FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vic's LA Clipper's Tiki Mug
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Trader Vic's LA Clipper's Tiki Mug
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-13 12:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-12 17:19, TikiVato wrote:

Haha. Nice work my friend. As is S.O.P. on this forum, i was reading it this afternoon and was going to post about how this thread was about a rip-off of a particular mug and only a handful of posts were about that and then it turned into something else completely which had nothing to do with the original topic.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-13 05:50 am   Permalink

I'm guilty of that. But I look at it as human nature - going off on side-topics is related to others saying interesting and thought-provoking things. But you're right, we do drift. Maybe we should start a new forum to discuss how to make people stop doing that? Crap -- there I go again -- talking about starting a new topic instead of talking about a ripped-off mug design...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-13 06:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-12 19:14, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Seems to me that the " bone of contention” is the misidentification of the
“ L A clippers” on Ooga Mooga as a Tiki Farm product.

While I am for marketing to the masses, in order to keep Tiki alive, and don't like the Clipper Tiki Mug, I suppose it is harmless, if offered with the real deal, like the Fogcutter mug, based on their menu art, and the classic TV Coconut "Aloha" mug.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2013-12-13 06:58 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-13 08:26 am   Permalink

Rip offs are never "harmless"..

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-12-13 09:26 am   Permalink

It seems like a full time job for artists to fight people trying to rip off their designs. Most of them cannot afford to do so.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai

Posted: 2013-12-13 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-13 09:26, tikilongbeach wrote:
It seems like a full time job for artists to fight people trying to rip off their designs. Most of them cannot afford to do so.

So true, there are a lot of artists on Esty whose designs are being mass produced in China or by Urban Outfitters without permission. Oops, am I drifting awaayyy...... Mug is bad!

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-13 10:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-13 08:26, ron-tiki wrote:
Rip offs are never "harmless"..

Amen!! RonTiki!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-14 07:27 am   Permalink

What do they say "imitation is the greatest form of flattery"? Well, whoever said that was not an artist. They never worked to create originality. People who "rip off" the talent of others generally have talent of their own, but no creativity. You'd almost feel sorry for them were it not for the fact that they were making money off of that true talent.
It's a sad tiki mug.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-14 9:00 pm   Permalink

From the Late Great Wayne Coombs...

" Imitation is the sincerest proof of plagiarism!"

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-15 12:30 pm   Permalink

This is the problem in this well connected world we live in. Products get shipped out for manufacturing in countries without copyright laws or any way to enforce them and forgeries get made. Even for the artists not doing business overseas or south of the border their work gets seen online and somebody is copying it and most can't do a thing about it.

Posts like this are becoming more and more frequent these days.

Sad.

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-15 2:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-14 07:27, the75stingray wrote:
What do they say "imitation is the greatest form of flattery"? Well, whoever said that was not an artist. They never worked to create originality. People who "rip off" the talent of others generally have talent of their own, but no creativity. You'd almost feel sorry for them were it not for the fact that they were making money off of that true talent.
It's a sad tiki mug.

I agree...and thankfully you don't get much of it in the music business....musicians have huge egos (myself included) and frankly we like coming up with our own thing, and feel it is lame to copy someone else. Having said that, there was one gross violation of outright intellectual theft of one band's style on this forum. Made me sick to my stomach when it happened. I am not going to mention names, but the band is a direct rip off of Jim Bacchi's Tikiyaki Orchestra. The one saving grace is that unlike most generic products, this one clearly was not as good as the original. Took people a while to catch on. As far as art goes, I for one would be embarrassed to blatantly copy someone else's design.

Here is one notorious example of justice served. Little background here: jens Ritter makes highly original electric basses, and they are truly works of art (and among the most expensive basses on the planet)...thing is, at the NAMM show there was a chinese company who totally rips off Jens' designs...and in this classic clip, that company was totally busted by Jens himself, posing as an "investigating reporter" and catching this fucko in the act!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARyVweFJH5A

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-15 3:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-13 00:52, swizzle wrote:
Quote:

Haha. Nice work my friend. As is S.O.P. on this forum, i was reading it this afternoon and was going to post about how this thread was about a rip-off of a particular mug and only a handful of posts were about that and then it turned into something else completely which had nothing to do with the original topic.

Dat’s three.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-15 3:59 pm   Permalink

About those bastards who rip off artists
did you ever get trapped in one of those plastic dry cleaning bags?
it could happen......yea.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-15 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-15 15:46, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-12-13 00:52, swizzle wrote:
Quote:

Dat’s three.

The thread is about rip-offs, knock-offs and other intellectual theft. It doesn't just happen with Trader Vic mugs, but with a lot of things. If we are not free to discuss these issues, why even have a forum?

and by the way:

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-12-15 17:37 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-16 12:12 am   Permalink

[/quote]

The thread is about rip-offs, knock-offs and other intellectual theft. It doesn't just happen with Trader Vic mugs, but with a lot of things. If we are not free to discuss these issues, why even have a forum

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-12-15 17:37 ]
[/quote]

Cheers to that!!! People have come to me and said, "I had my contractor work on my tiki room for 5 years to make it look just like the work you did at the Kona Club in Oakland and Lee Unkrich's Tiki room."

Fuck that! I need to find a good attorney.

Keep up that "this is being derailed crap" and you'll get the old Bamboo Ben back! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation