FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » The Kahlua Hut , Hyattsville, MD (restaurant)
The Kahlua Hut , Hyattsville, MD (restaurant)
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-03 07:58 am   Permalink

Name:The Kahlua Hut
Type:restaurant
Street:1812 East-West Highway
City:Hyattsville
State:MD
Zip:20783
Phone:422-4700

Description:
a little-known / short-lived restaurant that produced some desirable tiki mugs during its run. best remembered by this mug - courtesy TikiPhil

TikiPhil spoke with an ebay auctioneer and they claimed that

Quote:

On 2007-01-30 21:55, TikiPhil wrote:
I just remember there was a place on the corner of Riggs and Ager Roads called the Kahlua Hut for a few years (about 1974??) and before that it was Jones Ice Cream Parlor (it may have been something else in between). It's in Hyattsville or Green Meadows depending on where you're coming from. It's not there anymore, of course!

based on the evidence that it was Jones Ice Cream Parlor and is now a bakery, at that intersection the address should have been 1812 East-West Hwy, Hyattsville, MD 20783, if we assume that the Kahlua Hut and the Outrigger were the same location with different names.

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar 2014-01-04 03:25 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-03 10:06 am   Permalink

This is arguably one of the strangest vintage mugs out there. The face is so pronounced, one wonders what it is based on. Maybe this naive rendering for the menu cover:

I always dig it when people incorporate Tikis into a fictional coat of arms

Someone just won this menu of e-bay for 20.- bucks…

…I hope it was someone who also owns the mug.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 03:23 am   Permalink

kind of a "derp" moment, but i realized that the address for the Outrigger matches one of the potential addresses for the Kahula Hut based on this matchbook courtesy Dustycajun, so i think we can assume they were the same establishment run under sequentially different names:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=42528&forum=2&1

CONFIRMED:

[ This Message was edited by: johnny dollar 2014-01-04 03:59 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation