FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Menu "acquiring" from active places: ultimate sin or slap on the wrist?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Menu "acquiring" from active places: ultimate sin or slap on the wrist?
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-19 2:21 pm   Permalink

Funny that it made the WSJ! but this is exactly one of the consequences of theft and disrespectful behavior- "fun" things get taken away. Seems liek alot of places that used to have brass mugs for their Mules now serve them in glasses (blech!) Why? Because too many people ran off with their brass mugs. I've been to a few places that now won't serve you a Mule in a brass mug unless you leave them a credit card or an extra $5 or $10, which all gets returned when you return the mug.
Quote:

On 2014-01-16 13:08, tikilongbeach wrote:
The theft of copper mugs from bars that make Moscow Mule's made the Wall Street Journal.

The link also has vintage clip from Smirnoff Vodka explaining the creation of the MM.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303330204579248472713932910

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-20 9:49 pm   Permalink

I thought I'd share this in light of this thread, from a buddy's observation. Enjoy.

http://instagram.com/p/japk_UCgzG/

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-20 10:02 pm   Permalink

Saw all those xerox menus at Trader Sam's last night, it is a bit of downer
but can't blame them.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-20 10:03 pm   Permalink

That just goes to prove what (almost) everyone has been saying. How sad.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 5:12 pm   Permalink

That's a shame! I noticed one TCer posting pics of his home bar with Trader Sam's menus scattered about. I hope he acquired them legitimately.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 5:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-21 17:12, Big Kahuna wrote:
I hope he acquired them legitimately.

Nah that's impossible currently. I won't deny that I'd love to have several menus (as finky pointed out, there are several variations and updates as the mug illustrations were added in) but I won't steal one in order to have one. I've put in a few eBay bids here and there but I have my max bid rather low (over pricing and all.)

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 6:20 pm   Permalink

That's what I thought!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-21 6:21 pm   Permalink

I agree that these establishments should be supported and not stolen from. We all like our menus, but in my experience, if you ask you will almost always get one. Bars that make new menus often will usually give you one of their old menus, all you have to do is ask. You might find that a local artist designed a new menu and he is selling off a few signed copies, perfect time to purchase one. I recently asked about getting one of the old Mai Kai menus. They were happy to sell me one for $10 and that sounded perfectly fair to me.

I agree Disney has lots of money and sometimes it is hard to tell who is the one being ripped off, but to steal a menu just to put it on ebay? This is why we don't have nice things.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 6:29 pm   Permalink

So True!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 9:40 pm   Permalink

Oh, that just blows. Fuckin' people.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-20 21:49, kkocka wrote:
I thought I'd share this in light of this thread, from a buddy's observation. Enjoy.

http://instagram.com/p/japk_UCgzG/

Ah jesus, Keith, that's depressing if it's really due to theft.
I'm sure that Disney won't permanently go to Xerox menus, but at some point we'll be left with ONLY laminate menus with minimal art b/c of all the theft. If they do, maybe they'll hire one of our esteemed Tiki artists to design a new menu that can also be sold, ala Forbidden Island.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-25 11:16 pm   Permalink

Not hardly on the level of an expensive menu but my wife asked for a clean placemat to keep as a memento from Minnie’s in Modesto and the barkeep graciously gave her two. I carelessly tossed em in the back seat and now they’re wrinkled. Oh well.
Asking is the way to go,imho.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-26 12:48 am   Permalink

David, I asked if I could have the big Tiki in the Hidden Village at Don's today
but was tossed out the door, guess it doesn't always work?

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-26 02:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-26 00:48, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
David, I asked if I could have the big Tiki in the Hidden Village at Don's today
but was tossed out the door, guess it doesn't always work?

You shudda smiled-How could they say no?
Cheers
Btw, what are you doing up so late after a long day at Don’s? Hope you guys had a good day.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-26 02:16 am   Permalink

Just had a very long nap....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation