point I'll have to photograph my collection and post it here. I also scored Billy Vaughn-'Blue Hawaii' for a buck. Cool cover, but some real corny versions of Hawaiian type standards.

Now if my copy of 'Quiet Village' would get here already, I'd be happy. I've been waiting at least a month for some nerd on Ebay to mail this thing to me once and for all.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2003-09-02 19:41 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-02 9:52 pm   Permalink

Just recently came across the Lyman LP "Aloha Amigos" - haven't gotten a chance to listen to it yet, kinda nervous about what it might sound like...good cover though.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-07 11:37 pm   Permalink

Just got Yma Sumac 'The Voice of the Extabay' today. Totally ROCKS!!!!! My new fave Exotica. Definitely gonna get a few more by her!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-09 09:01 am   Permalink

Okay, here's what I would consider the "canon" [truncated] of Exotica albums:

1) Le Sacre du Savauge - Les Baxter
2) Primativa - Martin Denny
3) Exotica - Ted Auletta
4) Voodoo - Robert Drasnin
5) Taboo - Arthur Lyman
6) Rain in the Tropics - Gene Rains
7) Hypnotique - Martin Denny
White Goddess - Frank Hunter
9) Tropical Fantasy - Michel Magne
10 tie) Eden's Island - Eden Ahbez
10 tie) Mganga! - Tak Shindo

I'd say 1 and 2 are in the correct order, and you could jumble 3-7, all of which are truly enjoyable Exotica albums, with the remainder (8-10) being good and of particular interest to collectors. Unfortunately only a few of them are available on (legitimate) CD. But hey, you can always hear tracks from all of these you know where....

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation