advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Wall help
Wall help
Tiki Timmo

Posted: 2014-01-02 5:28 pm   Permalink

So I'm setting up my first real home tiki lounge in a second living room (12'x16'). I could use some tips on what to do with my walls on a budget. I tried to paint a faux grasscloth, but it doesn't show up. I have tapa cloth for the ceiling, so not sure I want it on the walls too. Not sure I want to do bamboo fencing or matting either. Hmm.. just not sure. Any advice or tips? I searched the internet and it looks like bamboo, Lauhala, and tapa cloth are the most common. What other options are there?

View Profile of Tiki Timmo Send a personal message to Tiki Timmo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-02 6:20 pm   Permalink

I'd start by looking at all 10 pages here
Have fun

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-02 8:24 pm   Permalink

Agree...there are so many different styles posted here. Take your time and sketch out what you want and where. If there are any home bars in your area, link up with those folks so you can see some live. Sometimes it is good to collect your swag now and then it will give you time to review the pictures in this forum. Best of luck to you...post a picture of your space so people can give you suggestions.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-02 9:32 pm   Permalink

I used straw beach mats for the ceiling. Got them for $2 a piece. It actually came out pretty cool. Then I scored a huge roll of tapa that I used for the walls. Very inexpensive.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-02 11:19 pm   Permalink

I would look at the different Trader Vic's interiors,

They use a lot of wallpaper that looks like tapa cloth:

Here is one that they use ceramic tiles:

You might even try something with cork floats:

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-02 11:31 pm   Permalink

Here's an interesting idea from a vintage TV that was once owned by Merv Griffin:

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Timmo

Posted: 2014-01-03 4:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips. Apologies if this was a redundant topic. I know that bugs some people who use forums. I just haven't fond a lot of useful information yet and I live in a very un-tiki part of the mid-west. Not a lot of inspiration around here.

View Profile of Tiki Timmo Send a personal message to Tiki Timmo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation