FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Tikipedia
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Tikipedia
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-07 11:07 am   Permalink

Interested in creating an article on The Tikipedia but don't know how? It's simple. There are two ways to do it:

1) Click a red link in an existing article (red links mean an article doesn't exist yet). Then click "Create this page" and start writing.
- or -
2) Click the "Create New Page" button. Navigate to where you want the page to be. Type in the title for the page (just type it in normally with all appropriate punctuation), then click "Create Page" and start writing.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 11:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-07 10:07, lucas vigor wrote:
I have just submitted an article for The Smokin' Menehunes.

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=music:hapa_haole:page_title&s[]=smokin&s[]=menehunes

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2014-02-07 10:07 ]

nice! thanks for being part of tikipedia!

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimnky

Posted: 2014-02-09 1:39 pm   Permalink

I used the drink category of the Tikipedia to great success when planning for and serving drinks at the first cocktail hour in my new-ish home this weekend! The Hawaiian Eye and Blue Hawaii were well-received, though the Pegu Club (which I know how to make from muscle memory) was the most-requested second round.

The Tikipedia was a clutch resource, especially since I discovered when planning the party that my copies of the Grog Log and Entoxica! are MIA somewhere in the boxes of still-unpacked books in my basement. :S

View Profile of tikimnky Send a personal message to tikimnky  Email tikimnky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 3:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-09 13:39, tikimnky wrote:
I used the drink category of the Tikipedia to great success when planning for and serving drinks at the first cocktail hour in my new-ish home this weekend! The Hawaiian Eye and Blue Hawaii were well-received, though the Pegu Club (which I know how to make from muscle memory) was the most-requested second round.

The Tikipedia was a clutch resource, especially since I discovered when planning the party that my copies of the Grog Log and Entoxica! are MIA somewhere in the boxes of still-unpacked books in my basement. :S

wait..our tikipedia? really? thats awesome!!

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 3:57 pm   Permalink

If people start contributing, Tikipedia has the chance to be EPIC!

With wikipedia, you have a lot of people contributing a lot of mis-information, and some times straight up BS....

One great thing about tiki central is, we have a LOT of experts in most areas of tiki.....so TIKIPEDIA really needs some great articles written!

Take the drinks section, since anyone can edit, anyone can post alternate great recipes....Tikipedia is not meant to take away from tiki central, but merely to be an easily searchable compendium of tiki information!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 4:00 pm   Permalink

definitely, tikipedia is the companion to tiki central. absolutely not here to upstage or distract but to compliment. tikipedia is the bitters for the tiki central cocktail!

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-16 10:02 am   Permalink

check this one out

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=location:treasure_island_inn

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 9:15 pm   Permalink

still looking for people to contribute articles to the site or even just edit and improve on what we have already.

www.thetikipedia.com

TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-03-02 7:21 pm   Permalink

We served over 1,000 pages in February, so people are definitely visiting.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Const Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-14 3:22 pm   Permalink

Does the tikipedia have the "no original research" policy that wikipedia has?

[ This Message was edited by: Const Tiki 2014-03-14 15:23 ]

View Profile of Const Tiki Send a personal message to Const Tiki  Email Const Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-03-14 4:17 pm   Permalink

No. We're definitely not that disciplined.

What we suggest is that if you have a reference, add it. If you read something without a reference, take it with a grain of salt. My concern is that if we required that people be rigorous about adding anything, that nothing would ever get added. The people who are sticklers for details (like Sven) are likely to want to modify, correct, or question parts of articles. That's the way it should work.

TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-03-15 11:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-09 13:39, tikimnky wrote:

We've got a lot more drink recipes now (over 90 recipes with plenty more to come). There's plenty there to keep someone busy (and oh so drunk), but if you're looking for the famed secret recipes you'll still need to go to the
Beachbum's books. I had a good conversation with Mr. Bum about Tikipedia and the recipes contained therein so that we don't encroach on his or other authors' livelihood. He was enthusiastic and gracious, as always, and we were on the same page about it.

Still to come: Food recipes!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-15 11:30 ]

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 11:32 am   Permalink

tacky is blowing up the tikipedia!! lots of content on there now

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 11:45 am   Permalink

where the heck are the bands, restuarants and events? That's the kind of articles we need.

It's real simple (and tacky and nomeus, please correct me if I am wrong)

You sign up, and start writing articles!

You can even use an existing article (like this one from my band )

look at the colored hyperlinks..the brown ones mean someone has written an article...the red ones are needing articles...so after you sign up, click on one of those and start an article! On my article alone, there are 10 opportunities alone to create articles!

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=music:hapa_haole:the_smokin_menehunes

The thing about tiki central is that 90% of the "lay people" (I mean non-artists) are still experts on tiki.....that doesn't even include all the tiki artists...I would like to see an article for every artist that ever did a painting, mug, built home decor, bands that played in this scene, either active or defunct, and all the restuarants, bars and tiki events past and present...

Remember, this tikipedia does not replace tiki central...it is merely a great resource, especially for newbs....besides, who doesn't want their own wikipedia page? Only a few of the artists here are on wikipedia...and those articles were not always written by people who really know about the subject...this is a chance for everyone to get their 15 minutes of fame...and as hard as the people of this community work at tiki revival...I would have thought this would have been huger by now!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2014-03-15 11:56 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 11:48 am   Permalink

i totally agree. tacky did a ton of cocktail articles because they were easy and fast to do. not much too them but still time consuming none the less

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation