FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music What's your favorite Exotica Album ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
What's your favorite Exotica Album ?
RemyC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-12 3:34 pm   Permalink

It would seem the Exotic Moods of Les Baxter is out of print on CD and fetching up to $159 used at amazon... I've looked under every online rock... no dice. So I was wondering if anyone on this forum would be interested in burning me a copy, which I would gladly pay fair market price for. Just call me: 203-227-2065 It's a must for the Tiki night we're going to be doing:
http://www.tikimoon.com
I'm getting a real kick out of listening to Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge right now:
http://www.live365.com/stations/brianeh?play
what a find!!!
I wish there was a computer in the bar, I'd just run a live line into the deck!

View Profile of RemyC Send a personal message to RemyC  Email RemyC Goto the website of RemyC     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-12 5:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-12 15:34, RemyC wrote:
I wish there was a computer in the bar, I'd just run a live line into the deck!

Do you have a stereo in your bar? I use one of these set-ups:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004Z4HP/103-9086651-0781433?v=glance

It sends my computer audio to my home stereo so I can blast Live 365 (Vegas Vic's, Swank Pad and others) throughout my home.

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2004-09-12 17:39 ]

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 10:37 am   Permalink

VegasVic,
Love your net radio station on Live365!!! In fact, I'm listening to it right now!! Keep up the great exotica tunes!!!!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WheelerIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-13 9:57 pm   Permalink

As far as Exotica on LP is concerned, a real find for me was "s'Pacifica" by Johnny Spencer and the Kona Koasters. An unsung masterpiece that rarely gets much lip service or write up but well worth grabbing should you be fortunate enough to come across a copy.

View Profile of WheelerIsland Send a personal message to WheelerIsland      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wushu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-14 04:52 am   Permalink

I am a big Yma fan, so Mambo is probably favorite, followed closely by Lyman.s Taboo and Leis of jazz

View Profile of wushu Send a personal message to wushu  Goto the website of wushu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WheelerIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-14 10:19 am   Permalink

Arthur Lyman was The Man. I was lucky enough to meet and see him perform live and have him sign my CD's, on a few occasions. In my mind "Hawaiian Sunset" is his magnum opus. I actually feel drunk while I'm listening to it.

[ This Message was edited by: WheelerIsland on 2004-09-14 10:20 ]

View Profile of WheelerIsland Send a personal message to WheelerIsland      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 06:37 am   Permalink

i enjoy most of the vintage exotica artists
and the retro dudes like Don Tiki...but
get a hold of Mambo Sinuendo by Ry Cooder
and Manuel Galban...it's worth it just
for the opening track "Drume Negrita."
Congatiki would never lead you astray.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 8:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-13 21:57, WheelerIsland wrote:
As far as Exotica on LP is concerned, a real find for me was "s'Pacifica" by Johnny Spencer and the Kona Koasters.

I tracked down a copy in a record store in Australia. I waited with baited breath for a few weeks for it to arrive. Opened up the package and found the record in three pieces. The horror....

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shiverbones
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-20 01:14 am   Permalink

I like Exotica as much as anything else tiki related. Great list Vegas, but this one is new to me!
6) Rain in the Tropics - Gene Rains
What is it like?

For Me White Goddess is tops, Strange Echoes alone would have lept that to the fore of any list, but the rest of the album is really solid too.

For Martin Denny, I really like Hypnotique & Primitiva with Afrodesia close behind.

Yma Sumac's Mambo is tops as is Perez Prado's voodoo suite

For Hawaiian I like Johnny Pineapple a lot, though only know of 2 records by him.

View Profile of shiverbones Send a personal message to shiverbones  Goto the website of shiverbones     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-20 09:46 am   Permalink

shiverbones,
I can highly recommend Rains in the Tropics!!! It is one of my top favorites and you can usually find that one used!

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WheelerIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-23 09:28 am   Permalink

"I tracked down a copy(Johnny Spencer and the Kona Koasters) in a record store in Australia. I waited with baited breath for a few weeks for it to arrive. Opened up the package and found the record in three pieces. The horror...." Vegas Vic

[/quote]
VegasVic, my heart breaks not only for you but for the whole tiki community as I know how amazing the album is and now there is one less copy of it in the world.
I vow to learn how to make my albums available on line for download and when I do, "s'Pacifica" will be the first that I put out there.

[ This Message was edited by: WheelerIsland on 2004-09-23 09:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: WheelerIsland on 2004-09-23 09:31 ]

WheelerIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-23 09:47 am   Permalink

[quote]

"6) Rain in the Tropics - Gene Rains
What is it like?"

-----------------------

I only have one Gene Rains album: "Lotus Land". Gene's closest musical cousins would be Denny and Lyman: emphasis on the piano but with a lighter touch than Martin at his most bombastic and perhaps not as dreamy as Arthur at his most mellow. Gene's music has all the usual hallmarks of classic exotica: echoing cymbals, sound fx of crashing waves, chirping birds, surreal vibes, etc. If you see it, grab it.

Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-23 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-12 15:34, RemyC wrote:
It would seem the Exotic Moods of Les Baxter is out of print on CD and fetching up to $159 used at amazon... I've looked under every online rock... no dice. So I was wondering if anyone on this forum would be interested in burning me a copy, which I would gladly pay fair market price for.

Would anyone be willing to do this? I would love to get a copy of the two CD's but a $70 asking price is a bit rich for my blood. PM me and let me know and we can work out the details.

Lingam

View Profile of Lingam Send a personal message to Lingam  Email Lingam Goto the website of Lingam     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-28 06:26 am   Permalink

Exotic Moods of Les Baxter @ $159.00 STOP!!!!

If you surf "in-print" Les Baxter CD's @ fair $ you'll
see many of the identical cuts on the above listed
rip off. About a month ago I saw this on Ebay with
suckers willing to pay over $60.00+ for this CD.Geez!!

Just think how many classic inprint exotica CD's you could
get for the same price!!!!

Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-29 06:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-28 06:26, Thortiki wrote:
Exotic Moods of Les Baxter @ $159.00 STOP!!!!

If you surf "in-print" Les Baxter CD's @ fair $ you'll
see many of the identical cuts on the above listed
rip off. About a month ago I saw this on Ebay with
suckers willing to pay over $60.00+ for this CD.Geez!!

Just think how many classic inprint exotica CD's you could
get for the same price!!!!

Thortiki

Yeah, I was amazed when I started looking for Exotic Moods. It is very expensive for niche music CDs. I believe in copyright laws and that the artists need to be properly compensated for music, however with CDs that is out of print and will more than likely never be re-released. I have no problem asking a fellow lover of the music to burn me a copy of it for the fair market value. I have often downloaded a couple of songs from an artist and then went and bought the CD. However if there is no CD to buy, what do you do? At that point I think you can have a friend burn a copy of the music for you without feeling like I was doing something wrong. Besides if I downloaded all 40 of the songs from Itunes (assuming they are all there) then the whole CD set would only be 40.

Lingam

View Profile of Lingam Send a personal message to Lingam  Email Lingam Goto the website of Lingam     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation