FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music What's your favorite Exotica Album ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
What's your favorite Exotica Album ?
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-29 12:16 pm   Permalink

Concerning the 'Exotic Moods Of Les Baxter', where were all of you folks (who are now desparately searching for it) and what kind of music were you into in 1996 when it was released? When I purchased mine back then I had never imagined that it would become such an out-of-print collector's item. After all, it was a CD compilation, not a slab of vinyl; easy to reproduce, easy to duplicate. Even Les Baxter fans who were total vinyl snobs purchased this double CD.

Brad Benedict was the person who compiled the CD, as he did with the Capitol Ultra Lounge series, Martin Denny 2-disc set, etc. He certainly deserves recognition and respect for his numerous contributions. But despite his contributions, I was told he wasn't well-liked by the Lounge and Tiki community; and I surmise he (sadly) no longer works at Capitol.

Anyone know if Capitol has a Seattle branch or affiliation? I used to work for MUZAK LLC as an Audio Architect (music programmer) for 4.5 years, and am no stranger to compiling and building custom programmes. Capitol needs another Brad Benedict. They're sitting on a goldmine (perhaps more a silvermine) of highly-sought-after, burried treasures, easily at their disposal, which they seem either blissfully unaware of or obstinately disinterested in reviving.

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BryanDeanMartin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-04 6:57 pm   Permalink

"Skinny Dip With Don Tiki" definitely...I've played it into the ground and never get tired of it. Les Baxter's "Ritual of the Savage" is another favorite (and one that I found for one dollar!). It's hard to pick a favorite Martin Denny, but I listen to Hypnotique and Primitiva probably the most...and I know these are considered more lounge-y than exotika, but Frenchy's "Che's Lounge" and Combustible Edison's "I, Swinger" are two of the greatest albums ever....!

View Profile of BryanDeanMartin Send a personal message to BryanDeanMartin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
missy_tassles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-15 02:06 am   Permalink

i agree - combustible edison are fantastic - their 'schizophonic' album is also very splendid.

i'd recommend pretty much anything by les baxter, martin denny, the eden's island LP, also the 'Let's Hula' LP by the Maile Serenaders (if you can find it)

if you're after some surf or kitsch tunes to add into the mix, a couple of my favourites, alongside most Los Straitjackets tracks, are the 'Surf Creature' compilation:

and the annette funicello compilation

- with tracks like 'beach Party tonight', 'surfer's holiday' and 'the monkey's uncle' (with the beach boys!), it always puts a big silly grin on my face!

[ This Message was edited by: missy_tassles 2007-06-15 02:06 ]

View Profile of missy_tassles Send a personal message to missy_tassles  Goto the website of missy_tassles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-18 8:36 pm   Permalink

I know everyone here (including me) have the usual favs like Lyman, Baxter, Denny, Stanley Black, Gene Rains, Jerry Byrd, Surfmen, etc., but recently I've discovered Robert Maxwell's Shangri-La and can't get it out of my head.

It may be more Space Age than Exotica, but the weird arrangements of popular songs featuring harp, oboe, saxophone and peppy organ (to mention a few) is so goofy and infectious, that I would be proud to spin it in any tiki bar setting! It's exotic alright, but not in the jungle-exotica sense that most people associate with the genre.

BTW, the title track "Shangri-La" was written by him and adopted by Jackie Gleason as the closing number for his variety show, for those of you old enough to remember it. More info available at the fabulous Space Age Pop Music website.

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-24 09:25 am   Permalink

I picked up Robert Drasnin's Voodoo II recently, and have really gotten into it. It has more of a loungey, low-key feel to it that is the perfect musical complement to a mai tai nightcap.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation