FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events 2014 Sacramento Cap City Tiki Crawl (October 3,4,5) CRAWL PICTURES
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
2014 Sacramento Cap City Tiki Crawl (October 3,4,5) CRAWL PICTURES
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-20 01:18 am   Permalink

Hey! I didn't know you guys were taking volunteers? I wanna come over to watch the process and paint mugs for you! I can be there on my bicycle in 15 minutes or less!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 12:21 am   Permalink

For those that didn't attend last year we had purchased a 1980 Mid-Century Modern "style" Streng Atrium and moved in just 8 weeks prior to last year's crawl.
We still want to purchase and install a ton of bamboo and thatch but here's a little background:
Our main influence is Disney's Adventureland. With that in mind we have several "themed" rooms, including Tiki, The Pirate's Lair, Undersea Theater and more. Remember we have not even been in the house a year yet....but it's making progress.
To see photos of the yard and interior shots please visit our page on Facebook and "LIKE" us.

Mahalo and hope to see you in the flesh at The Headhunter's Hideaway and Jungle Room Lounge
Dr.TikiMojo

https://www.facebook.com/HeadhuntersHideawayandJungleRoomLounge?ref=hl

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-31 2:19 pm   Permalink

Capt Tiki and I are crawling, but probably won't make all the stops. Aloha!

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-02 9:45 pm   Permalink

I'll be posting photos of the mugs in progress soon. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-04 08:22 am   Permalink

While the kickstarter mugs were in the kiln I started to work again on the Sacramento Crawl mugs.

First step is to spray them with water so that the glaze will stick better.

This time around I'm using a squeeze bottle filled with under-glaze to fill in the letters.

I did amento first and let it dry so that it wouldn't run out.

Then I did the Sacr and CA.

Next I did the Albert's Tiki Village and

then using a brush I covered the tiki.

Back to the squeeze bottle for the bottom.

25 drying before the next step.

I used a wet wash cloth to rub off the front

the back and the bottoms.

One at a time

I get them done.

I don't just keep sheets on my furniture because our cat is destructive I do it so I can pile tiki projects on the surfaces.
This home is a tiki factory and depository.

The first step of glazing is done for 25 now I'll start on the next 25. Dan's already carrying them to the table.

Thank you for the visit, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-05 9:20 pm   Permalink

Progress Report on the Sacramento Crawl mugs. I've been working on the second half for a couple of days. Here's where I stopped tonight.

Now they will dry for a few days before I wipe off all the extra glaze.

One step at a time, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-16 11:05 am   Permalink

Next steps.

I wiped off the excess glaze from the second half of the mugs.

Sometimes the washcloth took off too much. For some I used an underglaze pencil to put the line back and sometimes I painted it back on. I had to check the bottom of every mug to make sure they were OK. My bottoms are hand done so they don't look manufactured.

My next day I prepared to glaze all the insides so that they would be white there and around the edge. These are coconut mugs with white meat. My first plan was to fill the mug and coat the inside and then to put them upside down on these plates to drain further. Then I would smooth the outer edge when I picked them up. I changed my mind see how below.

I set up another table and brought all the mugs together. My goal is to get the insides done in one day.

I poured in the glaze and coated the insides.

Then I quickly poured out the excess. Instead of putting it down on a plate I had found bowls that fit the coconuts so that they could drain into the bowl.

6 at a time could drain.

Also I would use a spatula every so often to clean out the bowls and put the glaze back into the pitcher.

Another 8 draining.

When I turned them over I spread the glaze around the rim with my finger.

I made it. In one day I did all the crawl mugs interiors.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-17 9:10 pm   Permalink

I'm catching up my photos. Here's four days worth of work on the Sacramento Crawl mugs.

I need an unglazed spot to mark the 1/50, 2/50 etc. on the bottoms. I cut pieces of painters blue tape and put in on the bottom of each of the mugs.

Then I walked around each table and painted over the tape covering the bottoms with glaze.

I finished the bottoms in one day.

The next morning I decided that I needed to do more of the sides before flipping them over. This photo shows how far down the sides I ran the glaze. Another day gone.

The mugs dried overnight and now on the third day I flipped them over and glazed from under the rim down.

One table down two to go.

Now all three tables full have one layer done. They dried overnight.

On the fourth day I did the second layer

and put them on trays on the floor as I worked.

Glaze layer number two done after 9 hours of work. One more layer left to do.

Cheers, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-18 9:36 pm   Permalink

Now that I'm putting on the third layer of glaze I am also adding one more layer to the top edge and

pulling off the blue tape so I can number them.

Once they were all done they went into the 90 degree heat of the backyard to dry out for several hours.

Into the kiln. I was just able to do three layers. 21 mugs per load.

I brought the rest of the mugs into the shed where it will get real hot.

Dan surprised me by putting boxes together. There's still a lot left to do. Before they go into the boxes but this just puts us a step ahead.

I hope everyone is safely home from Tiki Oasis.

Cheers, Wendy

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-18 10:55 pm   Permalink

Wow...what a wonderful production line you have going on there!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-19 07:37 am   Permalink

hey, missed you 2 at tiki oasis!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-19 08:21 am   Permalink

VampiressRN our home is our factory! Good thing I love doing these and Dan helps so much. His name is on the bottom of the crawl mugs.

kingstiedye we saw a photo of you at Tiki Oasis so we knew you were there having a blast. Mahalo Tiki is bringing back a Buzzy pinup for us to hang in the Buzzy Bedroom. We hope to make it next year.

Soon I'll open the kiln to see if they turned out. Cheers, Wendy

JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-19 2:13 pm   Permalink

Go ahead and take me off the crawler list; I'll be living on the other side of the country by then.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-20 07:53 am   Permalink

I hope you have a good move. We'll miss you. Wendy

I opened the kiln to find all those coconuts waiting to be removed.

I still plan to paint them with some pin-striping gold paint to highlight the tiki and lettering.

The second of three shelves. I can't put a mug under the thermal couple on the left because it shoots out specks of black metal.

21 out of the kiln.

21 more into the kiln to fire.

closing the lid.

=============================================================

Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-20 2:29 pm   Permalink

Great work Wendy! Getting excited!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation