FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki RIP Edward Malcolm (Mick) Brownlee Tiki carver In 1950's Waikiki. Canlis, Tahitian Lanai, IMP
RIP Edward Malcolm (Mick) Brownlee Tiki carver In 1950's Waikiki. Canlis, Tahitian Lanai, IMP
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-21 2:01 pm   Permalink

The master carver, Edward M. Brownlee passed November 24th. Here's a few snaps from around Tiki Central... Feel free to add when you come across them...

Responsible for the Matson Ticket office, Honolulu.

Canlis,

Naugatiki snapped this in the 90's

Tahitian Lanai Restaurant/Waikikian Hotel

International Market Place

Woodcarving at the Aku Aku, Las Vegas

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-12-21 14:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-12-22 09:56 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-21 5:38 pm   Permalink

Almost like he was waiting for you to get all your tours in before signing out. Too bad I couldn't make any of them, but you've kept his spirit alive.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 2:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-21 17:38, msteeln wrote:
Almost like he was waiting for you to get all your tours in before signing out. Too bad I couldn't make any of them, but you've kept his spirit alive.

mahalo. I'm surprised more people aren't reading this thread.

...what looks to be a different Edward Brownlee tiki at the Ala Moana Center that Sabu posted

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-12-30 14:41 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 2:44 pm   Permalink

RIP.
Getting to see his work at IMP on your tour in August was amazing!

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-07 12:30 pm   Permalink

Rest in Peace. Thanks, Phil for introducing me to Mr. Brownlee's art. Truly a tiki pioneer. I think about all the times I've been to IMP and it wasn't until the last time that I actually realized all of the history and beauty it held. I guess we look at things with different eyes as we grow older. I try so hard to show my kids the beauty that exists around them but sometimes they just can't see it. I had lived in Hawaii in the 60's and 70's but never experienced the IMP in its heyday. I was never interested when I was a kid. Now it is gone forever and I will miss it very much. Although some folks think of it as a tourist trap (I did for decades), it has some significant historical value of what Hawaii was like in the middle of the last century. No, its not authentic but it is still a part of our past. Congratulations on your wedding, Phil. May you live long and prosper...

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-07 5:31 pm   Permalink

Wow, that is some great stuff. There should be a thread here dedicated to these old school carvers and their works. And if there is, oops sorry.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-07 11:54 pm   Permalink

One of the best.. RIP Edward Brownlee..
Mahalo's Phillip for sharing that..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation