FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Recipe: Looking for a few recipes
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Recipe: Looking for a few recipes
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 7:23 pm   Permalink

i googled dons spices #2 but came up short

dons spices #2
dons mix
dons spices #4
pom grenadine

and any others you may wish to add to the mix

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 8:03 pm   Permalink

Don's Mix = 2 parts white grapefruit juice and 1 part cinnamon syrup.

Don's Spices #2 = 1:1 vanilla syrup and pimento dram

Don's Spices #4 = cinnamon syrup

POM grenadine = cold process grenadine - 1 cup of POM pomegranate juice to 1 cup plus 1-2 ounces granulate white sugar.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 8:08 pm   Permalink

so if i already have st. elizabeth allspice dram, im just adding vanilla to that? equal parts vanilla extract?

what about the cinnamon syrup?

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 9:00 pm   Permalink

Syrups. You need to make sugar based syrups. Or just buy everything. From BG Reynolds like I do. And let him do all the work.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 9:01 pm   Permalink

ha thanks, i think its kinda obvious im asking for recipes on the syrups...but those that dont take sugar arent exactly a syrup

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 9:50 pm   Permalink

All the Mixes & syrups mentioned are sugar based.
don't use extracts unless you are adding them to a syrup recipe.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 9:51 pm   Permalink

dons mix has unsweetened grapefruit and cinnamon...err syrup. noted.

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 07:47 am   Permalink

The Bum's recommended starting point for cinnamon syrup is 3 crushed cinnamon sticks in a 1:1 simple syrup (1 cup of water and 1 cup of granulated sugar), bring to a boil and simmer a couple of minutes then remove from heat and steep at least 2 hours before straining and bottling. I use the cheap Badia canela cinnamon sticks and they are pretty short sticks so I use 5 of those in my syrup.

Jeff also recommends equal parts dram to vanilla syrup in the Spices #2, but the St. Elizabeth dram is has such a strong and concentrated flavor that I bring it way down — at 1:1 the allspice is overwhelming and at the recommended amounts in published recipes it overwhelms the drink in my opinion. To tell the truth, I don't keep Don's Spices #2 premixed on hand anymore. Instead when a recipe calls for it I sub straight vanilla syrup and then dash an appropriate amount of St. Elizabeth to give me what to my tastes is a balanced drink. Jeff's recommendation on a vanilla syrup is Fee Bros. but I usually just use the Da Vinci syrup you can find in the coffee aisle in the grocery store.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 07:51 am   Permalink

i have cinnamon sticks, demerara sugar, pom juice, white unsweetened grapefruit juice, pure vanilla extract and pure almond extract. will any of these work?

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 08:00 am   Permalink

You're in business with the cinnamon, POM and grapefruit juice. I've done cinnamon syrup with white sugar and Demerara and they both turn out good so I think you're set there as well.

Like ATP said, flavor extracts are only going to work if you add them to simple syrup. I do use a bit of bitter almond extract along with fresh blanched almonds when I make orgeat, but I haven't ever tried to use vanilla extract to make a syrup. And as expensive as real vanilla extract is I think you're better off buying vanilla syrup.

I've always wanted to make scratch vanilla syrup until the cost of whole Tahitian vanilla bean pods gave me sticker shock.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 08:03 am   Permalink

then i guess i dont understand the vanilla syrup with st elizabeths...i have a bottle of simple syrup here somewhere

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 08:13 am   Permalink

Vanilla extract is the super concentrated stuff you cook and bake with. Vanilla syrup is simple syrup flavored with vanilla.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 08:15 am   Permalink

so i just add some extract to the simple syrup?

im looking for the recipes, the step by steps. as i initially stated, i googled some of these and couldnt find anything. i found the falernum #9 but not the others.

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 08:35 am   Permalink

Like I said, I buy commercial vanilla syrup like you'd flavor coffee with (Da Vinci, Torani, etc.), but give the extract plus simple a go and let us know how it works.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 08:39 am   Permalink

if anyone has the steps to make the syrups, id appreciate it!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation