FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: Looking for a few recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Recipe: Looking for a few recipes
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 09:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-31 07:47, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
The Bum's recommended starting point for cinnamon syrup is 3 crushed cinnamon sticks in a 1:1 simple syrup (1 cup of water and 1 cup of granulated sugar), bring to a boil and simmer a couple of minutes then remove from heat and steep at least 2 hours before straining and bottling. I use the cheap Badia canela cinnamon sticks and they are pretty short sticks so I use 5 of those in my syrup.

I do not recall steeping 2 hours in the recipes, but re-reading, it is there. I need to do that. Mine is not as strong as BG's, but I think his is twice as strong as it should be. I have always simmered 15 minutes and strained.

I order my cinnamon sticks from Spice Barn and re-use them a good bit. I get the
10 inch ones. After a bit, they get retired when I make my next batch of cinnamon syrup and crush them up for it.

Now, what is the recipe for #7?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 09:02 am   Permalink

how many are there? 2,4......

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-31 11:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-31 08:39, nomeus wrote:
if anyone has the steps to make the syrups, id appreciate it!

I use a couple of cups of water, add 2 sticks of Cylon cinnamon and 2 sticks of cassia cinnamon and low simmer for about 30 minutes. Then strain, measure and add equal amount of demarera sugar. Bring to a quick boil to dissolve the sugar. Cool and add a bit of 151 to help extend shelf life. Refrigerate

In my experience, if you add the sugar first, it's easiser to burn it. Plus some of the water evaporates but the sugar doesn't so you can end up too sweet. White sugar works fine but I like the color and flavor that demarera adds

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 11:24 am   Permalink

2 cups water, 2 cups sugar?

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 1:14 pm   Permalink

Yes that's a basic "Simple syrup" and a base for the other type of syrups
I do like the store bought "Monin" syrups for your basic Vanilla, Cinnamon type syrups.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 4:07 pm   Permalink

i just made my first one, probably a fail.

1 cup of pom/blueberry juice (85% pom, 15% blueberry)

1 cup demerara sugar

i couldnt get it to mix cold so i added enough heat until it dissolved. added maybe 1oz of lemon hart for shits and giggles. bottled and in the fridge.

is the fact that i heated it going to ruin anything?

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 5:34 pm   Permalink

Unless you noticed pectin solids precipitating you provably didn't ruin anything. But if you are patient and shake the shit out of the mixture the sugar will dissolve. It may take a couple of days and extra shaking to get the last little bit into solution but it will dissolve.

15% blueberry juice may not throw the flavor off too much but I prefer to stick with the 100% pomagranate POM.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 5:40 pm   Permalink

Yea I got the bberry pom mix just to try

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 6:25 pm   Permalink

pom grenadine done

cinnamon syrup done (let steep for 1.5hrs)

whats the process on this vanilla? should i make it or buy it?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 6:55 pm   Permalink

Just buy it, because you need Vanilla Beans to make it
& enough good beans to make a batch could add up to $20 or $30 US
a bottle of Monin Vanilla syrup is around $8 and is all natural ingredients.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 7:12 pm   Permalink

thanks! idk if reynolds makes it but if they do, maybe ill get that. i have their passion mix which is quite tasty.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 8:23 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: nomeus 2013-12-31 20:23 ]

mamelukkikala
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-03 5:35 pm   Permalink

I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but here's is how I make my syrups;

I add a load of water in a pot and add a load of whatever flavors I want and simmer it for some time and after that I add the sugar. So let's say, for example, cinnamon.

A lot of water, a load of crushed cinnamon-sticks. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer till about half of the liquid has evaporated. An ideal time would be about 30-60 minutes. After that, strain it, measure it, and add an equal amount of sugar. Stir until dissolved.

If you're using fresh fruits like passionfruit; simmer the water with passionfruit as noted above. Add more fresh passion fruit after dissolving the sugar and let it cool with it for about two hours. Strain again and bottle. I've found that this technique results a really intense syrup.

View Profile of mamelukkikala Send a personal message to mamelukkikala      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-03 5:44 pm   Permalink

i like your approach...just get a bunch of stuff cooking and boil it down...

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-06 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-31 16:07, nomeus wrote:
is the fact that i heated it going to ruin anything?

I get around issues with sugar related to heating/boiling by using my blender. The blender is a good way to make cold-process syrups where sugars are fully dissolved. Blend the hell out of your mixture until tiny air bubbles make it milky white. Then let it sit and the air bubbles float to the top and gradually disappear. You're left with a nice clear cold-process syrup.

I have no experience (yet) making syrups which contain fruit puree. However I always think of how much the flavor of carrots change when you heat them and figure the same would be true for tropical fruits. So I think that heat can be your friend as much as it can be your enemy. You have to learn when to use it and when not to use it. Fortunately the blender offers a pretty good workaround for some, but not all, situations.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation