FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » Visiting Oahu? Stay in our coconut!
Visiting Oahu? Stay in our coconut!
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-19 12:40 pm   Permalink

Aloha!
As you may (or may not) know, Ms. VanTiki and I built a micro house in our backyard in the lovely town of Kailua on the island of Oahu. We've dubbed it the Kailua Coconut, and we launched it on Airbnb a year (or so) ago:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/591375

It has been a great experience, and we really enjoy meeting folks from all over the world. We'd love to see more TC folks, though! If you do want to stay with us, book it via the Airbnb site, and mention that you are a Tiki Centralite in your room request. There just may be a special VanTiki welcome gift awaiting you when you cheek in!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/591375

Hope to see you soon -
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BronzeTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-05 07:28 am   Permalink

This is awesome. Definitely on my "when we go to Hawaii" planner.

View Profile of BronzeTiki Send a personal message to BronzeTiki  Email BronzeTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Spider Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-05 11:19 am   Permalink

Your place looks fantastic! super chill. I'm an airbnb host in San Diego. I have the "tiki bungalow" in South Park. Maybe we do a trade some time!

View Profile of Spider Mike Send a personal message to Spider Mike  Email Spider Mike Goto the website of Spider Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-05 2:04 pm   Permalink

How long of a walk to the beach? Any possibility you'll ever add an outdoor grill?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 4:20 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Everyone!

BronzeTiki - be sure to mention Tiki Central if you do come and visit!

Spider Mike - I looked for your Tiki Bungalow and couldn't find it. It sounds awesome! Send me a link!

TikiTacky - The Beach is less than a mile away. Half mile to a quiet section, mile to the main section (with food & kayak, SUP, and sideboard rentals). Kailua Beach is 2.5 miles long overall. Plenty of places rent bikes, and you can get to the beach in less than 5 min on one (we never drive in town if we can avoid it). I don't think a grill is in the upgrade plans for the coconut. My parents had one at their Bed and Breakfast when I was a kid, and it was a bit of a hassle to keep clean. There are lots of great places nearby though to grab a bite and bring it back here.

Aloha,
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Spider Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-07 08:11 am   Permalink

Hey Van Tiki, the link is: http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1579313 I'm sure I'll be posting my own topic for this place as we get closer to Tiki Oasis. Good luck with your listing, I'm sure its doing great. Hard to beat that spot!

[ This Message was edited by: spider mike 2014-01-07 21:26 ]

View Profile of Spider Mike Send a personal message to Spider Mike  Email Spider Mike Goto the website of Spider Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Spider Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-25 06:47 am   Permalink

I noticed you focused more on the Coconut design and not so much on Tiki displays or carvings. I've had to resist the urge to bring in to much of my collections! Most people that stay at my Bungalow are only Tiki curious and not ready to be buried in mugs ,lamps and masks. I keep a few around for display but dust is an issue ( as always). Love your place and look forward to staying some day.

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 6:06 pm   Permalink

Mahalo!

Yeah, we kept tiki to a minimum on the inside of the coconut. In fact, the place is so small we kept just about everything to a minimum in there! Since the photos were taken for airbnb, I've added a lot more tiki to the surrounding lanais (patios/decks) - mainly in the form of tiki tiles hanging on the walls. If a tile cracks during firing, it gets hung in the garden. There are an alarming number of tiles in the garden!

Overall the place has a nice "Nautical Hawaii" feel - boat-like on the inside, and Hawaii ferns/plants on the outside.

Henrik "VanTiki"

Spider Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-01 9:40 pm   Permalink

Sounds fantastic, definitely on the Wish List!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation