FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » Kona club Oakland?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kona club Oakland?
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-13 8:02 pm   Permalink

Gonna be in the Oakland area next week. Fo sure I’ll visit my Favorite watering hole Forbidden Island and also Trader Vic’s Emeryville.
Any Norcal Ohana have an opinion on Kona?
Mahalo

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-13 8:04 pm   Permalink

Go to The Kona Club!!! It was created by Bamboo Ben You should check out The Conga Lounge too!! http://www.congalounge.com/

[ This Message was edited by: woohoowahine 2014-01-13 20:06 ]

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-13 10:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-13 20:04, WooHooWahine wrote:
Go to The Kona Club!!! It was created by Bamboo Ben You should check out The Conga Lounge too!! http://www.congalounge.com/

[ This Message was edited by: woohoowahine 2014-01-13 20:06 ]

I love the kona club. the conga lounge is also nice, but has limited hours. both are within walking distance of each other with trader vic's grave in between.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 7:02 pm   Permalink

On my way to Reno to visit my brother (not David)tomorrow. Gonna make an overnight pit stop in Emeryville. Gonna swing by Forbidden Island, Kona Club, Conga Lounge and of course Trader Vic's. I am excited about Kona and Conga as we have never been.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 7:34 pm   Permalink

I actually LOVE the mai tais at Conga Lounge --even over Forbidden Island. They are a different recipe and one of my favorite drinks. Its a small place but if you get there early you can find a place to sit and order food from downstairs.

I love Kona Club's atmosphere but to be honest the male bartenders that work there..well..they suck. They provide really craptastic service so I hope one of the gals are working. If you have both (a girl and a guy) go to the girl. I was going there a lot because it was so close to my apartment but I finally got tired of the service and stopped. Hopefully you will luck out!

I am sending you my phone number...let me know when you are at Forbidden Island--I will come meet you!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-15 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-15 19:02, TikiVato wrote:
On my way to Reno to visit my brother (not David)tomorrow. Gonna make an overnight pit stop in Emeryville. Gonna swing by Forbidden Island, Kona Club, Conga Lounge and of course Trader Vic's. I am excited about Kona and Conga as we have never been.

Woohoo! Have a Safe & Fun Trip! When you are at The Conga Lounge make sure you get some pizza from Cafe Rustica. It is Very Yummmy!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 8:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-15 19:34, SandraDee wrote:

I am sending you my phone number...let me know when you are at Forbidden Island--I will come meet you!

I also sent you mine. Thanks for the tips.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 8:35 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

Woohoo! Have a Safe & Fun Trip! When you are at The Conga Lounge make sure you get some pizza from Cafe Rustica. It is Very Yummmy!
[/quote]
I love good pizza. Thanks Karen.

TikiVato

Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 5:06 pm   Permalink

Is the Kona Club still open their website has been done for months? We went once last year beyond the solid Tiki décor, the drinks were so so. Had a kind of local townie bar vibe. Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 10:40 pm   Permalink

Yes, they are still open

I live right down the street and drove by yesterday.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lloyd*AloHHHa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:04 pm   Permalink

We will be headed down to Forbidden Island, then possibly Trader Vic's and then topping it off at Smuggler's Cove on Feb. 8th. Any other Tikiphiles wanna join us? My next trip, I definitely wanna plan a Conga Lounge-Trader Vic's grave, and the Kona Club! Those places look killah!

[ This Message was edited by: Lloyd*AloHHHa 2014-01-28 20:28 ]

View Profile of Lloyd*AloHHHa Send a personal message to Lloyd*AloHHHa  Email Lloyd*AloHHHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-29 09:39 am   Permalink

On Feb. 8th, between 7:30 and 8:30 PM Trader Vic's Emeryville will be celebrating Chinese New Year with a troop parading through the restaurant and lounge in the traditional lion costume accompanied by banging of drums. This will take place on Friday the 7th starting at 7:30 as well.

Also, TV Emeryville just upgraded their cocktail menu to include many of their classic drinks. The menu has also returned to the classic style. Be sure to read the Trader's "Ode to Rum" on back where he gives tribute to many great bartenders of old, especially Donn Beach. What other of his contemporaries bothered to do that? It goes to show what an upstanding classy guy he was. By the way, his "Ode to Rum" as printed on the menu first appeared nearly word for word in his first book, "Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink" which was published in 1946.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2014-01-29 10:32 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lloyd*AloHHHa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-04 11:01 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for that info, brah! We just might have to make a quick stop before heading out to Smuggler's Cove in SF!

View Profile of Lloyd*AloHHHa Send a personal message to Lloyd*AloHHHa  Email Lloyd*AloHHHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 08:19 am   Permalink

As someone who goes to Trader Vic's pretty much weekly their Happy Hour menu has been revamped and is a HUGE let down on not only drinks featured but portions of appetizers versus price you pay.

Its pretty lame compared to how great it was less than 3 weeks ago.

They did bring back their extensive cocktail menu and all of the drinks I had were fantastic.

Not too impressed with how much ice they use in their mai tais--I think you get 3-4 sips--but the flavor is great.

Also they just started using these awesome vintage style paper coasters which is new for them.

Nice to see this vintage touch make a return:

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 11:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-05 08:19, SandraDee wrote:
As someone who goes to Trader Vic's pretty much weekly their Happy Hour menu has been revamped and is a HUGE let down on not only drinks featured but portions of appetizers versus price you pay.

Its pretty lame compared to how great it was less than 3 weeks ago.

They did bring back their extensive cocktail menu and all of the drinks I had were fantastic.

Not too impressed with how much ice they use in their mai tais--I think you get 3-4 sips--but the flavor is great.

Also they just started using these awesome vintage style paper coasters which is new for them.

Nice to see this vintage touch make a return:

Celebrated our wedding anniversary at TV’s Emeryville on 23 January. Had Drinks in the afternoon. Dinner in the evening. The appetizers were so generous/filling that we had to move our dinner reservations to 8:00 from 6:00. Everything was perfecto! Musta just snuck in under the wire.
Miguel was working behind the bar and I recall mention of some forthcoming drink menu changes. Sounded at the time like just some additions would be made. I Like dem coasters!
Mahalo Sandra!

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-02-06 11:17 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation