FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events 2014 Sacramento Cap City Tiki Crawl (October 3,4,5)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
2014 Sacramento Cap City Tiki Crawl (October 3,4,5)
Lloyd*AloHHHa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-28 9:42 pm   Permalink

Lookin' FANTASTIC, Wendy & Dan!!! B)

View Profile of Lloyd*AloHHHa Send a personal message to Lloyd*AloHHHa  Email Lloyd*AloHHHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-30 9:27 pm   Permalink

Here's the latest glaze test for the October Crawl mug. The color for the coconut and the lettering is now set. I still
need to run tests until I get the tiki to stand out.

Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-03 10:25 am   Permalink

A better image of the first glaze test mug. I'll still work to highlight the tiki. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 12:14 pm   Permalink

Its looking good!

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-04 8:34 pm   Permalink

Wow...that last picture is fabulous, it really shows off the mug. Another amazing crawl mug...thanks to Wendy & Dan.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-04 8:49 pm   Permalink

Thank you so much. I love making the crawl mug each year. Wendy

Tiki Hula wanted to work so I gave him the next glazing test for the Sacramento Crawl mug to do.

First I had him spray the inside and outside with water to start the capillary action to hold the glaze on tighter.

Next he painted three layers on the tiki with a small brush.

Dan played music for us while we worked.

The front is all done.

The back lettering is all done.

I took over for a few moments to use a wet washcloth to rub off the excess glaze.

Working on one mug a day to perfect it the best I can.

It was hard being outside working on a kickstarter mug for Tiki Atari so we moved back inside. Tiki Hula painted 3 layers around the rim of the coconut.

Next I had him pour in the jar and swirl it around until all the inside was covered three times with the rotation.

The layers of glaze around the rim act like a barrier to keep the glaze from spilling out.

The last step was three layers of glaze on the outside of the coconut.

This test is different because the black was added first and covered with the brown glaze. If the black shows up this is how all the mugs will be done.

Done and drying.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-09 9:07 pm   Permalink

Yee Haw...Mike's a glazing wild man!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 8:04 pm   Permalink

I'm on for the crawl and thanks Wendy for saving me my normal crawl mug #. Cant wait.

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-24 7:38 pm   Permalink

Here's Mike's mug.

The Sacramento crawl mug test showed that three layers of glaze is too much. It ran to the bottom and glued to the stilts. Better that than to the shelf in the kiln. That's why I always fire on the stilts.

I knocked them off with a hammer and Dan will dremmel the bottom flat.

The highlighting with black on the tiki worked well. I'll probably do one more test and then I'll know what I want to do for the final mug.

You are welcome ChopTopDaddy. I bet your little daughter is running you around by now. She sure was quite at the last crawl.

Cheers, Wendy

TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-26 09:38 am   Permalink

I think the brown underglaze is perfect. Maybe just a coat or two of clear on top? And I vote for painting the tiki with the gold pinstripe paint....as long as it stays put with washings.

Great job Wendy!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-13 2:14 pm   Permalink

I can host this year on Sunday.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-13 5:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks Matt....will you be able to host the Tiki Marketplace? I will send you an email as I think we now have a full schedule. Much appreciated.

Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-14 10:42 am   Permalink

Hey guys!

Any updates for the Crawl this year?

Trying to arrange to come up from San Francisco.

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-14 11:50 am   Permalink

Hey Vamp! I think I might come up for the crawl this year. Please add me to the list! Cheers, Jen

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-14 11:15 pm   Permalink

That would be great. I now have a full line up to cover Friday night, Saturday & Sunday. Map is posted at the start of this thread. Sunday we will shop till we drop...Swanberg's in the morning, then the Marketplace in the afternoon at Matt's, and closing up the crawl at the Mahalo Tiki Shop with Nelson & Mary.

Post if you are going to crawl and PM me your email address for the address send out as we get closer to the event.

Check out the awesome t-shirt Lauren has at Swanberg's.

Also, only a few mugs left from Wendy, so post if you want one.

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2014-07-19 17:50 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation