FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki HELP!!! What is this guy?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
HELP!!! What is this guy?
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-26 1:07 pm   Permalink

If any knows where I can find an "Asmat Fondue Pot", let me know.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-19 11:57 am   Permalink

I saw this statue at a flea market. The dealer had no idea of its origin other than "Pacific Islands" Would anyone be able to shed some light on where it might be from and approximate value? Thanks.

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-19 12:52 pm   Permalink

It's from Papua New Guinea. Nice carving too. If it's about 16- 18", I've seen that size/style go around $75-100 on ebay. Swap meet I've paid $15-20 for 3 different ones about that size. My personal sense of its worth puts it in the $75-90 range, if it's in a antique store retail setting. $50 or under would be a good buy for that one, in my opinion. Most I'd ever pay would probably be about $90, and I'd really really have to like it.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-19 1:00 pm   Permalink

Buzzy, Thanks.

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-20 07:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-26 09:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
I have yet to zero in on the true origin of these type of import figures that have flooded the American market in the last ten years. They pop up on e-bay frequently (mostly smaller sized), and often carry the term "Tiki" in their description, like here:

Unfortunately, they have nothing to do with Tiki style. On e-bay, they are also identified as stemming from Australia or Bali. And they are NOT "1970s souvenirs":

I say they hail from the foggy island of hacked wood. When I was asked to identify two found wood carvings on Storage Wars, one a Witco cat and one a full 4 foot version of the type posted here, I had to tell them that the cat was more Tiki than this figure.
More examples:

I actually rather like these, although I only have one. I started seeing these in gift shops in some of our Texas beach downs six or seven years ago.

Unfortunately, I frequently see them sold as "vintage" items. Whether that's due to their "primitive" inspired look or seller simply being disingenuous I don't know.

Would definitely be interesting to know who started this trend...

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-20 07:59 am   Permalink

Of course I am not sure but I believe the figures that you mentioned are different than the one I pictured.

drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-21 09:40 am   Permalink

They sell these at the February Gem show here in Tucson. There are literally hundreds of them at about 10 different vendors. They go for between 10 bucks to about a hundred for a the really large ones. One vendor called them Bonefigla or something similar.

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-10-21 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-10-20 07:59, ukutiki wrote:
Of course I am not sure but I believe the figures that you mentioned are different than the one I pictured.

I agree with you, the carving in the image you posted is not part of that flood of cheap Indonesian stuff.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation